I need a good book to read...

by liquidsky 29 Replies latest jw friends

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I just got done reading And the Sea Will Tell by Vincent Bugliosi same author that wrote Helter Skelter.

edited to add........sorry its not fiction, but could have been.

• Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    Good Girl or Bad Girl?

Slow connection + trying to post on JWD = IMMENSE FRUSTRATION. It keeps timing me out and then I lose a post.

So I have been trying to tell you to read Chocolat if you haven't already - it's by Joanne Harris and it's not a new book. It's just one I dug out of storage recently and remembered it fondly. It's one I would read again, and actually intend to since I remembered it had just enough magic in it to make me slightly uncomfortable as a JW and now that I am a free-thinker I look forward to rereading it. If you love beautiful language, chocolate, and love, you wil enjoy this book.

Here's a description from Joanne Harris' website (http://www.joanne-harris.co.uk/pages/bookpages/chocolat.html):

Chocolat begins with the arrival in a tiny French village of Vianne Rocher, a single mother with a young daughter, on Shrove Tuesday. As the inhabitants of Lansquenet-sous-Tannes clear away the remains of the carnival which heralds the beginning of Lent, Vianne moves with her daughter into a disused bakery facing the church, where Francis Reynaud, the young and opinionated curé of the parish, watches her arrival with disapproval and suspicion.

When he realizes that Vianne intends to open a chocolate shop in place of the old bakery, thereby tempting the churchgoers to over-indulgence, Reynaud's disapproval increases. As it becomes clear that the villagers of Lansquenet are falling under the spell of Vianne's easy ways and unorthodox opinions, to the detriment of his own authority, he is quick to see her as a danger. Under Vianne's influence an old woman embraces a new life, a battered wife finds the courage to leave her husband, children rebel against authority, outcasts and strays are welcomed... and Reynaud's tight and carefully ordered community is in danger of breaking apart. As Easter approaches, both parties throw themselves whole-heartedly into the preparations; Vianne for the chocolate festival she plans to hold on Easter Sunday, Reynaud into a desperate attempt to win back his straying flock. Both factions have a great deal at stake; the village is bitterly divided; and as the big day looms closer their struggle becomes much more than a conflict between church and chocolate - it becomes an exorcism of the past, a declaration of independence, a showdown between dogma and understanding, pleasure and self-denial.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I have been wanting to read The Kite Runner

dont know the author but you can google it if interested......It has come highly recommended by alot of the docs i work for

• SusanHere
    SusanHere

Good fiction ...

The Divide by Nicholas .... somebody.

Sorry, book is not immediately at hand. It is a new release, and is awesome. Not by Nicholas Sparks, but some other Nicholas.

It's the story of a well-to-do American family, on the surface the ideal family, two children, prosperous, successful. Then it all changes, and their lives shatter.

It's a real page turner and the author has a true gift for dialogue and for giving each character his/her own voice.

Enjoy!

Susan

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I recently found the mystery series by James Doss, they are very good. He is compared to Tony Hillerman, because he writes similar stories, but James Doss is funnier and takes himself less seriously than Tony Hillerman. I read all the ones I could find, so am hoping he writes a new one.

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb

The Tortilla Curtain by TC Boyle

A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole

100 Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez

A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb

I think I read this book........on the oprah list?

man i cant remember.........was the girl in the story overweight?

purps

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

Enjoy,

BA

• Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    Good Girl or Bad Girl?

Yes, She's Come Undone is a great book. Yes, the main character is overweight, Purps. Yes on the Oprah list. Also good by Wally Lamb is I Know This Much is True. It's about fraternal twins. It is disturbing yet beautiful, much like She's Come Undone.

• liquidsky
    liquidsky

Wow! Thanks for all the great suggestions! I'll make a list and head to the bookstore tomarrow.

Purplesofa, The Kite Runner was one of the best books I ever read.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit