Second Life - does anyone know anything about it?

by Crumpet 17 Replies latest jw experiences

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

A girlfriend has just been telling me about "second life" a new free game you can download onto your computer. Does anyone know anything about it? has anyone played? She says its right up my alley but I'll have to wait til I get home to find out why!

• daystar
    daystar

http://secondlife.com/

Never played it, though it looked interesting when I saw all the hoopla about it when it was in beta.

• RedPill2006
    RedPill2006

Yep!

Here in a nutshell.

- SecondLife is like a community game (like a Forum in Graphical Form - it means: you interact with other characters=real people, make friendships, chitchat, walk around to discover the world, etc.)

- It is a complete world in Graphical Form. They have Houses, Shops, Restaurants, Seaside harbors, Fun Theme Parks, Adult 'Red Zone' areas (only accessible if you want and if you're over 18).

- You have to choose your outlook (do you want to be male or female? Black, yellow or pink? yes some looks are just plain ridiculous). Then you have to choose where to life (rent or own the place). If you wan't to own some place you have to buy it WITH REAL DOLLARS! or if you would like to have that latest piece of furniture/electronic equipment or swimming pool in your "virtual house" you have 2 choices: either you DESIGN it yourself or you BUY it from the many local shops (again: WITH REAL DOLLARS, better said you convert REAL DOLLARS into the local virtual currency - i forgot the name).

- Once you have these basic things setup you start your "NEW LIFE" (just sounded so WT ), you basically wander around, interact with objects (like drive around, play a game, play the guitar, etc. talk to people etc.)

Pros & Cons

PROS:

- Great way to meet people, have some fun (like you would with a Forum, only more graphical)

- Some people out there are making 100.000 US$ (REAL Dollars) monthly income with this game. How? Well, it has a big, rising membership and almost everybody that comes into the game wants they're own place to stay (like in real life sleeping under the Bridge is a whole new opportunity, but those newspapers don't really cover your butt in the cold). Since every NEW ADDITION of houses, gardens, etc. costs SPACE on the computer servers (remember they are all electronic graphical files) you have to BUY PROPERTY (in reality space on the servers). Some guys have bought whole ISLANDS or BIG PIECES OF LAND (measures in GIGABYTES) and now sell these off to the newbies. Great way to get into REAL ESTATE in the virtual world - in case you missed the big real estate boom in LA or downtown Miami....

Other ways of making money: Members that are graphic design oriented draw and create beautiful creations of clothing, convertible cars, furniture, etc. and you can BUY them off them. SO, if in real life you could never afford that new Gucci Design - here you can! (for less Dollars). You can even buy a local newspaper, Playboy magazine or go to a Party (some of these things are free, others cost virtual money).

- This is a fun way to experiment with a complete new lifestyle (in case you'd lost your REAL life to people like the Watchtower.....). Wished you be a Architect, Lawyer but ended up being sadless married with 5 kids and washing windows? Well, here is the opportunity to start "fresh". Born a guy? wanted instead to be a girl? Well, off you go....you get the point.

CONS

- I for myself like gaming. I also like contacts through Forums. BUT. These little baby here takes LOTS and LOTS of your time. So if you have lots of time to spend and like the idea of socializing on the net, than it is definitively for you. I personally like good fiction (like reading a good novel), but in this case I have to pass up since in my opinion you have to "transfer" your life into the computer (and this is from a computer nerd like me!!!)

- STEEP learning curve. If you want to be the cool kid on the block you've GOT TO HAVE some nice surroundings (otherwise your neighbours don't come to ya house to party). If your house looks like some box, empty and boring = no partying = no friends. SO like in real life you should get that 32inch Plasma TV onto the wall. You could design it yourself, but you will spend COUNTLESS hours figuring out how to do it so that it looks nice. You'll end up buying ready made stuff and spending money....(eventhough the game makers tell you that you can "redo your life" many things in the virtual world aren't different to the real one....well maybe getting that pink punk hairstyle with the odd clothing is fun and you can alway undo the crazy stuff (more complicated in real life!)

- The Graphics can be sluggish on many computers (I have a 3,2 GHZ HP Processor and still "my cool dude" moved around like a snail and the landscape moved like a good scene in a John Woo movie.

Here you have it - SecondLife in a nutshell. Try it out for a day or two. This is for the kind of person that likes social contacts that are more or less anonymous - you know its THE NET.

Wish this helped you and saved you some time reading up on this stuff.

RedPill.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

It did help me red pill! I dont think I will be forking out money on any virtual estate but I might drop in to play and see what it is like for myself. I do spend a lot of my time on the net - probably 18 out of every 24, but thats not a good thing necessarily and am thinking I should cultivate more of a real life than a virtual life!

Thanks for your guide - I really liked it!

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

This game IS AWESOME! Its a shame that it runs so slowly on my laptop as I really cannot move with any ease at all because of the lag. That said I can fly quite easily which I love. The amount of detail is incredible.

I am Fabia Forcella there if anyone else is in there that wants to add me as a friend. I am currently reclining outside the Lesbian Submissives club in Rimini where I had an exhausting but delightful night. Nothing has kept me up willingly til 2 am in a very long time!

• zagor
    zagor

Yeah, I've seen a documentary about it the other day and downloaded it but haven't tried it yet.

(I'm zagor there too lol )

• windchime
    windchime

Some IT related news sources in Japan refer to this game, too

and some Japanese firms set up their office or branch in it.

I had an interest and creat my account, then tried to install.

It doesn't work after all. My notebook PC spec was not enough for it.

• Peppermint
    Peppermint

Second Life = No Life.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet
    Second Life = No Life.

Too true - but since I dont have a life then its suits me perfectly and will keep me entertained until I can afford a real life.

Zagor whats is your full name on there though? you have to have a surname.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

It can be quite a strange thing. I once when to the area in the game where you are allow to build things for free just to practice. All I knew what that a giant float box of batman came after me while a strange song that amounted to nothing but jibberish was blairing in the backround. I haven't been back there in a while.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit