I need a good book to read...

by liquidsky 29 Replies latest jw friends

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

Bloodsucking Fiends: A Love Story, by Christopher Moore. In the first chapter: a man who thinks he's Emperor Norton; turkey bowling; and vampires.

gently feral

• fifi40
    fifi40

Anything by

Lee Childs

John Sandford

Greg Ilses

Denis Lehane

• Warlock
    Warlock

Seuss. "The Cat-in-the-Hat" "Green Eggs and Ham" "Go Dog, Go"................................ No?

Warlock

• chappy
    chappy

Dead Men's Secrets by Johnathon Gray. Non-fiction but guaranted to hold your interest.

chappy

• AllAlongTheWatchtower
    AllAlongTheWatchtower

Dunno what genre you may enjoy, you didn't specify anything. I would second the suggestion to read the Earth's Children series; excellent books. I think Valley of the Horses is the next one after Clan of the Cave Bear. Many women I have talked to really loved these books, and were surprised that I had read them and enjoyed them, too. My favorite is sci-fi, so of course I would suggest anything by Asimov, Bradbury, Clarke, Ellison, Heinlein, etc.

And since this board's central theme is religion, I would definitely suggest Frank Herbert's 'Dune' series. It's one of the few books series I know of that does a good job of exploring a religious element in sci-fi. 'Otherworld' by Tad Williams is also quite good; a series of 4 books about a future world where almost everybody plugs into the internet with virtual reality equipment. 'Riverworld' by Phillip Jose Farmer is another interesting sci-fi series with a semi-religious theme. In it, every historical person who has ever lived on earth suddenly awakens to a mass resurrection on a planet that is one long continuously winding river valley (thus the name). Everybody is in perfect health, and about 25 years of age, unless they died at a younger age than that before their resurrection. Everybody then has to deal with "why am I here?", "how did we all get here?", and "who did this?".

When I was growing up, I also enjoyed lots of stuff with a nature/animal theme to it, so anything by Jack London or tales of that type were enjoyable to me, such as 'White Fang', 'Call of the Wild', etc. Others I liked were 'Robinson Crusoe' (author?) and 'Swiss Family Robinson' (author?). Since I've also always loved fantasy themed stuff, of course Tolkien is a given.

• Clam
    Clam

Jodi Picoult - My Sisters Keeper - / / / If you haven't seen the films - Memoirs of a Geisha and Cider House Rules.

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

Dean Koontz

Dark Rivers of the Heart.

Excellent book.

• Scully
    Scully

The Birth House by Ami McKay
    Bloodletting and Other Miraculous Cures by Vincent Lam
    The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls (a memoir, but a very moving story nonetheless)
    The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini was already mentioned, but I thought I'd give it a thumbs up as well.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Thanks to JGnat's recommendations I've just read the Tipping Point and Blink. They are fascinating books that have changed how I act quite dramatically. I recommend them to everyone I can.

• Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    Good Girl or Bad Girl?

Seuss. "The Cat-in-the-Hat" "Green Eggs and Ham" "Go Dog, Go"................................ No?

Warlock

FOX IN SOCKS IS MY FAVE!! You MUST read it aloud though, and don't mess up!! (It's a tongue twister book by the LATE GREAT Dr. Seuss.)

But in seriousness, I came back to recommend, LiquidSky, if you have not read this book, give it a try, it's one of my absolute favorites of all time. It's a zine, not fiction, a travelogue of sorts, but one of the most inspiring beautiful books I've ever had the privilege of coming across. It's written by two young girls full of hopes and dreams. Everything that happens to them is not wonderful, and even though they struggle with their journey at times, they ultimately don't lose sight of what they are trying to accomplish. It's Off the Map by Hib and Kikahttp://www.amazon.com/Off-Map-Hib/dp/0970910134. (I love threads about books!!!!)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit