Why 1914 Won't Be Abandoned...

by deaconbluez 20 Replies latest jw friends

• deaconbluez
    deaconbluez

"Crisis of Conscience" pointed out a lot of the following:

Jehovah's Witnesses simply can't abandon the 1914 teaching because it is too much of a pivotal date on which a major portion of their doctrinal and authority structure rests. Their belief system is tied with 1914 in the following ways:

That in 1914 Jesus became "present" or invisible to human eyes, but now beginning a judgement period for all his professed followers and for the world.
    That in 1914 Jesus now began active rulership toward all the world, his kingdom officially taking power.
    That 1914 marks the start of the "last days" or the "time of the end" foretold in Bible prophecy.
    That three and a half years after 1914 (in 1918) the resurrection of Christians sleeping in death, from the Apostles onward, began.
    That about that same time (in 1918) Christ's true followers then living went into spiritual captivity to Babylon the Great, being released the following year, 1919, at which time Jesus
    acknowledged them collectively as his "faithful and discreet slave," his approved agency for directing his work and caring for his interests on earth, his sole channel for communicating
    guidance and illumination to his servants earthwide.
    That from that time forward the final "harvest" work has been in progress, with salvation or destruction as ultimate destinies.

So you see, to weaken belief in the significance of the foundation date of 1914 would weaken the whole doctrinal superstructure that rests on it. But more important to Brooklyn that that, it would also weaken the claim of special authority for those acting as the official spokesman group for the "faithful and discreet slave" class. To remove that date as having significance would collapse their doctrinal and authority structure. That is how crucial it is. I think they want to change it. The GB probably cringes when the topic of 1914 comes up. I see it almost like the blood doctrine. They keep inching further and further away from what they've held on to. If they could get away with it, they would totally reverse that policy I think, acknowledging that the Scriptures weren't talking about "blood" in that sense. But too many lives have been lost and too many families have been destroyed over that one teaching alone. So, just like the saying goes, "When you lie, you have to keep telling more lies to cover up the old ones."

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader
    Jehovah's Witnesses simply can't abandon the 1914 teaching because it is too much of a pivotal date on which a major portion of their doctrinal and authority structure rests. Their belief system is tied with 1914 in the following ways:

I agree, if we thought the NGO or generation was a crisis for the witnesses this would be mass exodus, this is as pivotal as the Trinity is to most churches.

abr

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

I agree, they have put too many eggs in one basket. They will continue to look ridiculous as 2014 looms ahead, but they are paralyzed by their own doctrine which gives them their authority.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I have always agreed with this, in theory. I just see that time is going to force their hand IMHO.

They can backseat it perhaps - but as pivotal as the date it is - it will keep creeping into the picture unwanted - till they find a way to 'disclaimer' it somehow.

Just my opinion

Jeff

• greendawn
    greendawn

If the JWs check the history of the so called FDS they will quickly see that the FDS is nothing but a scum not just because the date is wrong but also because there is no FDS appearing suddenly at the end of times, he was always there since the beginning of the church, and also the FDS is just the GB (or the presidents and their innermost circle in the past ie a handful of people) and not all or at least most the anointed.

• greendawn
    greendawn

Sorry double post, I don't even know how it happened.

• greendawn
    greendawn

What a load of mythology to begin with, the WTS is playing fast and loose with invisible events that can't be verified, and how did all the JWs around the world become captives of babylon in 1918? I don't know what sort of alchemies they can come up with but a sense of urgency is something vital for controlling and manipulating their followers and if 1914 goes then that sense of urgency will go with it. Preaching will get lax and they will lose a big portion of the free time the dubs give to the org to sell its products. Sales and sales profits will go down dramatically.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

The last witness at my door was 6 - 8 months ago. I told her only that I 'used to study' and asked her about 1914. She at first looked like she didn't know what I was talking about. Then she responded rather dismissively, like 1914 was never very important anyway. The date 1914 was, to me, always the lynchpin. Now it has no more significance than, say, 1987?

Even though I took a little book and voluntarily gave a 'donation' she has not been back. No "End of False Religion" and no Memorial invite stuck in my door.

Perhaps the WTS spin doctors won't have to abandon 1914 after all - the dubs aren't paying any attention anyway.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

(Again) the reason why I think 1914 won't be abandoned is that imho they have strictly nothing to gain and everything to lose from such a change.

To the average witness and prospective convert 1914 is no more and no less than a "foundational sign": Jehovah revealed the beginning of the "Last days" (an infinitely extendable period, ask the Adventists, the Mormons, and all of Christianity) to his true servants and he made that clear by letting them know the date of World War I 40 years in advance.

Iow the 1914 teaching, regardless of actual history, serves as a proof that they are God's organisation and channel in modern times (aka "last days"). Compared to that the niceties about 1918 and 1919 (which 99 % of JWs do not understand or forget as soon as they put the Watchtower down) do not count. They could even drop 607 as they dropped 606 and the Great Pyramid -- the "sign" might work even better ("even though they were wrong in their calculations, Jehovah revealed..."). As the SDA example with 1844 shows, that could still work pretty well 70 years from now.

• The wanderer
    The wanderer

==========================================================

The Watchtower Society will place less emphasis on 1914
    and downplay the year the closer we get to 2014. Will
    they totally abandon 1914?

Maybe or maybe not, but the possibility is that the year
    1914 will undergo modifications and other changes.

Remember, 1935 was an absolute teaching for over 70
    years and within the span of one or two articles the
    teaching has undergone significant changes.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Respectfully,

The Wanderer

=========================================================

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit