Were You Looked Down In The Hall Because Of Age, Gender, Race, $$$, Etc????

by minimus 29 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Were you discriminated against for any reason in the "Christian Congregation"?

• Alligator Wisdom
    Alligator Wisdom

Education and a very good job.

Alligator Wisdom (aka Brother NOT Exerting Vigorously)

• minimus
    minimus

In the Hall I grew up in, anyone that had some means was considered suspect, less than whole-souled. People easily got jealous of my ex when she'd enter the Hall in a new mink or lots of fine jewelry. Being an elder kept some from showing how deeply disgruntled they were to me but we always could feel their pettiness.

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

We were looked down upon by the Elder body because they never felt we were doing the right thing for our children. They held me back from many responsibilities at that time when the children were very young. Later when the boys got older and baptized they still thought we were not a good example because the boys would not full time pioneer and reach out for Bethel service. It took a new c.o. to set them straight concerning my record of service and family efforts to get me appointed. So, the Elders used the family against me for years and at the same time said that we were making progress. My wife always stood up to them. Of course when ever they needed something to be done that they couldn't be bothered with, who did they call on ... yep, yours truley who never learned to say no at that time.

Blueblades ,who would not trade his family for the Elder Body's approval.

• Alligator Wisdom
    Alligator Wisdom
    anyone that had some means was considered suspect, less than whole-souled.

Right!

Even though I went to college and was working at an elite company for many years, I still went to all the meetings, auxillary pioneered at least twice a year (while I doubled the national average each month for the rest of the year), several duties as MS (I declined eldership twice), showed hospitality, gave rides to the meetings/assemblies/conventions to the elderly in the congregation....etc.....

.....and there were many that still found the straw in my eye!

Alligator Wisdom (aka Brother NOT Exerting Vigorously)

• jgnat
    jgnat

...spiritual status, no relatives "in", and female.

• Gerard
    Gerard

My wife's father was criticized for having his own house and one car and was acused of being 'materialistic' but no JW felt shame for coming at him for free medical care.

My wife was almost shunned when she entered medical school and the elders expulsed her at the first chance they had.

• merfi
    merfi

Divorced 120# blonde female, drive a Jeep, fix my own electrical, plumbing etc and work FT in the medical field. They had issues about me, yep.

~merfi

• minimus
    minimus

I never thought the "brothers" really consciously looked down on the "sisters". But I think that their view of scripture taints their view of women. And I do believe that in the first century, women had roles as servants as in MS's in the congregation.

• FourMs
    FourMs

I felt a little discriminated against because of being a “spiritual” single parent. Before my husband had left the org, we had many friends in the witnesses and kept pretty busy with invites out and having people over. Once he left, I felt very left out of our circle of friends. There were so many occasions that I would hear about only after the fact and realize I wasn’t invited to them. Which was weird because we were part of everything.

So I thought that in giving people the benefit of the doubt, I figured it was because it was an uncomfortable situation for others and they weren’t sure what to say to me anymore. BUT, we moved out of the country and when was going to mtgs here, I realized after a short time that it was all the same. Never invited anywhere. People were nice to me at the hall, but it only went so far. I lasted 2 years here.

Don’t you think they would try harder to encourage ones in that situation? I guess they don’t really practice what they preach after all. They won’t be recognized for their love as the only true religion, they have no love!

FourMs

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit