Back Surgery

by AuntieJane 18 Replies latest jw friends

• AuntieJane
    AuntieJane

Hi guys, I'm asking for your support as I face a frightful event...back surgery. I have been in

excrutiating pain for about 6 weeks due to the L2-3 herniation. I have had problems only since

last November and it has progressed to a horrible sciatic nerve pain that does not go away. I'm

on a painkiller, doing exercises and anything I can to feel better. Today I found out I will see the

neurosurgeon on April 12 and he will do surgery the next day if necessary. I have talked to anyone

I know who has had to do this, and am following a friend's referral to this dr. She assures me he is

not 'knife happy' and will direct me to alternate therapy if possible. But so far my chiropractor, GP, and

an orthopedist that I saw (hoping that was my problem) have told me to expect surgery and that I should

have good results.

I have always been healthy, taken care of myself but these last few years I have dealt with colon cancer

(doing just fine, 6 yrs hence) followed 2 yrs later by adhesions which put me in the hospital for 2 weeks.

This back thing makes me empathize with those who have to live with daily pain their entire lives. God

help them. I'd like to hear from anyone about your experiences with back surgery, good and bad..and please

keep me in your thoughts and prayers.

AJ

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

AJ,

Don't do it.

Give it a year.

Exercise (crunches and hyperextensions at a minimum)

After a year of doing these, and seeing chiropractors and massage therapists,..

I would still avoid back surgery.

Statistically, back surgery is in league with predicting the weather.

BA- All better for decades, after a no-show for back surgery.

PS- You must be willing to exert yourself to avoid the knife, but it is well worth it.

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

Remember....nurses are your best friends...next to the pain killers!!

I have helped with back surgeries...that have helped, and not helped...depended on the patient.

It's real important to follow the doc's instructions after the surgery...don't over-do it, but don't under-do it, either.

Has he done alot of surgeries? Who is doing the anethesia?

shell

• AuntieJane
    AuntieJane

Brother, but how does doing the therapy 'fix' the problem in the verebrae? I am fully in favor of avoiding surgery, but also afraid to put it off because I could be in worse shape down the road. This is SO hard. I do appreciate your input and hope to hear more.

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

AJ,

I speak from experience.

Google "Statistics back surgery"

Or, if you are not internet savvy:

http://www.google.com/search?sa=N&resnum=1&q=Statistics%20back%20surgery&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&um=1&tab=iw

Research it.

It is voodoo, at best.

Take control of your life.

Exercise, as I stated- hyperextensions and crunches.

Watch how much (and what) you eat.

BA- Don't do it, unless you want to be a Guinea Pig.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

One thing about back surgery is that it has been performed so many times that the docs are really good at it. However, I would also say put it off if you can, try ice and rest, find a very experienced massage therapist who can work on your low back pain - it's safe if you are in the hands of a good massage therapist. The thing about back surgery is most people who have one back surgery will have a second one eventually. I hope you can hang in there and feel better soon.

• BrentR
    BrentR

If you have never had chronic low back pain then there is no way to describe it. You get to the point that even surgery with mixed odds is a risk worth taking. The decision is not taken lightly by the ortho and certainly the patient. When a disk herniation gets bad there are really no conservative fixes available.

I only have stage one disk degeneration and osteo arthritis and the pain is unbearable on many days. I can not imagine the pain from a herniation. On top of the pain there are other problems with having severe inflammation going on around the nerve branches. When it gets to that stage you have two options, surgery or suicide.

In my case a spinal epidural steroid injection got rid of 95% of the pain so that I can devote a full hour a day to extension exercises and mountain biking to reduce some weight. To assist the disk material to start regenerating I am doing high dose amino acids. So far my finger nails are growing like mad so that is a good indicator.

I really hope it goes well for you and you get some relief. Keep us posted and have a goal set for what you really want to get back into or do afterwards. Frame of mind and attitude plays a very important role in recovery.

Best wishes!!!!!!!

• AuntieJane
    AuntieJane

Thx BrentR; a spinal epidural would be welcome! I hope to be given that option but I don't expect it.

It helps so much to hear from those of you who have dealt with this. The pain IS indescribable, at times

it is bearable, I am much better standing and walking. When it is bad, it goes from my lower back to

buttock, to side of thigh, then the knee feels like someone is stabbing an ice pick alternately with a hot

iron, then it scoots down my shin. I don't feel the tears that roll down my cheeks, which is a blessing ;o(

I'm on Percocet for a week now, with Ibuprofen as needed.

Again, I'm grateful for everyone's postings and will take all into consideration. Thank you.

• ImFreeNow
    ImFreeNow

Had back surgery L4, L5 discs 15 years ago and it was the best thing I ever did!!!!! Went from complete numbness in my left foot, pain in my buttocks and calf to NONE after the surgery and still feels great. Some are always against surgical methods but sometimes it is the only way unless you want to deal with constant pain and refuse to deal with it except with voodoo medicine. I have had two friends who also have had back surgery with good results. Many times those that don't listen and do what the doctor says as a part of aftercare is the problem. After exhausting other methods od treatment GET IT FIXED correctly. I'm sure you will be glad you did.

Best wishes to you, and hope all goes well!!!!

• AuntieJane
    AuntieJane

ImFreed, thanks so much for posting! Your experience gives me hope. Tomorrow I'm calling a former co-worker whose husband had similar surgery, I heard it all went well for him. It's been several yrs in this case, too, so hope to hear the same as you reported.

The numbness down my leg scares me, I just don't think I would get anywhere doing exercises for a length of time. All I need now is to lose my balance and fall and break something,too.

by the way, Welcome to the board and I'm really happy that you are FREE now! I never was a JW but have family whose eyes I hope get opened one of these years...

AJ

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit