Major Depression

by peewee62 8 Replies latest watchtower medical

• peewee62
    peewee62

My Name is Sharon,and I have a lil sister that just had her husband of 20 years run out on her with out telling her anything,he just packed up and left,and was also late on their morgage for two months 3000 behind,she has her own home daycare but she only had three children in her daycare when he left,she did not know if she was going to have to move or not,and he was steady calling her and messing with her about anything,she is a good person,he put her in a very deep depression,recently she told her family she was hearing voices calling her name out every where she goes,it will start as a whisper,then it would get louder,so we came over and talk with some of the witnesses,we told her to say a loud prayer to Jehovah God,and she was also playing the kingdom melodies,and watching a video of a bible study,and she was reading the bible,and while she was doing all that she was still hearing the voices,that made her family think that it was something else wrong with her,she has been trying to get a bible study started and she has it in her heart to learn and serve Jahovah God and Jesus Christ,could some one please help us or tell us what coild be going on if you know anything please because we really love our sister very much,we lost our parents we dont want to lose our sister.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

She needs to get counseling from a legal therapist.

• bernadette
    bernadette

Hi Sharon

welcome

Very sorry about the distress your sis is experiencing. Sounds like she emotionally overloaded. Encourage her not to take on anything new for the present and to see her doctor.

Is she seeing her doctor regularly?

bernadette

• trevor
    trevor

Sharon

Depression can be cause by the accumulation of a number of losses. You mentioned losing your parents. Now your sister has just lost her husband, someone she valued.

We succumb to depression when we lose something or someone we have placed value on. Finding other people to place value on may help, but more importantly she must learn to place more value on herself.

This all takes time but she has to be honest with herself about what she once shared with her husband and whether this had been lost, causing him to leave? Does she grieve what she once had or what was actually left at the end? Would she want him back?

She has to face up to the loss and consciously rearrange her values. Constructively talking these things through can be a great help.

• J-ex-W
    J-ex-W

Sometimes psychosis (hallucinatory thoughts/ sounds/ visions) can come with severe depression--and in response to cumulative losses, as one poster said. She needs a good legal therapist to help her navigate the devastating shocks of this horrible time period for her--and, really, a psychiatrist to evaluate for a possible recommendation for medication. (I'm thinking of the auditory hallucinations especially.)

HUGS for your sister--and for you, with all your concern for her, and for your own losses as well!!

J-ex-W

• FuzzyPaul
    FuzzyPaul

Hugs to you as well. Depression can take a long time to overcome. The trauma of getting help can worsen some folk. But in time a professional medical doctor (psychiatrists usually are Medical Doctors not demoniacs as the WT taught) can really help. Let the Dr. direct, patient decision making hinders the treatment usually. Dr Jerry Bergman was a JW and has information that helps many. MSN search his name.

Regards,

Paul

• alphafemale
    alphafemale

Hi Sharon,
    I'm sorry your sister is feeling so ill. Both my sister and I have suffered several bouts of major depression. I can say from experience that it feels like you are in hell on earth. I personally have not had auditory hallucinations but my sister has. She hears voices and also loud noises in her head. In my sister's case, these are a result of a chemical imbalance in the brain associated with the depression. It is urgent that you pursuade your sister to see a doctor. My sister and I delayed seeking medical help because the witnesses advised us not to. We were both told to pray more, spend more time in the service, lean on Jehovah etc, etc. This did not help, rather it made matters worse. The implication was that it was our fault we were ill because we were not spiritual enough. This is a medical matter not a religious matter.
    It's good that she has family she can turn to. With help from an appropriate professional and your support she stands a good chance of making a full recovery.
    Good luck,
    Alpha

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

Your sister needs the help of a qualified physician, not listening to kindom melodies and watching bible studies!!

nj

• flipper
    flipper

Please get her to a doctor asap! I went through a horrible depression during a divorce - I can't believe how close I came to suicide. I didnt want the medication, but my very cool doctor recommended it strongly and now I am living a very good life. It really is a chemical imbalance brought on by stress chemicals when one is under extreme hardship. Please realize the witnesses cannot help with this - more stress and guilt could push her over the edge. The best move I made when I was going through my depression was to avoid contact with people who stressed me and guilted me, and I had a great therapist and support group. There has been quite a problem with suicide in the JW organization because of the treatment given depressed people - pray more, out the demons, etc. I had a childhood friend who shot herself in the heart after being in the Witnesses. You have a good and strong heart to come on here to get help for her.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit