Oh crap,....reading What does the Bible Really Teach? can't stomach it

by *jeremiah* 18 Replies latest watchtower bible

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

I'd ask "Is the wtbts the Holy Spirit ?"

Reply that it appears the wtbts has a poor (perhaps disrespectful) grasp of language - it is the wtbts that is teaching - not the bible, which is simply a collection of books compiled by the catholics, millenia before the 'watchtower' existed.

The "What does the Bible Really Teach" book is from them - they're the ones teaching.

If one reads the bible, it says....in Jesus words.....the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you.

• vitty
    vitty

The JWs are so proud of their literature. they really think if someone read it they will see its the truth.

I would go down the road of how ridiculous and silly it is, how the scriptures are taken out of context. I remember the time I gave a family member a "revelation" book. I was convinced shed be impressed.

How wrong was I? She just handed me the book back ,shook her head with a small smile and said if you believe in that you are sillier than I thought. I was so embarrassed, I had no defence. That experience never left me. Now im not saying your SIL has to go that far but if she can call to attention that the book is riddled with bad reasoning, scripture hopping etc etc then maybe your mother would stop and think.

• *jeremiah*
    *jeremiah*

Thanks everyone!

Ok,...so Drew informed me that freeminds has a chapter by chapter book refuting the "Teach" book. I just ordered that and I will go through it with my SIL.

I appreciate your ideas and support.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

*j*

Is this the one? Good stuff! I've used some of this before. Works well!

Books About Jehovah's Witnesses
    NEW as of 12/11/06!

"How To Use the 2005 Watchtower Publication, 'What Does the Bible Really Teach?' - $9In Chapter One: What Is The Truth About God? Wilbur says:
    "Pages 8 & 9 of this Watchtower book explain how children ask questions and declare that it is good for them to keep asking until they get an understandable answer. At this point, you can explain that you have many questions and want to get a promise out of them that they will answer your questions in a way that you can understand. This is very important, because later on you will be asking many questions that they do not have an answer to or ones that they don’t want to answer early in your studies. "
    Time to put his new ideas to work in your ministry! This is a chapter-by-chapter study guide for those who wish to challenge the Witness with the Bible while studying their own "study" publication. 94 pages, paperback.

• metatron
    metatron

The New book is based on fraud. How so?

Because it encourages people to request baptism - without ever teaching them about

disfellowshipping. If a loan company did this sort of thing, they could be put in prison,

but because the Society is a religion, they are allowed to commit this sort of fraud.

metatron

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega

This has quite a good effect...

I can't see why "I should become a JW if they aren't honest with me"

*** bh chap. 18 pp. 182-183 par. 24 Baptism and Your Relationship With God ***

However, baptism is not a mere bath. It is a symbol of something very important. Going beneath the water symbolizes that you have died to your former life course. Being raised up out of the water indicates that you are now alive to do the will of God. Remember, too, that you have made a dedication to Jehovah God himself, not to a work, a cause, other humans, or an organization.Your dedication and baptism are the beginning of a very close friendship with God—an intimate relationship with him.—Psalm 25:14.

Yet once you are immersed in the teachings (no pun intended), this is what you find...

*** w06 4/1 p. 22 ‘Go and Make Disciples, Baptizing Them’ ***

[Box/Picture on page 22]

The Two Baptismal QuestionsOn the basis of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, have you repented of your sins and dedicated yourself to Jehovah to do his will?

Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovah’s Witnesses in association with God’s spirit-directed organization?

Not a very honest start is it.

Is this the sort of thing that you were looking for?

• Zico
    Zico

Jeremiah,

Have you noticed they don't even mention the FDS doctrine once in the whole book? It's their most important doctrine, and yet there's nothing in there about submitting to them and having to agree with everything they say, or God having an Organisation. I wonder if that could be worth mentioning?

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega

Zico,

We meet again.

You seem to be at all the best parties.

• *jeremiah*
    *jeremiah*

Deputy,

Yep that's the book. It should arrive any day now. I'm looking forward to it.

Zico, AO, Metatron:

that is exactly what I'm looking for....excellent points. thanks!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit