The Scofield 1907 Bible

by Sasha 10 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Sasha
    Sasha

or it may be the 1908 or 09 version. Anyone out there use it, or recommmend it?

• FireNBandits
    FireNBandits

I recommend that you avoid it entirely. Every Christian I've met who uses a Scofiled Bible utters nonsense that is easily refuted, and on some level of their minds Scofields notes get mixed up with the actual text, short-circuiting the work of the Spirit. But, hey, if you like being part of the herd--as most religious folks do--go for it. Just remember I warned you about it when you shed your body and see and know The Truth, "God" if you prefer. You will see Scofiled notes for what they are. Nonsense. -Martin

• Fred E Hathaway
    Fred E Hathaway

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scofield_Reference_Bible tells more about its history, in case anyone's still interested.

• Sasha
    Sasha

I am open to suggestions on what Bible to buy and use. I love my own; I've had it since 1967 and it has all my notes, etc. However, it is a Watchtower Society Bible. If I'm not a witness anymore, I kinda feel like maybe I should switch!!! Again, I am open to recommendations.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

It was some pretty wacky interpretations in it.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Sasha....Try the old Jerusalem Bible from the 1960s loaded with footnotes, marginal references, and all the apocrypha. This is my default Bible. The translation may be a bit spotty in places, but it is very readable, the verse and chapter markers are not in the text itself which is arranged in a way that reveals its literary structure, making it very easy to comprehend, and it uses "Yahweh" in the OT.

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega

Ecc 10:14

(AMP)

A fool also multiplies words, though no man can tell what will be--and what will happen after he is gone, who can tell him?

(ASV)

A fool also multiplieth words: yet man knoweth not what shall be; and that which shall be after him, who can tell him?

(BBE)

The foolish are full of words; man has no knowledge of what will be; and who is able to say what will be after him?

(Bishops)

(10:13) A foole is full of wordes, and a man can not tell what shall come to passe: who wyll then warne hym of it that shall folowe after hym?

(Contemporary English Version)

They never tire of talking, but none of us really know what the future will bring.

(Complete Apostles' Bible)

A fool moreover multiplies words. No man knows what has been, nor what will be. Who shall tell him what will come after him?

(Darby)

And the fool multiplieth words: yet man knoweth not what shall be; and what shall be after him, who will tell him?

(DRB)

A fool multiplieth words. A man cannot tell what hath been before him: and what shall be after him, who can tell him?

(Easy to Read Version)

A foolish person is always talking {about what he will do}. But no one knows what will happen in the future. No one can tell what will happen later.

(ESV)

A fool multiplies words, though no man knows what is to be, and who can tell him what will be after him?

(Good News Bible)

A fool talks on and on. No one knows what is going to happen next, and no one can tell us what will happen after we die.

(God's Word) He never stops talking. No one knows what the future will bring, or what will happen after death. Who can say!

(JPS) A fool also multiplieth words; yet man knoweth not what shall be; and that which shall be after him, who can tell him?

(King James 2000)

A fool also is full of words: a man cannot tell what shall be; and what shall be after him, who can tell him?

(KJVR)

A fool also is full of words: a man cannot tell what shall be; and what shall be after him, who can tell him?

(LITV)

Yet the stupid one makes many words; a man knows not what they shall be; and what shall be after him, who can tell him?

(Modern King James Version)

A fool also makes many words; a man knows not what they shall be; and what shall be after him, who can tell him?

(Message)

Fools talk way too much, Chattering stuff they know nothing about.

(New International Version)

and the fool multiplies words. No one knows what is coming-- who can tell him what will happen after him?

(New King James Version)

A fool also multiplies words. No man knows what is to be; Who can tell him what will be after him?

(NLT)

Foolish people claim to know all about the future and tell everyone the details! But who can really know what is going to happen?

(New Revised Standard Version)

yet fools talk on and on. No one knows what is to happen, and who can tell anyone what the future holds?

(New World Translation)

And the foolish one speaks many words. Man does not know what will come to be; and that which will come to be after him, who can tell him?

(The Scriptures '98+) And a fool increases words; a man knows not what shall come to be; and who declares to him what shall be after him?

(Webster)

(Youngs Literal Translation)

And the fool multiplieth words: `Man knoweth not that which is, And that which is after him, who doth declare to him?'

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega

I posted those parallel translations from the many Bibles available free with E-Sword. It shows the differences between them

For me, the CEV, NRSV and the MKJV are high on my list.

• onacruse
    onacruse

All I can say is that I have, in hand now, a Scofield that my dear Ethel Davis gave me, in honor of Edwin's death, and my being one of his pall-bearers, and a frequent guest at their very inviting home.

He was one of the old cigar-chomping JWs.

Someday, I must make it up to Skyline Memorial and place a rose on their graves.

May they both rest in peace.

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

Leolaia,

Just wondering what your thoughts are on the New Jerusalem Bible? I like both the older Jerusalem Bible and the New Jerusalem Bible myself but haven't really researched the differences between them. Is the older one better in your estimation?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit