What is FAITH?

by R.Crusoe 21 Replies latest jw friends

• golf2
  • Gill
    Gill

Faith is a belief in something or which there is no clear cut evidence. Faith is something a person 'wants' to believe rather than something that is necessarily believeable.

Faith can be the most destructive force in a persons life or it may be something that gives them hope in their darkest hours, simply because they WANT to believe that something unproveable is there.

Like a lot of things in this world, it is neither wholly good or wholly bad.

• golf2
    golf2

I worked as a high steel worker for 40 years. My job was to erect steel. To walk on narrow steel beams many stories above street level took FAITH. Faith in yourself. How did such faith come about? If you think I read books about how to work and walk on narrow beams, sorry no such thing.
    There are many activities that people engage in that reveal faith. What is this faith based on?

Golf

• LittleToe
  • Terry
    Terry
    I worked as a high steel worker for 40 years. My job was to erect steel. To walk on narrow steel beams many stories above street level took FAITH. Faith in yourself. How did such faith come about? If you think I read books about how to work and walk on narrow beams, sorry no such thing.
    There are many activities that people engage in that reveal faith. What is this faith based on?

Could you and everbody else see the beam you were walking on?

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

To me, without quoting Heb.11, Faith is an extension of trust. It does not have to be limited to a belief in God.

Suppose that you had a wife or girlfriend, you were a devoted couple and you felt that you knew her totally. If someone accused her of wrongdoing that was totally out of charecter you might say "No" .... No matter what apparent evidence, you may say that you knew her better and you trusted and had faith in her good charecter. You could not prove it to others but her innocence was totally real to you.

Faith in God is something like that as was written about Moses, he could "see the one who is invisible". Whether or not that one exists is something that I doubt will ever be finally established. I believe that he does . The logic that tells me that he exists does not seem to follow for some others.

To me , faith is trust based on a reasoned argument and logic, and a trust in the charecter that you know so well that you believe that you know what they would do in a situation

• zack
    zack

Myths do no create martyrs--- victims, yes--- but martyrs, no.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo
    Could you and everbody else see the beam you were walking on?

Everyone may see the beam - but how does he or anyone else watching know for certain he's not going to fall off?

• olvidado
    olvidado

I think that faith can make you do the greatest deed of altruism and love for others (I am thinking of Christian missionaries going to the third world to spend their whole lives helping people there, because they have a strong faith) and can make you do the most horrible deeds in the world (for example, suicide terrorists who think that God will reward you because of that). It all depends on what you put your faith. I dont know exactly whtat faith is, but I think it is more importante to know exactly in what you believe and what consequences (good or bad) have in your life and the lives of people around you.

• golf2
    golf2

Sad emo. "...but how does he or anyone else watching know for certain he's not going to fall off?" There are not guarantee's in this trade. being busy in erecting the structure keeps our mind off falling. The possiblity of falling is ever present but it isn't our main focus, doing the job at hand is. Over time it becomes second nature. We are talking about faith, it takes faith to believe in yourself that you can perform the job under dangerous circumstances.

Golf

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit