Words Jehovers Witnesses Pronounce wrong...

by vomit 62 Replies latest jw friends

• AllAlongTheWatchtower
    AllAlongTheWatchtower

When I was a kid growing up in the WWCG, people were always talking about how various world news events pointed to it being "the end times". So there were always little difficulties like how to pronounce Iraq (eye-rock vs eye-rack...I was like 9-10 when I first heard it, and in my sportscars = cool phase, so I just naturally fell into saying eye-rock, like the Iroc Z I drooled over so much back then, lol). Or Grenada (gren-ah-da vs gren-ay-da...I always figured it was gren-ah-da since it was Hispanic in origin, but heck, even the newscasters at the time seemed to split 50-50 on it).

One of my pet peeves has always been people who say 'idear'. As in, "though the scripture says man can not know the day or the hour of his return, we can form a good idear from...". Oh yeah, and library...makes me grit my teeth when somebody says lie-berry, sounds like something that would be in a fairy tale that the unsuspecting victim eats and then tells a bunch of lies and gets in trouble, sorta like Snow White and the poisoned apple. Another good one...is your favorite brand of mints Tic-Tacs...or Gover-mints? *lol*

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

There are many speakers use syllables while pronoucing a word or some speak phonitically.

Am I the only one who recalls how the society became sticklers about words? I am beginning to feel very old here.

orangefatcat

• countolaf
    countolaf

Elder during a talk on abortion once consistently pronounced trimester as "trim-ster". Was eventually corrected, during his talk, by a sister.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit