A guiding principal

by lrkr 7 Replies latest jw friends

• lrkr
    lrkr

Like many of you whose posts I've read, I am having trouble not loosing all of my faith at once. When the cloak starts to fall, you begin to doubt everything. One thing I think I believe, though- a person needs a set of principles to use as a moral compass. Something to help them know how to determine the "right" path.

The principle that is in the Hippocratic oath seems to be a good guiding principle- Do good where possible, but above all- do no harm.

The way this is affecting my thinking is that I dont want to go out in a flash, with a big DA letter or something- just fade gradually. Primarily, this is to shield my family from harm. They really have "drank the Kool-Aid." They really believe that if you are not a believing, active JW, you will be among the 90-95% of the earths population who gets the axe at the big A. (Sounds so gruesome to me now). So a glorious crash would really crush them emotionally.

I'm not posting this to advocate this approach or judge others who have picked a different path. Just spouting...What has your experience been?? Where has your search for a guiding principle led??

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

"Do good where possible, but above all- do no harm."

I think that's as good as it gets, and you are wise to have adopted it so early in your journey out of the WT. Welcome to the forum, btw.

The "do no harm" part is also what I think should be the guiding principle for parenting. Unfortunately, too many parents do harm when they think they are doing good.

• Zico
    Zico

That seems like a good principal to me, as for your path, just do whatever feels right for you. Welcome to the forum!

• abbagail
    abbagail

What's wrong with keeping the Bible's guiding principles? Just because the WT doesn't know how to teach it correctly, doesn't mean it's bad advice or all wrong. Keep the baby, just throw out the dirty WT-bathwater. ;-)

(Unless you didn't/don't believe in scripture, then I'm at a loss for words).

Welcome, though! And much Peaceful Success on the Journey Out.

/ag

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I am having trouble believing that Man has any accurate guide for him. We can
    find the answers in philosophy just as easily as in religion.

I think the Golden Rule is excellent philosophy. I choose to live by that.

As far as not harming the assimilated family, I would burst their bubble of belief
    if I thought it would wake them up, and yank them out of there, but it won't be that
    easy, so fading out of active dubdum is the only option for me. I have tried two
    different approaches. For my wife, clear doubt and giving reasons why. For my
    mother, stating there's something wrong and revealing the lack of love and consistency.

Neither has totally worked, neither has totally failed.

• Fred E Hathaway
    Fred E Hathaway

The use of the word "cloak" reminds me that we need the whole suit of armor from God, not to hide with (as a cloak is often for), but to be active in our faith, always ready to defend what we know is right and just and admirable, with mildness and deep respect. Peace is not a passive condition, but dynamic, sometimes vigorous. Like the 2-armed handshakes my grandfather used (while he was alive) that could go on for a minute or more, as he engaged his neighbor in an excited conversation. Versatility is a good principle. Proving trustworthy is another. Showing careful attention to the delicate feelings among us is also a great virtue. Providing rigor and muscle in a deft way is also important lest the rights of the silent be trampled. Insight and wisdom are beautiful to see, as well.

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

Welcome Irkr,

Treat other people the way you want to be treated!!

As far as getting out of the truth, oops I mean the "lie", you have to decide what is best for you. I don't think that matters as much as you getting out and unwashing your brain. Whatever you choose, it's a long process!

Good luck

nj

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    doubt everything

Thats not a bad principle either.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit