Its about to hit the fan!

by Amber Rose 19 Replies latest members private

• Clam
    Clam

LOL Terence, you're a bloody star.

• brunnhilde
    brunnhilde

A close friend of mine used to work at the YWCA. One of my early eye openers was her telling me about the many, MANY JW wives who came in battered and abused, terrified of going to the elders. I'm sure they were all just making it up though...

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Out of curiosity I checked the website of YWCA and compared it with the comments of the WT about YMCA. (Now I can't get that song by Village People out of my mind!)

The YWCA website had nothing obviously religious . I could only see that it was rooted in Christian tradition, but no mention of a current "Christian" affiliation.

The WT said this about the YMCA

w791/1p.31QuestionsFromReaders***

Consequently, there is ample evidence that the YMCA originated with religious objectives and continues to have such to this day. In joining the YMCA as a member a person accepts or endorses the general objectives and principles of the organization. He is not simply paying for something he receives, such as when buying things being sold to the public at a store. (Compare 1 Corinthians 8:10; 10:25.) Nor is his membership merely an entry pass, as when a person buys a theater ticket. Membership means that one has become an integral part of this organization founded with definite religious objectives, including the promotion of interfaith. Hence, for one of Jehovah’s Witnesses to become a member of such a so-called "Christian" association would amount to apostasy

As for you, since your profile says that you are married, you can say that it was your husband's wish... (like good dubby wives always do) or ask them to consider whether the movement of the twentyfirst century is still the same as it was in 1979??...Incidentally , I find nothing against joining the YWCA, only the YMCA !

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

When the elders come offer them a coffee along with some nice hot cross buns left over from Easter. A couple of chocolate bunnies would add a nice touch. Prominently display an Easter card that you've signed with your mother's name. Feel free to show it to them.

W

• Amber Rose
    Amber Rose

Thanks Blues Brother. A couple of years ago when I wanted to join the YMCA to use the pool I researched their origins and current standards and positions. I found they don't do much to promote Christianity. (and jeez, a JW certainly would never want to be considered a Christian, oh wait, arent they the only true Christians) You don't have to be a Christian to join, nor do you have to be young and you don't even have to be a man! Then I read that article from 1979 that you quoted and it scared me from joining. But that's 28 years old! How can we know if they still feel that way!

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

...tell 'em you have to 'join' to be able to have access to their library... that outta send 'em runnin. Or not.

Regards,

Jim TX

• LeslieV
    LeslieV

geee considering the fact that years ago in my community they used the pool for JW baptisms...tell them you are just getting reacquainted with baptism rituals. Also, in my town they sold the KH to a local church. They can make money off of "false religion", but you can not shop at a Salvation Army thrift store, or join the YMCA because the money goes to a church organization??????? What a bunch of hypocrites.

Leslie

• blondie
    blondie

http://www.un.org/dpi/ngosection/pdfs/watchtower.pdf.

Actually the WTS did not "join" the WTS but did form a non-governmental organization that was in assocation with the Department of Information (DPI) of the UN and had to support the charter of the UN.

In addition, the criteria for NGOs to become associated with DPI include the following: • that the NGO share the principles of the UN Charter; • operate solely on a not-for-profit basis; • have a demonstrated interest in United Nations issues and a proven ability to reach large or specialized audiences, such as educators, media representatives, policy makers and the business community;

Page 2

• have the commitment and means to conduct effective information programmes about UN activities by publishing newsletters, bulletins and pamphlets, organizing conferences, seminars and round tables; and enlisting the cooperation of the media. We expect that you will share this information with your concerned colleagues, as we are unable to address the scores of duplicate requests regarding the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society that are being directed to our offices. Thank you for your interest in the work of the United Nations. Sincerely, Paul Hoeffel Chief NGO Section Department of Public Information In addition, the criteria for NGOs to become associated with DPI include the following: • that the NGO share the principles of the UN Charter; • operate solely on a not-for-profit basis; • have a demonstrated interest in United Nations issues and a proven ability to reach large or specialized audiences, such as educators, media representatives, policy makers and the business community;

Page 2

• have the commitment and means to conduct effective information programmes about UN activities by publishing newsletters, bulletins and pamphlets, organizing conferences, seminars and round tables; and enlisting the cooperation of the media. We expect that you will share this information with your concerned colleagues, as we are unable to address the scores of duplicate requests regarding the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society that are being directed to our offices. Thank you for your interest in the work of the United Nations. Sincerely, Paul Hoeffel Chief NGO Section Department of Public Information In addition, the criteria for NGOs to become associated with DPI include the following: • that the NGO share the principles of the UN Charter; • operate solely on a not-for-profit basis; • have a demonstrated interest in United Nations issues and a proven ability to reach large or specialized audiences, such as educators, media representatives, policy makers and the business community;

Page 2

Page 2

Page 2

• have the commitment and means to conduct effective information programmes about UN activities by publishing newsletters, bulletins and pamphlets, organizing conferences, seminars and round tables; and enlisting the cooperation of the media. We expect that you will share this information with your concerned colleagues, as we are unable to address the scores of duplicate requests regarding the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society that are being directed to our offices. Thank you for your interest in the work of the United Nations. Sincerely, Paul Hoeffel Chief NGO Section

The letter above is from the UN itself, not an "apostate" site.

Blondie

• undercover
    undercover

I saw two "I Y" bumber stickers at the memorial last week.

I know of a couple of dubs who are members and who use the gym regularly. They have "Y" keychains and an "I Y" sticker on their gym bag that they keep in their car.

Not joining the "Y" may still be the official policy but in practice some are joining...and are able to not get in trouble for it.

• penny2
    penny2
    She's going to tell the elders probably tonight

Funny if she tells an elder who is himself a YMCA member. The JWs I know (including elders) seem to be quite happy to use YMCA facilities.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit