Jesus never used the name Jehovah???

by Mrs Smith 57 Replies latest watchtower bible

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    I remember once reading in some publication that the Jews accused Jesus of performing his miracles by using the name of God.

Pahpa, I believe something along these lines has been found in the writings of Josephus. A more scholarly

member of the board may be able to substantiate this.

Nvr

• Manjana
    Manjana

Hi every one

I think you make some very good points here to the question about using Jehovahs name. But one thing keeps running around in my head.

I dont remeber where it is standing in the bible, but JW is saying it all the time, that a group of people on earth, should be callen by his name.

Have you any explanation on this, when you compare it to all the other arguments you have been writing about under: Jesus never used the name Jehovah?

Manjana

• Zico
    Zico

Manjana, The 'Jehovah' thing is just one of the thought stopping techniques Jehovah's Witnesses use when doubting. Example: 'Well, it must be the Truth because we're the only religion who uses God's name' There's no scripture that says it has to be used in order to gain salvation.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Interesting question, Mananja. On your suggestion, I'm just starting to study it. First of all, I did a www.blueletterbible.org search for the phrase, "called by my name". Right off, I see many references to Jerusalem, a city "called by my name". Obviously, Jerusalem is not called "Jehovahdom", so I am guessing this is a turn of phrase. Also, several times God says he will go to a people who are NOT called by his name (to gather them in, I expect). So I am thinking the phrase more correctly refers to people or places who have made a covenant with God. I am going to google the phrase next, so see if there are any scholarly discussions on it.

KJV English Concordance for "called by my name"

The words called by my name occur in 14 verses, including 11 exact phrase matches shown first:

2Ch 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Isa 43:7 [Even] every one that is called by my name: for I have created him for my glory, I have formed him; yea, I have made him.

Isa 65:1 I am sought of [them that] asked not [for me]; I am found of [them that] sought me not: I said, Behold me, behold me, unto a nation [that] was not called by my name.

Jer 7:10 And come and stand before me in this house, which is called by my name, and say, We are delivered to do all these abominations?

Jer 7:11 Is this house, which is called by my name, become a den of robbers in your eyes? Behold, even I have seen [it], saith the LORD.

Jer 7:14 Therefore will I do unto [this] house, which is called by my name, wherein ye trust, and unto the place which I gave to you and to your fathers, as I have done to Shiloh.

Jer 7:30 For the children of Judah have done evil in my sight, saith the LORD: they have set their abominations in the house which is called by my name, to pollute it.

Jer 25:29 For, lo, I begin to bring evil on the city which is called by my name, and should ye be utterly unpunished? Ye shall not be unpunished: for I will call for a sword upon all the inhabitants of the earth, saith the LORD of hosts.

Jer 32:34 But they set their abominations in the house, which is called by my name, to defile it.

Jer 34:15 And ye were now turned, and had done right in my sight, in proclaiming liberty every man to his neighbour; and ye had made a covenant before me in the house which is called by my name:

Amo 9:12 That they may possess the remnant of Edom, and of all the heathen, which are called by my name, saith the LORD that doeth this.

Dan 9:18 O my God, incline thine ear, and hear; open thine eyes, and behold our desolations, and the city which is called by thy name: for we do not present our supplications before thee for our righteousnesses, but for thy great mercies.

Dan 9:19 O Lord, hear; O Lord, forgive; O Lord, hearken and do; defer not, for thine own sake, O my God: for thy city and thy people are called by thy name.

Cite This Page:

Blue Letter Bible. "Dictionary and Word Search for 'called by my name' " . Blue Letter Bible. 1996-2002. 13 Apr 2007.

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

I wrote the article MAD, and it is my view. if you don't like it don't read it bud.

Randy

• jgnat
    jgnat

Thank you, OldHippie. I will have to change my rant on the usage of the poor "J". I'll blame the Spanish.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

Is it possible to drink water wihout getting your lips wet? Perhaps if you bend over backwards in the dessert.That is why Jesus must have used the divine name because he quoted from OT passages that contained YHWH. It does not make any sense that Jesus would have avoided using the name. Also, Jesus never instructed his followers to substitute Lord or another word when quoting from the OT or reading from passages containing yhwh. Howver it also makes sense that since Jesus did not speak English, that he did not use th name Jehovah but he did use the name YHWH.

• Frank75
    Frank75

Now where in the whole wide world did you hear THAT? Germans have a sound for J, don't try to even think anything else! You perhaps are mixing the Germans up with the Spanish? The Spanish J is pronounced much like the German "ch"-sound as in "achtung". In Spanish, the NAME is pronounced ch-e-o-ba.

That is not true about Spanish. No idea were you got that "ch" from. Jehovah in Spanish is pronounced heov(b)ah or Yehov(b)ah depending the dialect.

Frank75

• Manjana
    Manjana

Hi jgnat.

Thank you so much for your help and the link. Now I will surch much more in it. I dont have a bible, but I have a link to one, at the internet. It's quite interresting, to see how the JW, have turned this understanding up side down.

Manjana

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

Do that, jgnat - there is so much for which to blame the Spanish, so they won't notice one more thing .............

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit