Were motoring through Canada -- need tips.

by Fatfreek 35 Replies latest jw friends

• jgnat
    jgnat

I agree, two weeks won't do it. All you'll do is drive.

Saskatchewan is flat. Maybe you can make up your time there.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

You'll be bored to death driving through the praries. The roadkill is more interesting than the scenery. At least Ontario is cool driving through rocks and stuff.

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

Oh, what a treasure trove of tips. Thanks to all.

Most suggest that two weeks is just not enough. No, we don't want to be always looking out some window just burning gas. We want to see things and get out and smell flowers and make memories. We're into boat cruises, ferry rides, excursion packages when available. Thanks for that advice. We just will have to make it longer. We are all retired and in good health thanks to our Lipitor and Plavix, etc.

I am now trying to map out all those strange (to me) names, you suggest, on a map to see where they put me. My Microsoft Streets & Trips is good for the U.S. but looks lean when it comes to Canada.

I'm now fooling around with Google Maps. It appears to have more detail but seems more difficult to zoom in or out. Plus, it's slower being web-based.

Quebec sounds like a fascinating city, rich in history. Can we get around okay since we can only speak English and So. Arkansas slang?

It sounds like those plains must resemble those in the states. We toured the western states last summer and that segment from Glacier toward Yellowstone was kind of like that. There was still some eye candy but far between.

Fats

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

Nova Scotia is my old stomping grounds as well.

You'll need to stop in the Bay of Fundy to see low tide. You will see a harbor that was at one time full, will have completely receded out leaving the ships resting in the mud.

Peggy's cove is another must see.

Cabot trail is nice, but much better in the fall. A trip to Cape Breton is worthwhile just to hear the native "Bretoners" speak.

If you have a day, I'd suggest staying in Dartmouth (cheaper hotels) then start the day off by taking the ferry over to Halifax and just walking the warf.

Walk upto Citadel Hill and over to the public gardens. Enjoy some local cuisine and walk back to the ferry.

Leaving Halifax on the TransCanada heading west, just after you pass Truro there will be a rest stop for "Masstown Market" It's the only stop off the highway for a while and is a great place to check out local arts and crafts as well as get a bite to eat. You can pop off the main route to check out the Bay of Fundy before continuing into New Brunswick.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu
    Can we get around okay since we can only speak English

Good luck. From what I hear, if you don't speak french while in Quebec (Montreal and Quebec City), you're an outcast. My wife almost got arrested there for causing a disturbance - she was stopped from bringing food to her mother while at the Montreal airport. My wife got pissed off because people were yelling at her in French.

From what I've heard about Quebec, I don't want to go visiting there. Also, Saskatchewan is a bit nicer to look at than Manitoba. I'd tell you what's nice to go see around here, but I can't think of anything other than trees and dirt.

edit: You could always pass through Point Douglas while you're in Winnipeg and see all the drunken indians. They can be amusing to see.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

You can easily get around in Quebec if you only speak french....what an experience you are going to have!! You can get maps at Walmart which are huge and I swear by them...I have one I use here constantly but you can pick one up anywhere in a Walmart Canada - heck if you could get someone to send you down one that would be a real asset. The East Coast of course has it's own full flavour...you will love Quebec and probably find it very European....I love Ontario because it's really diverse...I'm not so much a prairies person although I do find the major cities very clean and safe throughout...theres also the Stratford Shakesperian festival if you like a live performance and a quaint kitchy type town..the vineyards in Niagara..the parliament buildings in Ottawa...the old penal institute in Kingston..Waterton Park is one of my favourite places as well - it's in Alberta....Victoria awesome............you are going to have a blast! Have a poutine and a Timmies for me....sammieswife.

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

Oh, and also when in Nova Scotia, buy a Donair.

They're sold at most pizza parlors in the area, with a few specialty shops offering donairs only.

This is a meal that is only available in the maritimes and is fantastic. Most people that move away from NS bemoan the lack of donairs.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu
    Have a poutine

Yeah, poutine! Don't get on in a fast food restaurant though. They taste like shit there. Get one in a decent place and you'll love it. Fries, gravy, and cheese. Yum!

Thanks sammielee, now I've gotta go to the Bistro :9

Also, if you're a coke drinker in the US, you'll probably be a Pepsi drinker up here. Pepsi in the US tastes like crap, but the Coke down there is better than the Coke up here. At least that's my opinion.

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

That donair sounds good if it's lamb. But I'm the only one who would partake.

My mother, a JW till her death in the early 80's (I know it broke her heart when I left in '77), knew no english till 1st grade forced her to learn. Unfortunately I never picked up a bit of French despite all the family reunions. That part of my family hailed from a small village near Moncton. Our staple at family gatherings was poutine rappe. Dad interpreted it as a potato dumpling. I've found recipes on the web and they seem to differ greatly. When ready to eat it looks like a greyish sphere, baseball size. You'll need two of them to walk away happy. Yes, a soft spongy potato shell wrapped around a small center of chopped pork pieces, mostly fat since that's all our family could afford in those days.

Fats

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Huh? Poutine as a potato ball? Must be the french version. I only know fries, gravy and cheese.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit