Looking for a scripture...

by Tuesday 22 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

Any help would be fantastic. The scripture is one that is lik Luke 21:8 saying beware of those saying the end is near. However I'm fairly sure it's in one of the books of Timothy. I know it was a quote from Paul. Someone posted it a while ago and I was floored at how it applied to Paul. I actually wrote them a private message about it, but it was more than a month ago so I can't pull it up. Any help would be so fantastic I can't even tell you. Thanks in advance everyone.

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

1 Timothy 1

3As I urged you when I went into Macedonia, stay there in Ephesus so that you may command certain men not to teach false doctrines any longer 4nor to devote themselves to myths and endless genealogies. These promote controversies rather than God's work—which is by faith. 5The goal of this command is love, which comes from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith. 6Some have wandered away from these and turned to meaningless talk. 7THEY WANT TO BE TEACHERS OF THE LAW, BUT THEY DO NOT KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT OR WHAT THEY SO CONFIDENTLY AFFIRM.

8We know that the law is good if one uses it properly. 9We also know that law[a] is made not for the righteous but for lawbreakers and rebels, the ungodly and sinful, the unholy and irreligious; for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers, 10for adulterers and perverts, for slave traders and liars and perjurers—and for whatever else is contrary to the sound doctrine 11that conforms to the GLORIOUS GOSPEL OF THE BLESSED GOD, WHICH HE ENTRUSTED TO ME.

1 Timothy 6

3If anyone teaches false doctrines and does not agree to the sound instruction of our Lord Jesus Christ and to godly teaching, 4he is CONCEITED AND UNDERSTANDS NOTHING. He has an UNHEALTHY INTEREST IN CONTROVERSIES AND QUARRELS about words that result in envy, strife, malicious talk, evil suspicions 5and constant friction between men of corrupt mind, who have been robbed of the truth and who think that godliness is a means to financial gain.

20Timothy, guard what has been entrusted to your care. Turn away from godless chatter and the OPPOSING IDEAS OF WHAT IS FALSELY CALLED KNOWLEDGE, 21which some have professed and in so doing have wandered from the faith.

• Guest with Questions
    Guest with Questions

Could it be this one: But avoid foolish controversies and geneologies and arguments and quarrels about the law, because these are unprofitable and useless. Titus 3:9

• golf2
  • golf2
  • FireNBandits
    FireNBandits

The problem I see is that anyone can use this against anyone else who teaches differently than they do, or differently than their church/pastor/denomination/favorite tv preacher. Since the NT does not come with either an inspired Table of Contents (The current canon was brought together by the Catholic church, both Roman and Byzantine, by a number of church councils convened for the purpose) or a detailed Creed, it renders these verses almost useless. It leaves these verses in a subjective sea of opinion as to what constitutes "true Christianity." Everyone seems to be quite sure they know what it is, but they're all saying different things. Christnedom is broadly and deeply divided on every doctrinal issue imaginable. No, I don't pretend to have the answer, but neither do I exclude someone from the kingdom because they disagree with me. (Not saying you do either, that was just ageneral observation)

The following is an essay by Richard Carrier. It's a condensation of Bruce Metzger's book The Canon of the New Testament: Its Origin, Development, and Significance (Clarendon, 1987). I have directly hyperlinked to the site where this condensed version of the book is found:

Contrary to common belief, there was never a one-time, truly universal decision as to which books should be included in the Bible. It took over a century of the proliferation of numerous writings before anyone even bothered to start picking and choosing, and then it was largely a cumulative, individual and happenstance event, guided by chance and prejudice more than objective and scholarly research, until priests and academics began pronouncing what was authoritative and holy, and even they were not unanimous. Every church had its favored books, and since there was nothing like a clearly-defined orthodoxy until the 4th century, there were in fact many simultaneous literary traditions. The illusion that it was otherwise is created by the fact that the church that came out on top simply preserved texts in its favor and destroyed or let vanish opposing documents. Hence what we call "orthodoxy" is simply "the church that won."

Astonishingly, the story isn't even that simple: for the Catholic church centered in Rome never had any extensive control over the Eastern churches, which were in turn divided even among themselves, with Ethiopian and Coptic and Syrian and Byzantine and Armenian canons all riding side-by-side with each other and with the Western Catholic canon, which itself was never perfectly settled until the 15th century at the earliest, although it was essentially established by the middle of the 4th century. Indeed, the current Catholic Bible is largely accepted as canonical from fatigue: the details are so ancient and convoluted that it is easier to simply accept an ancient and enduring tradition than to bother actually questioning its merit. This is further secured by the fact that the long habit of time has dictated the status of the texts: favored books have been more scrupulously preserved and survive in more copies than unfavored books, such that even if some unfavored books should happen to be earlier and more authoritative, in many cases we are no longer able to reconstruct them with any accuracy. To make matters worse, we know of some very early books that simply did not survive at all (the most astonishing example is Paul's earlier Epistle to the Colossians, cf. Col. 4:16), and have recently discovered the very ancient fragments of others that we never knew existed, because no one had even mentioned them.

Consequently, to tell the story of how the Bible came to be requires an essay of some length, organized into sections of roughly chronological order. This is a summary of the consensus of scholars on the formation of the New Testament, drawn from Bruce Metzger's far more detailed survey of the subject, The Canon of the New Testament: Its Origin, Development, and Significance (Clarendon, 1987). All numbers in parentheses followed by "M" are pages in this text. I must excuse the tediousness of this essay--for the subject matter is inescapably complex and confusing. But I have condensed the material of Metzger's 300+ pages to less than 30 pages, added some of my own observations, and emphasized those facts most relevant to secularists and seekers.

I.Early Development
    II.Ambiguous Pre-Canonical References
    III.Clear Pre-Canonical References
    IV.The Need to Canonize
    V.The Gnostics Make the First Move
    VI.The Old Testament Canon
    VII.Other Canons
    VIII.Justin Martyr
    IX.Tatian and the Four Gospel Tradition
    X.Theophilus and Serapion
    XI.Dionysius, Athenagoras and Irenaeus
    XII.Pantaenus and Clement: the Seminary at Alexandria
    XIII.The Muratorian Canon
    XIV.Origen: the Seminary at Caesarea
    XV.Tertullian, Cyprian, and the Century of Chaos
    XVI.Eusebius, the First History of the Church, and the Earliest Complete Bibles
    XVII.Cyril of Jerusalem, Athanasius of Alexandria, and the Eastern Synods
    XVIII.The Eastern Canons
    XIX.The Western Canons

Related documents:
    "The Canon of the Bible"
    Larry Taylor's critique of Chapter 3 of Josh McDowell's Evidence That Demands a Verdict on the Christian canon. This goes into more detail about the use of books, the NT and OT canon, apocrypha, the effects of the Reformation, and most of all the modern rules and guidelines for defending canonicity.

Old Testament Life and Literature
    An out of print book by a respected professor of Biblical History, Dr. Gerald Larue, now available online. Covers the history of the Hebrews, with one chapter dedicated to the development of the Old Testament, including its reception by Christians. The following chapter discusses Old Testament translations and manuscript history.

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

Oops, I was focusing on Paul's hypocrisy in Timothy... not so much the "end is near." Sorry, will have to look again later.

~Sue

• Clam
    Clam

Most of 2 Timothy Chapter 3 possibly?

Happy Birthday Betterdaze!

• golf2
    golf2

Since no man knows the day an hour of the end according to the account in Matthew 24, the scripture that I sent to the org for them to mention dates is in 1 Corth 4:6 which says, "Do not go beyond the things that are written," Matthew 24 gives no dates., signs yes, but no dates.

Also at Galations 1:6-9 it talks about good news "beyond' was it declared it should be considered accursed. I hope this helps. By the way, the org. never responded to my 22 page letter.

Golf

• Mary
    Mary

Is it the one in Matthew chapter 24: 26

"So if anyone tells you, 'There he is, out in the desert,' do not go out; or, 'Here he is, in the inner rooms,' do not believe it. For as lightning that comes from the east is visible even in the west, so will be the coming of the Son of Man."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit