Does The Memorial Mean ANYTHING To You???

by minimus 60 Replies latest jw friends

• The wanderer
    The wanderer

I used to love the memorial it was the most special
    night of the year. At times, I still feel some
    kind of longing for it, I just do not know why.

Respectfully,

The Wanderer

• Undecided
    Undecided

I went to a revival meeting at a church while the memorial was going on, so it didn't mean much to me, neither did the church meeting. I just can't understand religion's usefullness to some God out there. There are so many versions of worship that I can't tell the difference between good and bad. You would think if it was so necessary, God would at least make known what he considers the real truth so that every human could find it without doubt and confusion. So I'm just waiting to see if he will enlighten me.

Ken P.

• caligirl
    caligirl

Nope. I don't think it really meant anything to me when I went either. When I was little, I do remember being petrified that I would spill the wine and whether I would be smote on the spot for daring to spill the "sacred" emblems. Then I got older, and it was my dad's turn to buy the "emblems. When we got to eat the leftover crackers and (I think) my parents drank the leftover wine, I realized that these things came from the local store, not some special heavenly mini-mart, and I wasn't afraid any more. At some point, I realized that we heard the same talk year after year, and that It was just another boring meeting that we had to go to in addition to all the other boring meetings. The difference was that for this one, we actually had to endure bible readings for the week before to "prepare" and we usually got to get some spiffy new clothes. I believe that 1998 was the last memorial that I went to - possibly even 1997. And that damn song still runs through my brain when ever a thread like this pops up to remind me of it. In any event, it is as meaningless to me as any other meeting.

• Borgia
    Borgia

It's actually quite funny to see people besiege Gods Blessing on the bread and wine and the people present all subsequently refusing to take anything. Much a do about nothing.

It reminds me of the people who were in Israel without being circumsized. They were not allowed to partake. But could if they so wanted. Here, not a chance, even if you wanted to although the wine symbolizes the blood that needs to be used to survive the big A.

This year the wine glases were half full and small in size.(it was anticipated no one would partake!)Even the decanter was only minorly filled.

But I liked the coffee, wine and cake afterwards.

Cheers

Borgia

• minimus
    minimus

Imagine someone telling you you had one last supper and their would be food and wine BUT YOU can't enjoy it. What a bummer!

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

When I was little, it was always an excuse to stay up late on a weeknight.

We used to get to go out to eat either before or after, and I always got to order a dessert with my meal.

I remember the auditorium, and having it packed out, and the brother's asking the younger brothers to stand up in the back. Then we'd all prop up against the literature counter, and chill.

It meant something totally different this year though. It meant i was free. They no longer have any hold on me.

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Hi Mini! Let me get a little serious in answering your question. It used to have meaning for me. Jesus dying for me, paradise earth awaits me, living forever, God loves me and everyone else individually. The week before the memorial, I would read the Bible accounts that told us about his trials and sufferings, his tears and cries, his wanting this cup removed, his faithfulness to the end etc. I would cry over the way he died. I would have pain of heart and felt a connection to him not the organization. His death and memorial had real significance in my life for 33 years.

Now, I'm numb, I have no feelings when I read these accounts, the memorial has no meaning for me, heaven is out of sight as is a paradise earth. I'm in no man's land today. A doubting Thomas. God, Jesus, Her, It, Whoever, Whatever, I feel no connection, have received no contact, no reassurance, nothing, Im talking to the wall. I ask why, no response.

How about you Mini, what did you feel then, what do you feel now, I would really like to know?

Blueblades

• minimus
    minimus

Blue, I never felt I was going to heaven. I don't know where I'll wind up. So for me, the Memorial, as it's celebrated by JWs is meaningless. If I felt I was going to heaven, I'd clearly partake but to stupidly sit and pass emblems is soooooo strange, it ain't for moi.

• Smiles_Smiles
    Smiles_Smiles

Nope, nothing at all.

I didn't even know it was last night until I got online today. teheheee Pretty Cool!!!

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Thanks Mini! I agree the way that the Watchtower celebrates the memorial is meaningless. The Bibical narratives use to have meaning. Now I'm not so sure that they are inspired words from God. So, man made narratives are questionable to me. The book, Misquoting Jesus, the story behind who changed the Bible and why reveals all the scribal errors and multitudes of mistakes and intentional alterations when it comes to what Jesus actually said by earlier translators. Just like the Watchtower has done with it's New World Translation. The accounts concerning the memorial are questional and hearsay.For certain they are not the exact copy of Jesus' words. Doubt is allowable, just ask Thomas.

Blueblades

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit