Any of you guys into cooking?

by zagor 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Madame Quixote
    Madame Quixote

Sometimes cooking's a pleasure; sometimes it's just a huge chore.

I really like to dress up the food while keeping it simple. I just hate all the dishwashing and prepping of vegies. I'm on my feet all day and usually I don't want to do one more thing domestic at the end of my day.

But sometimes I'm in the mood to do something nice for myself and do it.

I love to roast red potatoes in olive oil, fresh rosemary, red onions, cracked pepper and sea salt. Adding sweet red peppers to it is great, too.

• zagor
    zagor

Well most of it is done and ready, just popping in to check on this thread.

Any of you single guys out there keep in mind that women cannot resist a guy that can cook. It's like shooting fish in a barrel.

LOL, I didn't know that, maybe if I did I would have been of a better luck, thanks for a tip ;)

Sparky, thank you for the recipe, that sounds awesome. Must try it next time. I guess we should exchange recipes sometimes then ;)
    Yes baby squid are awesome I've got them lightly fried on mix of olive oil, veggie juices and some red wine, then filled them with rolls of dry prosciutto and mix of veggies. Then sprinkled it all with lemon juice and some Parmesan cheese...Just tried one , texture is awesome, you got all those different tastes blending into each other and still individually competing for your attention, kinda like fireworks lol.

hambeak, thank you for the recipe sounds great, I must try that too.

If i don't cook I don't eat.

LOL! :)

Madame Quixote, that sounds very Italian, we have similar tastes

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

zagor...

4 pounds of baby squid

Oh my! Check out this thread! (I'm "one more bento fan" in this flickr group.)

gently feral

• BrentR
    BrentR

I am a big fan of keeping it simple and keeping the mess to a minimum. Along with BBQing I do alot of smoke curing/cold smoking. I work less then five minutes from a fresh seafood distributor that has king salmon. When I get time I make 20-30 lbs of lox in my smoke house. One of my favorite simple dinners is cucumber, tomatoe and lox sandwiches. You can use either black russian rye or pumpernickel bread. Smear the bread with some spreadable cream cheese, sliced cukes, tomatoes and lox. Sprinkle some dill on it and you're in business.

• deeskis
    deeskis

Hi Zagor

I do love cooking, when I'm not rushing in from work and trying to get some food on the table in a hurry. I like marinating baby squid in sweet chilli, lime juice, and fish sauce and doing on the barbie.......yum.

Tandoori lamb cutlets with a big veggie currie..........yum

baked octopus hoods stuffed with rissotto........yum

and I make nice nori rolls and vietnamese rice paper rolls...........yum

don't like the cleaning up so much!, but it's got to be done

Your evening's menu sound....yum! have a great night.

D

• Borgia
    Borgia

To me cooking is somewhat of a weekend ritual. The kitchen is all mine. The fam is not allowed to enter. My realm! saturday morning is always the moment to discuss: what are we going to eat? Do the shopping on the market. Then, a la moment supreme: lock myself into my realm. Glas(es) of wine, some music, depending on my mood, and cooking.

Anyone ever had spanish pork? No I do not mean pork in general, but pork that has been running around in the backyard and fed on acorns......? It makes sure that the pork is low on fat and as heathy as olive oil. Taste: tremendously good, it melts on the tong.....

Getting hungry, yet?

But as for your responses: Let's have a cooking "contest"!

Cheers

Borgia

• Guest with Questions
    Guest with Questions
    Sometimes cooking's a pleasure; sometimes it's just a huge chore

That's how I feel. Right now I'm having lunch so this topic is appropriate.

I love Italian & Greek food (Gr-moussaka,spanakopita, chicken or pork souvlaki. My husband and I sometimes go to a Greek Restaurant after church for lunch and usually I get the chicken souvlaki. I do want to make it at home.

When making Italian I love putting on Andre Bocelli (called Andre) It's contemporary Italian not opera. I do make one really good dish -so my family says. Linguini with chicken and shrimp in pesto sauce. I sautee the red peppers, onions, sometimes garlic and mushrooms, then cook the chicken pieces separately, add cooked snow peas, small carrots, then add the shrimp and add pesto sauce , then top with fresh grated parm cheese.

• sf
  • deeskis
    deeskis

Oops, I just re-read your subject title and realised you might have specifically asked this question to the guys (male gender), not "you guys" meaning all of us!

Hope it went well last night!

• zagor
    zagor

Hi deeskis,
    Yes it was great, I've realized it would have been better if I used white wine instead of red but I'll remember that for the next time.

LOL, of course you can comment :p

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit