Jesus never used the name Jehovah???

by Mrs Smith 57 Replies latest watchtower bible

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Now where in the whole wide world did you hear THAT? Germans have a sound for J, don't try to even think anything else! You perhaps are mixing the Germans up with the Spanish? The Spanish J is pronounced much like the German "ch"-sound as in "achtung". In Spanish, the NAME is pronounced ch-e-o-ba.

That is not true about Spanish. No idea were you got that "ch" from. Jehovah in Spanish is pronounced heov(b)ah or Yehov(b)ah depending the dialect.

Frank75

I already went there Frank75, and got smahed into little pieces! Actually it wasn't that bad. It would appear that you and I are familiar with Spanish as it is spoken in the Americas, where in fact the vast majority of Spanish-speakers are to be found. However Narkissos and TheOldHippie inform us that things are different back on the Iberian peninsula. I learn something new nearly everytime I read on JWD. Good lookin' out Frank75 and peace!

The Spanish J is pronounced much like the German "ch"-sound as in "achtung". In Spanish, the NAME is pronounced ch-e-o-ba.

Sorry man. I hate to correct an OldHippie, but I must.

The spanish "j"(jota) is pronounced like the english "h". The NAME is pronounced hay-o-bva in spanish.

You may perhaps have gotten confused with portuguese?

Nvr

Nvr

• Sasha
    Sasha

Well, I never called my father Bill. I called him father.

• metatron
    metatron

What a load of crap! The Jews in Jesus' day commonly used substitutes for the Tetragrammaton.

Show us one scripture in which Jesus gets blasted by his enemies for using 'Yahweh' aloud!

More than that, we already know that everytime Jesus used "Father", that was yet another

incident in which he chose NOT to use 'Yahweh'. His remarks while dying are especially

strong evidence that he simply didn't use anything except "Father" or "God".

metatron

• ANewLeif
    ANewLeif

For instance, when Jesus taught his disciples how to pray it would have been a perfect opportunity to use the name, if his disciples were meant to do so. But he didn't. (Matthew 6:9) He used the substitute "Father" and then asked that the Father's name be sanctified. But he didn't use the name.

I think that is the best evidence on this subject I could ever ask for. He didn't even use the name when teaching them how to pray. But JWs will use the Anglican name "Jehovah" 40 times in a 2 minute prayer.

ANL

• *lost*
    *lost*

bumped

• *lost*
    *lost*

julia

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

marked

• mP
    mP

Its easy to under why the NT never had Jehovah. The OT was obviously written for the jews. The NT was written for a gentile audience. Different peoples and cultures gave their gods slightly different names. The Romans called their cheif sky daddy, Jupiter (which means literally sky pater = piter = father ) which was the same as Zeus. We can see paul introduces greek ideas into text. He tries to remove the jewishness of God by killing off the need for circumcision. The NT is trying to present that all gods are the same, tehre is no difference between the jewish god and somebody elses big god. If the authors used Jehovah they would instantly offend the majority of their readers, who would ask why are we worshipping the god of those loser jews. This was of course the idea behind the Roman Catholic aka Unversal aka Church. Make all gods look the same under the control of Rome.

When Christianity went to egypt, isis was of course the same as Mary, she just had a different local name. Jesus was no different from Dionysus and thats why the gospels are filled with stories that complement the magic powers of the greek god. Many of the stories simply show that jesus was a better improved God when compared to past greats. Thats why he is always besting some previous god in his miracles. The loaves and fishes story includes the figures to show Jesus gave food to more people than Elijah with less. Other ancient gods also died and were resurrected for three days, and so jesus too must do the same. Jonah may very well have been a pagan god of some form. His name means dove, which was a bird often associated with what we would call holy spirit. Different cultures had slightly different birds but the idea behind them is relatively common. Horus had a falcon, Jesus has a dove.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit