The JW lady came back/Who really is our Mediator?

by Guest with Questions 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Guest with Questions
    Guest with Questions

Continuation of my first post: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/132283/1.ashx

This past Tuesday the JW lady came back, which surprised me. She came with her husband and I told them that it wasn’t really fair (one against two). I did feel that they twisted certain scripture to suit their needs plus the gentlemen kept going in a different direction unrelated to the topic we were discussing and I had to remind him a couple of times to go back to the original topic.

I hope that someone can answer me; what the JW’s really believe.

These were the questions I wanted to cover.

Who is the Alpha & Omega, the First & Last and Beg & End. I was dumbstruck with some of his answers.

Who is your Mediator which we never really covered. She said she answered me last time.

and the Locusts of Revelation which we never got to.

For this post I will start with Mediator

One lady three weeks ago said that Jesus is our Mediator. When I asked her again she said it was the Org. Asked another gentlemen and his wife last week: they said Jesus. Asked first lady again this week: she said Jesus. When I read them this article they were quiet and didn’t answer.

(Worldwide Security under the "Prince of Peace" (1986) p.10 - "Likewise, the Greater Moses, Jesus Christ, is not the Mediator between Jehovah God and all mankind. He is the Mediator between his heavenly Father, Jehovah God, and the nation of spiritual Israel, which is limited to only 144,000 members.")

I also found this and will give it to the one gentlemen.

Watchtower 1979 April 1 p.31 "Is Jesus the "mediator" only for anointed Christians?…… So in this strict Biblical sense Jesus is the "mediator" only for anointed Christians.……The "great crowd" of "other sheep" that is forming today is not in that new covenant. However, by their associating with the "little flock" of those yet in that covenant they come under benefits that flow from that new covenant."
    Watchtower 1979 November 15 p.27 Benefiting from "One Mediator Between God and Men""They recognize that they are not spiritual Israelites in the new covenant mediated by Jesus Christ, nor part of the "chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation."——1 Pet. 2:9. 24 Yet they do benefit from the operation of the new covenant. They benefit from this just as, in ancient Israel, the "alien resident" benefited from residing in among the Israelites who were in the Law covenant.—Ex. 20:10; Lev. 19:10, 33, 34; Rev. 7:9-15. 25 To keep in relationship with "our Savior, God," the "great crowd" needs to remain united with the remnant of spiritual Israelites."

Watchtower 1989 August 15 pp.30-31 Questions From Readers "Is Jesus the Mediator only for spirit-anointed Christians or for all mankind, since 1 Timothy 2:5, 6 speaks of him as the "mediator" who "gave himself a corresponding ransom for all"? The Bible contains both basic teachings and deep truths, which are solid food for study ……To grasp what Paul is saying, we must first appreciate that the Bible sets out two destinies for faithful humans: (1) perfect life on a restored earthly paradise and (2) life in heaven for Christ’s "little flock," numbering 144,000. Clearly, then, the new covenant is not a loose arrangement open to all mankind. It is a carefully arranged legal provision involving God and anointed Christians.This should help us to understand 1 Timothy 2:5, 6. Here the reference to "mediator" was made after the five other occurrences of the word in letters written earlier. Hence, Timothy would have understood Jesus’ mediatorship to be His legal role connected with the new covenant. ……Consequently, 1 Timothy 2:5, 6 is not using "mediator" in the broad sense common in many languages. It is not saying that Jesus is a mediator between God and all mankind. …… The apostle John referred to these at 1 John 2:2. But he indicated that others too will receive the benefit of Christ’s sacrifice: "He is a propitiatory sacrifice for our sins, yet not for ours only but also for the whole world’s."Those of ‘the whole world’ are all who will gain eternal life in a restored earthly paradise. Millions of such approved servants of God now have that earthly hope. ……"

So what do Jehovah Witnesses really believe? Is the above old light?

• heathen
    heathen

So what do Jehovah Witnesses really believe? Is the above old light?

With the FDS dogma they believe the WTBTS is in charge of the church and has authority to make judicial decisions in the stead of christ thereby taking part in the mediatorship of christ . So far I don't recall seeing articles in which they state specifically they alone are mediating for the great crowd. They do stress the importance of obedience to them as if your life depended on it . Their constant "tacking with the wind" and being able to accept whatever teachings they come up is tantamount to "following the christ". IMO

where's blondie when you need her? should see some interesting replies here.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu
    the gentlemen kept going in a different direction unrelated to the topic we were discussing and I had to remind him a couple of times to go back to the original topic.

LOL! That's pretty typical for a JW. I tried having a discussion with a JW about the whole 1914 Generation teaching and he kept going off onto other crap that had nothing to do with the questions I wanted answered. It's a good thing JWs don't write their own books or they'd end up like the recent episodes of The Simpsons - an evolving story that doesn't really go anywhere.

Sorry, I can't really answer your questions. I've been out so long that I've forgotten most of that mediator rubbish. Paging Blondie... Heck, page Farkel until then, I'd love to see his answer!

• Guest with Questions
    Guest with Questions

Hi Heathen; thanks for responding. In my other post Blondie did respond and gave some good answers. I notice in this post I'm duplicating some of my findings; it's because I'm tired so I hope people will bear with me. I probably need to take some time away from this. My head is just swimming with information and I keep needing to write things down in case I forget something. (what I won't do for my mother!!)

My understanding is: the Org states that Jesus is not Mediator for the Great Crowd, but is Mediator for 144,000 but because of the Great Crowd's association with the 144,000 they benefit from that indirectly. Is that right? If that is the case, then why aren't they up front about it. It just confuses people. (but I guess that is the point) My feeling is that they really don't want the "outsiders" to know where they stand until they got you. I also get the feeling that most people that are visited by JW's don't know much (or anything) about the bible to respond to them so it seems to make sense.

• garybuss
    garybuss

The Witnesses I know teach that Jesus is the mediator, but they believe the organization is the mediator. They believe the elders are appointed by the holy spirit and that what the elders say and do represents the will of God.

They see the organization as the antitype of Noah's boat and that if they are not in good standing with the elders, they are not in the ark and God will murder them at Armageddon.

They beleive the seven trumpets of Revelation were the seven Bible Student conventions from 1922 to 1928, starting with Cedar Point, Ohio and ending with Detroit, Michigan.

• Guest with Questions
    Guest with Questions
    They beleive the seven trumpets of Revelation were the seven Bible Student conventions from 1922 to 1928, starting with Cedar Point, Ohio and ending with Detroit, Michigan.

Hi garybuss,

How does a rational person believe that something as irrevelant as a convention is prophesied in the Bible. Also, I looked up the Bible Students a while back and they state that they are not in any way connected to the Jehovah Witness Org; that they split up when Rutherford took over. My understanding is that Russell was not the founder of the JW Org but the Bible Students and that Rutherford is the founder of the JW organization.

• White Dove
    White Dove

The way I learned it was:

Jehovah is the alpha and omega and all of that beginning and ending stuff.

Jesus is not the mediator for the great crowd but their high priest who is able to make atonement for their sins.

The scorpions are the JW's who preach a stinging message to those that don't want to hear it. The message is supposed to be taken like the sting of a scorpion, something no one wants. A painful message.

• White Dove
    White Dove

Guest,

That is fascinating! It makes sense because there was a great shake up that split the org or whatever it was called back then in 1/2.

• White Dove
    White Dove

Another thing: the difference between mediator and high priest in this case is that I think Jesus being the mediator carries with it the invitation to heaven that no one but a fraction of a % get. He attones for all sins but only invites a small number whereas the high priest can only attone for sins, period. High priest can't invite anyone to heaven. Weird how they conjured that up, isn't it?

• garybuss
    garybuss

Howdy! You wrote: How does a rational person believe that something as irrevelant as a convention is prophesied in the Bible. A rational person does not.

Also, I looked up the Bible Students a while back and they state that they are not in any way connected to the Jehovah Witness Org; that they split up when Rutherford took over. Some, like Paul Johnson did leave very soon after Russell's death.

My understanding is that Russell was not the founder of the JW Org but the Bible Students and that Rutherford is the founder of the JW organization.It's a bit like trying to say Henry Ford didn't found the present Ford Motor Company.

Macmillan worked for Russell and stayed with Rutherford after Russell died. Here is a text of his book.
    http://reactor-core.org/faith-on-the-march.html

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit