The chronicles of Narnia and Harry Potter

by uuus2b1 34 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

I am a lone Christian, that does not have an issue with the Harry Potter books, and the reason is simple. The magic is used for good, and, hopefully, good wins in the end. If it doesn't I will be sorely disappointed.

• heathen
    heathen

I actually wouldn't be surprised if they don't go back to the hard line on all entertainment . You hardly can't turn on the TV without seeing sexual content or drugs or violence and now they are using street language in shows .

• Gill
    Gill

Jehovah's Witnesses are amongst the most superstitious religion/cult in the world!

They are afraid of second hand goods, and believe that demons can live in simple house hold goods. It's hardly suprising that they are afraid of 'Lion The Witch and the Wardrobe' or even our dear 'Harry Potter'.

• VanillaMocha73
    VanillaMocha73

My mother would not allow Lion, Witch and Wardrobe either - because of the word Witch in the title. Funny her surprise when she learned that it was a Christian book.

• Nowman
    Nowman

Ok, I think a big part of why JWs have a problem with "Narnia" is because it actually has a religious background. Im 33 years old and had never heard of the "Narnia" books either, they sell in religious book stores. I believe the lion represents Jesus, and the witch in the signifies Satan. At least this is what my grandmother recently told me. Perhaps the JWs feel this movie is not a good representation of the bible.

I loved Narnia and so did my kids, we own it on DVD. Its one of my favorite movies. As for Harry Potter series, we own those too and I love watching them with my kids. Can't wait to see Harry Potter 5!

Nikki

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Blondie

• Snow White
    • Cinderella
    • Sleeping Beauty
    • The Littlest Mermaid
    • Pirates of the Caribbean
    • Pinocchio
    • Alice in Wonderland
    • Peter Pan
    • Beauty and the Beast
    • Aladdin
    • The Lion King
    • Or non-disney Shrek

As a JW I would not have allowed my children to see any of the above. They also didn't watch cartoons. Most were ruled out due to the huge amount of violence (the Roadrunner getting run over or falling off a cliff but never dying). I ever hated the Flintstones because Fred was always blaming Wilma for his mistakes.

They did watch Sesame Street Mr. Dressup and The Friendly Giant but not Mr Rogers who had a witch friend.

OMG I was a fanatical cult member!!!

After I left the WTS the girls were allowed to watch just about anything except most horror movies (the Exorcist type movies)

Now my grandson is enamoured by The Incredibles. He can barely say it but has to watch it every day. My daughter knows the movie by heart now and has come to hate it. But he is just so delighted with it that my daughter will make him an Incredibles birthday cake and I have bought him all Incredibles gifts. I'm also supposed to make him an Incredibles cape even though the Incredibles don't wear one. Seems he has started taking blankets and trying to tie them around his neck as he charges around the room while he watches the Incredibles

Phew.I think I'm no longer a fanatical cult member

• blondie
    blondie

Many here worship at the altar of Walt Disney, JWs that is. The first movie I remember seeing as a young child was Sleeping Beauty.

• uuus2b1
    uuus2b1

I remember when the little mermaid came out, we had a JW get-together and watched it as a bookstudy group. Thinking back..there was a witch in there too! Ursula..singing "poor unfortunate souls" What's wrong with that witch!

• JeffT
    JeffT

I'm not sure the average Witness is literate enough to know who C. S. Lewis was, but if they did it would be an additional black mark against "Narnia." Lewis was a brilliant theologian and is regarded as one of the greatest Christian writers ever. No doubt Witnesses that know this can't stand him, even if they've never read him.

Personally, I like all of that stuff, LoTR, Potter etc.

• heathen
    heathen

I can't see how a dubby can even go to a movie at all . It's a product of the satanic immoral world they condemn every day . CS Lewis of course an apostate , JK rowling ,probably apostate who knows , I do know that the wiccan religion is taking over europe . Walt disney is now even being accused of being a racist . By owning a tv they are letting part of the greedy, commercial, satanic world into their homes . Complete hypocrites they are .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit