Doctors Should Not Be Forced To Artificially Inseminate Lesbians

by Sam Beli 18 Replies latest social current

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

"Benitez is represented by the LAMBDA Legal Defense Fund, one of the leading organizations promoting the homosexual agenda."

Take this article with the huge grain of salt it deserves, folks.

• Emma
    Emma

Well, they certainly wouldn't be forced in Michigan. There's already a law that allows any one in the health care profession to refuse to treat anyone they think will offend their religious beliefs. So if they percieve someone might be gay, they can refuse to treat them. This one apparently slipped through our conservative legislature. It doesn't end with treatment of gays by any means, applies to birth control and reproductive issues, too.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

The big background theoretical issue, imo, is whether medicine is to be regarded as a private or a public service.

I guess this question, like many others, would attract opposite majority answers each side of the Atlantic.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Didier:

The big background theoretical issue, imo, is whether medicine is to be regarded as a private or a public service.

I disagree

Doctors (as any other employee) are not merely a commodity. To play the "you're employed in public service, so you'll do as you're told" card would be similar to the way we mistreat the members of our armed forces when we send them out to do dirty jobs and then release them back into our communities without proper reintegration/counselling.

There's something about tolerating conscience (especially in non-emergency treatments) that sets apart the medical world as something reasonably humane, IMHO. Of course such policies are open to abuse, but rarely does this occur in emergency situations.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Ross,

My opinion is that if it is regarded as public service it must be made available; the responsibility of the administration being to provide access to alternative practitioners inasmuch as it allows for the conscientious objection of some.

(This is, of course, a European perspective.)

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

But who will protect the delicate consciencessesses of the insurance companies?

NEW YORK -- An appeals court in New York said an insurance company must help pay for a teenage boy's breast reduction surgery.

Group Health Inc. had refused to pay for the procedure, saying it was cosmetic and not medically necessary.

But the boy's father said his 17-year-old son was teased by peers and even feared going away to college because he thought his dorm-mates would poke fun at him.

GHI lost the case in state Supreme Court and again in the appellate division. The judges called the teen's breasts a deformity and a "devastating condition with 'psychosocial' consequences."

The boy's father paid $7,500 for the surgery. He will get back $5,000 from the insurance company.

Btw Ross, who says that poor doctor wouldn't have gotten counseling? :P~!

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

In the US... probably not. If the Doc is in private practice he is, in essence. self employed and can take work as he pleases. If he works for a clinic or hospital he can refuse to do things he finds immoral, like any other employee can... Besides, isn't the Oath they take to "do no harm"? The Lesbian should find a clinic willing to do the work. ~Hill

• FireNBandits
    FireNBandits

"...the right of
    physicians to refuse to perform medical procedures that violate their sincerely held religious
    convictions."

TRANSLATION: The right of physicians to allow their personal bigotries and animosities to dictate the dissemination of medical care in an otherwise free and open society. This has "fundy arse-wipe Christian" smeared all over it. -Martin

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I dont think doctors should be forced to artificially inseminate anyone, this is not a health issue or a life threatening emergency, but simply an issue of filling a need to be a parent.

Sorry, you all can scold me if you wish, but I dont believe that life should be purposefully created by artificial means in order to usurp the family arrangement.

Religion aside, I believe that children should be created the old fashioned way by having sex.

There are 1000's of doctors in this country willing to oblige her, her suing this doctor is not only wrong, but egregious.

If she wants to have kids, she can do like the rest of us, get laid-LOL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit