grammer and spelling

by Hortensia 56 Replies latest jw friends

• parakeet
    parakeet

On an informal discussion group like this one, perfect grammar and spelling are not necessary, and pointing out others' mistakes will only cause hurt feelings. As long as the post makes sense, let's not fuss over minor issues. We have enough major issues to discuss.

BTW, I used to teach English grammar to college freshmen and foreign graduate students. I always told them that attention to grammar, spelling, pronunciation, etc., is important in formal settings -- speeches, academic papers, and journal articles. If writing a letter to your mom or posting on the Internet, don't worry about it.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

hortense

I like you more and more the more posts i read of yours

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Thanks!

• horrible life
    horrible life

I like you too!!!!! You can take a joke, and laugh at yourself. This thread just goes to prove all of us make mistakes. Just as soon as you point out another persons mistake, someone else will point out one of yours. And at the end of the day, What does it matter????

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Thanks! I like a good joke, even if I'm the joke. In fact, here's a funny story - I laugh every time I think about it. I was living alone in an old neighborhood in San Diego. I woke up to find someone trying to climb in my bedroom window. I called the police - they asked the problem and my name and address and then asked if I had a gun. I said, "oh no, do I have to shoot him myself?"

After the dispatcher picked herself off the floor she explained to me that they just wanted to be sure I wasn't going to shoot the police officer by mistake.

• riverofdeceit
    riverofdeceit

Always reminds me of the dude counselling people on their talks when they would be working on "Pronounciation". Yeah, that is how he would pronounce it, the dumbass. I'm not a grammar master, and I treat what I write in message boards like my informal speech. If someone is trying to come off as a know-it-all, but can't differentiate between what there doing over their and were doing over hear, then they deserve what they get. That is especially so if I disagree with the point they are trying to make. It's not very fair, I know. It's also good to keep in mind that not everyone has English as a first language. Occasionally, my fingers on one hand will type faster than the figners on the other. (Yeah, I actually did it while typing that sentence. I'm proficient with the backspace key and do it without really thinking about it, and in this case I actually had to retype it the way I originally typed it just to show what I was talking about.) Crap, is that a run-on sentence? What a dangerous post this is. Alright editors, help me out here. What did I screw up?

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Oh wow if I was to correct every spelling mistake on the board I'd never sleep.

I will admit I did correct one error I saw yesterday - the name of the person that was referred to. While I don't usually do that I thought it was important for the purpose of the thread

As for me - I never make spelling mistakes - but I make a lot of typing errors

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit