Jehovah creates Evil according to Isaiah

by Grammy 20 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Grammy
    Grammy
    Isaiah 45:7 (American Standard Version)
    7 I form the light, and create darkness; I make peace, and create evil. I am Jehovah, that doeth all these things.
    Isaiah 45:7 (King James Version)
    7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.
    I had never read this scripture before evidently, but I always thought the OT painted an evil god not a loving one.
  • Stealth453
    Stealth453

Lewis Black said it right....

"The god of the old testament was a prick."

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Deutero-Isaiah (Is 40--55) represents a central moment in the history of religion in the 6th century BC. Perhaps the only one which really deserves to be called monotheism -- when one "God" is the absolute (although mysterious) cause of everything.

It only emerged (over against Persian dualism) for a short while -- before the "devil" was invented to take care of the "dark side"; from that moment on, dualism won, but that was the price to pay for having a "good God".

• Terry
    Terry

Deutero-Isaiah (Is 40--55) represents a central moment in the history of religion in the 6th century BC. Perhaps the only one which really deserves to be called monotheism -- when one "God" is the absolute (although mysterious) cause of everything.

It only emerged (over against Persian dualism) for a short while -- before the "devil" was invented to take care of the "dark side"; from that moment on, dualism won, but that was the price to pay for having a "good God".

If only the rank and file Christian could see the history of monotheism as a chain of cause and effect events!

The absorption into a larger, greater, more vividly imagined religious culture had a cataclysmic impact on the narrow, tribal mind of Judaism. The refutation of small ideas is always more detailed representations of larger ideas.

Post Exile Judaism, it is to be remembered, produced the conveniently discovered written account of Jehovah's dealings with Israel that stitched together dissonant remembrances of their story. Layers of Persian/Babylonian theology suffused the mindset that coalesced Judaism into a People of the Book.

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

I checked the Hebrew lexicon to find the root word for evil which is "ra". Other translators have rendered it "misery", "bad", "calamity" or "misery". I find this perfectly understandable as Jehovah is a loving parent who needs to dole out discipline once in a while. Please forget the Watchtower and their reptilian elders, trained by the Freemasons at the top of the pyramid in Brooklyn. Jehovah created free will, of which evil is a product. The Bible's overall message is that Jehovah is a loving and sensitive God, and does not take pleasure in evil. On top of all this Jehovah is promising to do away with evil forever. Why would a God who enjoys evil ever say a thing like that?

Agape

Lou

• found-my-way
    found-my-way
    Isaiah 45:7 (Young's Literal Translation)

Young's Literal Translation (YLT)

7 Forming light, and preparing darkness, Making peace, and preparing evil, I [am] Jehovah, doing all these things.'

Hey look, another translation that uses ''God's name''.

• Terry
    Terry
    Jehovah created free will, of which evil is a product.

A most interesting idea which strikes me as rather curious!

Can one create Free Will? Or, would it only be necessary to PREVENT it?

It seems to me rather awkward to stifle the very thing one has created by punishing the very first evidence of it!

Of what possible use is Free Will to a lesser creature (like man in relation to God) when it can only be the very mechanism of departure from simply following instructions.

After all, Jehovah demands perfection which consists of following His instructions implicitly and explicitly.

Of what actual benefit is this "other" mindset called Free Will to the creature following instructions?

Could you clarify this for me?

I'm not trying to start an argument so much as clarify to what depth your statement plumbs a rational scenario.

Thanks!

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

The way I see it, the lesser creature in this instance is human, and according to God, created in his image. If we lesser creatures can return God's love in giving us the breath of life, it serves as a great reward to our hearts to know that he is taking delight in our decision to obey him out of love, and the realization that his rules are really not that hard to follow, and were all designed to protect us from the very "evil" that some accuse him of creating. It's very hard to appreciate this concept in a world run by Satan, where the vast majority of people seem to have had this God-given trait almost completely bred out of them over the last 6,000 years.

Each of us has the ability to choose between right and wrong, it's what sets us above the animals. So whatever we do, we can choose to make the god of evil happy, or the God of Love happy. I've been down the road of depravity, thanks to the treatment of Watchtower elders who didn't show much shepherding ability, let alone anything even closely resembling love. Anything Satanic looks to eliminate free will, and promote tyranny. Why would that be? The real Jehovah, the one that few can see presently because of Bethel's whitewashed wall, is a God of freedom, because only free creatures can choose to please him or displease him.

• M.J.
    M.J.

Actually, Calvinism teaches that God is sovereign over all, good and bad. I think it makes a good argument. The question is this: Does God willingly or unwillingly allow evil to exist? If the answer is willingly, then God is indeed sovereign (even if such a thought is hard to deal with). If it is unwillingly, however, then it follows that there must be an evil force at least equal to God in power.

• Liza
    Liza

Maybe God has a split personality? Maybe even more than two personalities?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit