Oh crap,....reading What does the Bible Really Teach? can't stomach it

by *jeremiah* 18 Replies latest watchtower bible

• *jeremiah*
    *jeremiah*

So my mom gave my sister in law the "What does the Bible Really Teach?" filth and I'm trying to read it. My SIL (never a JW) wants me to help her in some kind of reply to my mom.

I don't know where to start. The first two or three chapters are soooo irritating because it is written as if the audience is fifth graders.

Also,...and of course,...right away, scriptures are pulled way out of context to fit their doctrines.

Case in point:

Do you think Jehovah God's purpose for people to live in an earthly paradise will ever be realized? "I have even spoken it", God declares, "I shall also do it".(Is 46:9-11, Is 55:11)

So if you look up those scriptures, God says nothing about paradise earth.

Anyways, I'm wondering how my SIL should reply. The "Teach" book covers a lot which makes replying difficult.

Should we just pick one issue and go into detail about that particular point?

Should we give a short review of the entire book?

(my SIL is christian) Should we give her a christian book about the bible, grace, salvation, heaven, etc? I mean,...I know that she probably wouldn't read it, but my SIL could give it to her and say,...look I will read yours if you read mine. Then we can discuss the two.

SIL-"Be honest with me,...will you read this book?"....my mom,..."no sorry, I can't",...SIL- "well, I'm sorry here's your "Teach" book back I can't read this either. Or she could ask,..."why is it that I can read anything you give me but you can't read one iota of anything I give you?"

Any ideas on an approach to a reply?

• RAF
    RAF

If she only wants to read WTBS materiel, show her the point you've made here (the out of context stuff to begin with) ...

• truthsearcher
    truthsearcher

I feel your pain! We are working through the book with the locals. We manage to make it through a couple of paragraphs per session. Yes, I believe I was told by an elder that it was written at a elementary school grade level.

It depends on the motivation for the sister-in-law, does she want to plant seeds of doubt? Does she want to get into doctrinal discussions? She will need to be super-prepared! There are a couple of documents on the Web of how to use parts of the book to ask questions on the WT doctrines, and I think you can order a book that goes through chapter by chapter. Also "Reasoning From the Scriptures with the JWs" by Ron Rhodes gives a clear understanding of JW doctrine and a Christian response to the various teachings.

But it is a difficult road to travel, especially if your mom is closed minded about the org. But you never know if this could maybe lead to her having some second thoughts??

I'd say the sister-in-law should pray about it and then if she feels led to do it, Go For It! (But be prepared and have lots of support--check the Internet for ideas on witnessing to Witnesses).

• found-my-way
    found-my-way

Jeremiah,

This book made me want to the first 3 paragraphs. and my MIL wanted me to study itas if I forgot the JW doctrine.

I would get your SIL to hand it back to your mother and tell her that this book was written for 3rd graders, and is an insult to the average intelligent person. Persons with above intelligence would not even bother reading past the first page because of how ridiculously it is written.

If I was your SIL, I would hand it back, and ask my mother in law to either find something else that is written for intelligent adults, or to not give me literature again.

Your other suggestions were great also!

just my two cents!

good luck!

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

I made it through a few chapters, with several notations throughout, before I gave up.

My mom had given it to me shortly before things escalated and when they finally did and she cornered me on the phone, asking what I thought of it, I said right off the bat I found several things within the first few chapters that I did not agree with and I felt were wrong.

She didn't know what to say other then show me. Bad timing though, I was putting my daughter to bed, otherwise I would have got my book out and read them to her.

I say go with the "If you won't read mine, I won't read yours." She might surprise you and your sil and read it. Doubtful though.

Otherwise, here is a good link:

http://www.catholic-forum.com/members/popestleo/bibleteach.html

It only has covered 4 chapters so far, but I found it pretty interesting and it might be pretty helpful.

• RAF
    RAF

If I do remember well that's (showing the out of context habit of the WTBS - in the reasoning book) which catch one of my sisters attention ... (since she wasn't interested in any JW victime story and couldn't get the wrong part of the doctrine) ... She is not out yet (I wonder why) but that's about 8 months (and it allowed me to go further on it all) and now she do not feel to say amen to whatever their books and elders do tell/order her ... which is a BIG step.

• garybuss
    garybuss

I bought my wife's Witness dad a large print leather bound NIV bible once and had his name embossed on it in gold leaf and he was pissed off at me because the name Jehovah was not printed in the New Testament portion of the book.

Next I built him a cedar Adirondack lawn chair. So far he hasn't chewed my ass for that.

On the issue of the mother and the gift book. I'd just drop a note in the mail that said: Hi mom, how are you doing? Thanks for staying in touch. Thanks for the book. end . . . that's it

My rule is never talk religion or Witnessism or scripture to a believing Witness. It's a very good way to loose rapport.

That's one of my boundaries, by the way and I do protect it. Boundaries need the most protection from close relatives. It's possible to be respectful and firm.

• RAF
    RAF

oh oh oh ... and about the bible (JW do think that all the bibles are alike which is not true and the one which differ big deal with others is the NWT once ...).

So it's interesting to show them that all bibles are not the same ...

Of course you'll have an answer like ... well the NWT is the right one ... but you still can show how they complicated it all (to make sure any would need a mentor to tell them what it all means).

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Consider "metatron's" thread!

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/96755/1.ashx

Nevada-

• Honesty
    Honesty

Why bother?

I couldn't get two JW elders to discuss this drivel from the "Faithless Slobberers" no matter how hard I tried.

The entire work is baseless bull doodle.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit