Were motoring through Canada -- need tips.

by Fatfreek 35 Replies latest jw friends

• ferret
    ferret

We recently visited Quebec city and no-one would speak English to us. All four people in our group said it was our last visit there. But on such a trip there is so much to see. I agree with other posters that have mentioned sites in the eastern provinces and Ontario. Niagara Falls is a must as there is so much to see and do. Also Banff and Jasper are beautiful in the summer. Happy Holidays and have a safe trip.

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

Again, thanks to all. Lee, those links will prove very valuable -- thanks for compiling.

That would be cute for all spectators, the four of us on motorcycles.

I guess we'll have to do some deciding before trekking into Quebec City. We'd probably feel like some of the espanics in this redneck territory.

One of you mentioned hooking up with some apostates along the way. Nothing would please me more -- but -- I'm the only one who was ever JW involved. I have to consider bro and sis in-law. All three of them are Church of Christ and they do their 15 minute Sunday service in the motel room, whereever we are, when we travel. They never pound me over the head with it and I appreciate that greatly -- so I exit to read the paper or hit some golf balls or such.

Judy enjoyed the last fest (our first) in Dallas and we'll be going there in some 3 weeks to their Bugfest. I'll just have to get my apostafesting behind me there.

A couple of questions:

Cell phone coverage -- we all have Cingular (now AT&T) with mobil-to-mobile. Does that count when you're up there? For keeping in touch when we're in Walmart, or such, we have a pair of walkie talkies. It's nice, however, to use the Cells. For keeping in touch with family back home would it be wise to buy one of those by-the-minute phones after we get up there?

Fats

• jgnat
  • acsot
    acsot

I guess we'll have to do some deciding before trekking into Quebec City. We'd probably feel like some of the espanics in this redneck territory.

I hope you're kidding. Would you refuse to visit Charles Bridge in Prague just in case you didn't come across any English speaking people? It's up to you, if you want to miss out on one of the most picturesque, European-style cities in North America. Old Quebec reminds me more of Europe, Prague in particular, than Old Montreal.

Read this: http://radio.weblogs.com/0117154/stories/2002/12/14/quebecCityCanada.html

And the venerable Fodors: http://www.fodors.com/miniguides/mgresults.cfm?destination=quebec_city@127&cur_section=fea&feature=30008

Guess what? Tours can be booked in English!

Actually, some of the funniest times I've had, and the most memorable, have been trying to converse in a language I don't know, with the people of those countries trying to help me or just switching to English to ease my embarrassment. As sammieswife said, so much depends on the tourist doing the visiting. I mean, if you're going to visit another country wouldn't you seek out the different cultures, languages, culinary experiences, etc. etc.?

If I visit South America, expecting Spanish everywhere, then I would be the one with the wrong expectations if I want the Quechua people in certain areas to speak to me in Spanish, since that's the language I understand. If I'm in a place where Quechua is spoken, I'd do my best to communicate in any way I could, and try and enjoy the process.

Of course, in a lot of my travels, I've gone to places where I don't understand the language, so to me it's not really a big deal. If this is the first time you're thinking about going someplace outside your comfort zone with respect to communicating, then I understand it may seem somewhat daunting. Whatever you decide, make sure you HAVE FUN!!

• Scully
    Scully
    Cell phone coverage -- we all have Cingular (now AT&T) with mobil-to-mobile. Does that count when you're up there? For keeping in touch when we're in Walmart, or such, we have a pair of walkie talkies. It's nice, however, to use the Cells. For keeping in touch with family back home would it be wise to buy one of those by-the-minute phones after we get up there?

Your plan might allow you to add a temporary package for roaming outside of your provider's territory.

One thing that I've done is purchased an economical long-distance calling card for $10 - $20 from a convenience store and then you can make calls home from any Canadian phone (even pay phones, and hotel phones) enroute. I always check to make sure that the company doesn't ding me with a per-call surcharge before buying - stick to the ones that only charge for time used. The card will give you a list of all the local numbers to dial for system access in each province you visit. Great idea to have the walkie talkies for you and the Mrs.

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

Jgnat, thanks for that coverage chart.

Scully, your calling card tips appear practical -- thanks for them.

Ascot -- I stand corrected and counseled. You make some very good points. Human nature is strange at times and mine is right on up there. Thank you.

Fats

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit