christianity

by BR25 41 Replies latest jw experiences

• BR25
    BR25

I have been to a few christian churches, but not many. I just had a few questions. My buddies are from springfield ( the christian belt city) and as I already noted in another post we have discussed religion for. I have talked to other people before that are christians too.

My question is what goes on in these bigger churches. My one buddy told me one day he prayed to be saved and all of a sudden one day he woke up and felt an incredible feeling went through him and his whole life changed, and he already knows he is going to heaven. My other buddy who I just met Mr know it all christian said the same thing and he said I am sitting here drinking this before and if the world came to an end right now I know I would go to heaven.

What kinda of feeling do you get cause I hear this from so many other christians. Is it like orgasmic or something?

Also in these big churches do they jump around and scream and hollar like they show on tv. I am amused sometimes when I flip through these channels and the radio. They start going all spastic saying. OH JESUS, OH LORD MY LORD, COME UP HERE YOUNG MAN LET ME LET THE DEMONS OUT OF YOU. Is this how it really is?

These questions are for the christians mainly, but athiests if you wanna jump in on it I got a question for you, being as most people on here are not jw backers, dont these things seem just as wierd and if not more than what everybody says about jws.

• Zico
    Zico

I posted a topic about spiritual experiences a few weeks back, and I had to agree with posters when they pointed out to me that it would be easier to define art, beauty or love than the spiritual experience, but I can say that experience was the greatest moment of my life.

Also in these big churches do they jump around and scream and hollar like they show on tv. I am amused sometimes when I flip through these channels and the radio. They start going all spastic saying. OH JESUS, OH LORD MY LORD, COME UP HERE YOUNG MAN LET ME LET THE DEMONS OUT OF YOU. Is this how it really is?

Not all of them, no. That would freak me out as well.

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw
    being as most people on here are not jw backers, dont these things seem just as wierd and if not more than what everybody says about jws

Not more weird just a different kinda weird. You have to admit that JW's are pretty darn weird, you know with their own language, culture!

nj

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

The way I see it, if churches want to shout, jump and down, or whatever I have no problem with it, but when a cult meddles in someones life to the point they cant get a decent education or a career, then I have much more trouble with that than loud churches.

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

I have been to a few christian churches, but not many. I just had a few questions. My buddies are from springfield ( the christian belt city) and as I already noted in another post we have discussed religion for. I have talked to other people before that are christians too.

My question is what goes on in these bigger churches. My one buddy told me one day he prayed to be saved and all of a sudden one day he woke up and felt an incredible feeling went through him and his whole life changed, and he already knows he is going to heaven. My other buddy who I just met Mr know it all christian said the same thing and he said I am sitting here drinking this before and if the world came to an end right now I know I would go to heaven.

What kinda of feeling do you get cause I hear this from so many other christians. Is it like orgasmic or something?

These questions are for the christians mainly, but athiests if you wanna jump in on it I got a question for you, being as most people on here are not jw backers, dont these things seem just as wierd and if not more than what everybody says about jws.

Oy vey! OK, here goes. First, the salvation experience depends from person to person. There is no "correct" way to experience salvation. Sometimes people have a "feeling" sometimes they don't. Sometimes people cry, sometimes they don't. It just depends.

As far as "Mr. Know-It-All-Christian" This is a problem with a number of churches. One of the worst things that the church ever did to this country was get Prohibition passed. Most Christians think that drinking is wrong because of the over indulgence, or their own past. So Christians get legalistic when it comes to drinking. I don't think that drinking will keep you from heaven, but drunkenness will (since that is what the Bible condemns).

Don't view what you see on TBN (Total Blasphemy Network) or any other local religious programming as an indicator of the average Christian church. I would suggest that you look aound at different churches, from mainline denominations to independents and non-denominational churches. Ask for their Statement of Faith, and if they don't have one, RUN! Then compare what they believe to the Bible, and lastly see which one you are most comfortable in. Simple or not, as that.

• BR25
    BR25

Well you have a choice when it comes college time anyway. I think it benifited me in regular school. I always done well in the public speaking contests, and won the spelling bee in jr. high. I credit alot of this to how I grew up. Whether you are a jw backer or not. I dont think you can say that you are dumber on the "academic level" because of it.

• BR25
    BR25

usc fan.

Dont agree with many people on here, but your post made some sense to me. I just always wondered these things cause I have talked to christians from all different areas and they all basically say the same things about how they already know they are going to heaven and so forth.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

yes you do have a choice, however when you are lied to and told that armageddon is so near and not to go to college, it kinda takes away the ambition, makes it seem pointless. Whether a church is loud, charismatic, shout and hollar, it isnt important as long as the doctrines dont negatively impact the individual.

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

usc fan.

Dont agree with many people on here, but your post made some sense to me. I just always wondered these things cause I have talked to christians from all different areas and they all basically say the same things about how they already know they are going to heaven and so forth.

Having assurance is simple, it's defined in 1 John. Anyway I'm glad I could clear this up for you somewhat. Don't hesitate to ask. That is the only we learn.

• Terry
    Terry

It is a pity that none of the spiritual awakenings ever imparts a useful by-product such as increased I.Q., musical genius, sudden capactity to translate heiroglyphics or even skill in cooking souffle.

All we get are goose bumps, a feeling of well-being and a lifetime of repeating the same amorphous tingly story.

Sigh.

Doesn't a stiff martini or smoking Maui-wowee have about the same redeeming social value?

Really now.

Is there nothing at all palpably substantial to be had in a Christian experience that demonstrates anything of actual importance other than attitude adjustment?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit