Words Jehovers Witnesses Pronounce wrong...

by vomit 62 Replies latest jw friends

• DJK
    DJK

Is-reel-o-lites vs Is-ray-o-lites

• rowan
    rowan

I have lots of stories like this, but in my native language.

even though it has nothing to do with the witnesses, I have to share this. I cannot say the word "focus", my accent doesn't allow it.

like 2 years ago I gave a 1 hour conference in front of the entire gastroenterology unit of the institution where I work. after the conference, somebody took me apart and noted that I had kept on saying the word "focus", but the way I say it, to an american ear, it sounds "f**k us". everybody clapped after I was done though...

• gumb
    gumb

The title to this thread should be: "Words Jehovah's Witnesses Pronounce Wrongly".

Americans seem to have lost their adverbs a long time ago. Unfortunately the British have been affected with this blight on the English language. Please remember that an adverb (e.g. wrongly) should be used to describe a verb, while an adjective (e.g. wrong) should be used to describe a noun. Thank you!

• gumb
    gumb

BTW, I heard certain JWs pronounce God's name 'Jerhoovu'.

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

Your preaching to the choir Gumb. That's why we jokingly refer to speaking "American" as opposed to speaking "English." A classic example is what happended to me several Sundays ago. An elder approached me and asked, "How are you?" I replied, "I am well." He looked at me strangely, and in a questioning manner he said, "You're well?" I told him that was the correct response and that "well" is a state-of-being verb. He asked, "What is the wrong response?" I replied, "Good...if you say you feel "good," you are saying that it feels good to touch you...you feel good." He just shook his head and walked off.

Regards,

Justitia

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

Oh, BTW, please disregard the "happeneded...ededede" typo :)

• Jourles
    Jourles

'Shad-rak' instead of 'shay-drak' --- this one always bugged me especially when I would go out of my way to pronounce it in a meeting and then a bro or sis would comment right behind me and say it the wrong way and emphasize it like I was the one who butchered it.

• jelcat8224
    jelcat8224

There was a big debate a few years back in my old cong. over PHIL-is-tines vs. phi-LIS-tines ... I don't remember which was right (i don't really care)

Similar to Justitia: I replied to a neighbor the other day by saying "I am well" ... He said, "Wow, you don't hear that very often anymore!" It's sad what has become of the english language!

I always hated hearing Jehover ... There was a sister in my hall who would say it that way but any word that was SUPPOSED to end with an '-er' sound she would end with the '-ah' sound! I just don't understand!

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

At least one brother seems to have trouble with tentacles.

http://www.afilehost.com/file/2350/IllinoisDistrictConventionTalkExcerpt-mp3.html

Slim

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

Had a brother who was a bit of a clown and really struggled with reading. He gave a #4 talk one night about David routing various kings that had upset Jehovah. The only problem is that we pronounce 'routing' as 'rooting'! There wasn't a dry eye in the hall!

More recently a Lebanese elder who speaks Arabic was horrified that we mispronounced the city of Ai as the Americans would do, i.e.' ay eye' when it should be 'ah ee'. Unfortunately all the recordings of these place names that have an 'i' in them get the American pronunciation. He wasn't happy.
    'Unfortunately the British have been affected with this blight on the English language.'- we have the same tendency in NZ too gumb. (Including my darling wife!)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit