My vacation in Ohio and Kentucky

by Junction-Guy 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Well I came back to Tennessee on monday night. I had a really good time up there.

I will recap some of the highlights of my trip.

I arrived in Dayton on Saturday. On Sunday I went to church with my brother and mom at the Nazarene Church. While in sunday school there, a woman asked for prayer for her son who was living with his dad. She said the dad has just recently come in contact with JW's and says he will start taking the kid to the kingdom hall. She asked for everyone to pray that her son not go to the Kingdom Hall, Darin,Mom and I happily obliged her. After the service we approached her and told her that we are XJW's and if she ever needs any assistance to give us a call.

Tuesday we went to Columbus for the day and went to the Easton town center, which is a very cool outdoor shopping complex. It is like "The Greene" in Beavercreek Ohio, only much bigger.

Thursday I went with Darin to his Toastmasters club, they had several speakers there, and many topics were discussed. I am so proud of Darin, he has a bright future ahead of him, I wish I was in a position to reveal his plans, but I cant right now, but there are big things on the horizon for him, and Im included in those plans also.

Friday we went to Kentucky, and took the scenic route, saw a covered bridge, and visited some graveyards where my relatives are buried. We came down the West Virginia side and then crossed into Kentucky. We were coming across a mountain in Kentucky when all of a sudden it started snowing really hard. The weather was really cold and disappointing, but we had a good time no less.

Saturday we took Darby (my niece) to the FreeWill Baptist Church for the easter egg hunt, which was done inside due to the cold weather. They had pizza and all kinds of homemade candy there. I ate like crazy.

Sunday we attended easter service at the FreeWill Baptist Church with all of my cousins, and Darby was included in the childrens easter presentation there, she was excited because she got to participate with the other children in the church. I took a picture of her, Darin says he wants to send that pic to our JW grandma.

The service was long and good, alot of people testified, including myself. 2 preachers ended up preaching, and there was lots of singing.

After church we went back to my cousins house and had Easter Dinner, there were alot of people at her house, and lots of food. I ate almost 3 plates.

sunday evening we headed back to Dayton, and then monday morning I left out for Tennessee. On the way down to Tennessee I stopped off at an obscure civil war battlefield in Ky, called "camp wildcat"

Well thats all for now. I had a really good time, and enjoyed visiting with my family. Oh one more thing, my quasi-JW uncle came to Easter dinner, he did act a little odd, I think it bothered him that we went to church with his family instead of going to the Kingdom Hall.

Now Im back home, and planning for my next trip to Ohio, hopefully I will get to see Lisavegas on the next trip.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Sounds like you had a pleasant time! Thanks for sharing and welcome home!

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Thanks Crumpet, It was also a little trip down memory lane in Kentucky, as I went by the trailer where Amanda and her parents lived back in 1994 before we married. Also I had'nt been to the cemetary where my Granny is buried since 1999, that was the year my JW uncle committed suicide and was buried next to Granny. Darin and I both started crying, not only about Granny, but my uncle who so senselessly took his own life. Darby didnt understand why we were crying, we were trying so hard not to tear up.

This trip jogged alot of memories for me, but I still had a good time no matter what.

• junctions-wife
    junctions-wife

Dave while you were gone, Jeremy and Amy had their baby boy they name Jacob Thomas Matthew he weighed 9 pounds and 2 ounces and was 21 inches lone. Mom left for KY on Sunday and will be back on Thursday. Anything change in Martin County I can't believe the trailor is still there. I haven't been there since Mom and Dad moved to Van Lear.

BTW Jeremy is my baby brother and Amy is his wife. and this is their 3rd child. For those who didn't know.

amanda

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420
    Now Im back home, and planning for my next trip to Ohio, hopefully I will get to see Lisavegas on the next trip.

Oh goody..I get an honorable mention...but not phone call...

See ya next time...

lisa

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Lisa--Im sorry, it was a hectic week, not to mention I spent 2 days with my JW grandma, and belive it or not I didnt even surf the internet the whole week. I will do my best to see you the next trip to Ohio. I have lots to talk about then.

Amanda--Yes the trailer has changed, it looks like they added a homemade addition to it, they made it into a double wide. The area still looked the same, except many of the houses are now on stilts to avoid floodwaters. Also we drove by Wolf Creek Colleries, and there is nothing there anymore, they tore down the tipple. When we drove through Inez I didnt see the KFC anymore, perhaps they tore it down, or I just missed it. Also they now have a movie theater there now.

Tell Amy and Jeremy I said "congratulations" when you speak to them.

• junctions-wife
    junctions-wife

well it is about time they have a movie theatre. I don't miss Martin County. I can't believe they have ruined that trailor. was all the flower beds still there? Mom said the house in Van Lear looked horrible.

talk at ya later

amanda

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I dont remember the trailer having flowerbeds, but they were probably in front,right? Well this new addition was added on to the front, so the flower beds went. I did see the house in Van Lear as we were passing through, I didnt notice any difference, but I didnt look too hard.

Also they blacktopped Butcher holler road, however the main road leading to it is still gravel. Malcolm says just about every county road now has been blacktopped.

Also they removed the railroad track from Breathitt county to Hager hill, the only remaining section is from the Hager hill post office to West Van Lear, they are trying to turn it into a walking/biking path.

I saw the new sonic, its right next to Bob Evans, the wrong location I would think.

I also found out that JFG Coffee can be bought at the food city there, we bought some extra for Mom and Grandma.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

By the way, that was the single railroad track that ran past the kingdom hall, not the main tracks in West Van Lear, they are still as busy as ever.

• greendawn
    greendawn

You seem to have enjoyed some great time blending the spiritual, the emotional, and the leisure elements during your trip, you know how to make th emost of travelling. Let's hope they will catch that guy before he gets hopelessly entangled in the tentacles of the cult.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit