JW selling Brooklyn Heights property

by Gayle 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Gayle
    Gayle

http://brooklynheightsblog.com/archives/882

selling old Standish Hotel,,I can't seem to cut & paste,,maybe someone else can do it to this forum. Thank you.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Link to the article

Hmm, could there be an exodus underway from Brooklyn? That was the speculation of one commenter.

• blondie
    blondie

It would make sense that they would do this. They have reduced the number of Bethelites in Brooklyn (and elsewhere), have transferred the remainder of the printing to Wallkill (after building a large new facility there). I would anticipate that they will continue to downsize and to move most if not all of their work to Wallkill, Patterson, or farm it out to other WT printing facilities in other countries.

Originally, they came there because of NYC being the shipping hub of the US. Shipping is no longer centralized in NYC and the WTS ships their stuff in other ways.

Also, it opens up more cash flow to make up for the lower cash flow from the rank and file since the change to no longer "paying" up front for the publications but have to rely on donations.

The WTS has already sold the large Furman building, and several small properties in Brooklyn.

What is left?

The 4 factory buildings by Adams street (or is that 5) (FACTORY)

Bossert Hotel (RESIDENCE)

25 Columbia Heights buildings (OFFICE)

Sands building (RESIDENCE)

107, 124, ???? buildings (RESIDENCE)

Renovated Towers Hotel (RESIDENCE?)

I'm sure I have missed some.

Blondie

• Gayle
    Gayle

Blondie, check at: brooklyneagle.com

on the front page there is an article there

• blondie
    blondie

Yes, I did look at the article. They have sold the Furman bldg already and some smaller properties in the Brooklyn Heights area. I stayed in the Standish when it was being refurbished and the still let Bethelites book in friends to stay. I can see them selling it. It is at the end of Columbia Heights in a residential area. I can see it getting a pretty price.

Like I said it makes sense to be selling residence buildings since they are downsizing their workforce. They have moved the rest of the printing up to Wallkill along with the workforce associated with it.

It makes sense. I think ever since the WTS saw the WTC blazing away and falling they have wanted to move where it is "safe." Interestingly, the WTS bought property during WW2 for a similar purpose and ended up converting it to the first school of Gilead when the end did not come in the 1940's.

Blondie

• Arthur
    Arthur

The building that I had lived in ( 67 Livingston ) was recently sold as well. The selling price was significantly higher than I had anticipated. 67 Livingston was affectionately known as the "sliver building" because it was over twenty-stories high; yet it was only about 50 feet wide. It was an eye-sore on the outside, but it was actually a nice, comfortable building on the inside.

From what I remember; the Standish was also a nice building. If I am not mistaken, that is the building which had huge rooms which would house up to 5 or 6 single brothers. I remember going to a party in one of those rooms. They were actually quite nice. The Watchtower Society did indeed own some very nice buildings.

Maybe now, such nice buildings can be put to some good use.

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

http://brooklynheightsblog.com/archives/982

Watchtower to Sell Standish Arms

The Brooklyn Eagle reports today that the Watchtower will soon announce plans to sell the Standish Arms Hotel on Columbia Heights:

The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society —the Jehovah’s Witnesses — will be offering for sale the large property it owns at 169-171 Columbia Heights, formerly the Standish Arms Hotel, this newspaper has learned from several sources.

The Witnesses have owned this 12-story, 75-foot-wide building since 1988 and have used it for residential purposes for their personnel. A spokesperson for the Watchtower said he could make no comment right now, but added that there may be an official statement next week.

Neighborhood residents and business people reached by the Eagle were surprised at the specific news, but not about the divestiture in general. The Watchtower has been in the process of reorganizing its operations, transferring many of them to facilities in upstate New York.

Nevada-

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Patterson and Walkill are the New Brooklyn - just a matter of time and all or most of the Brooklyn facilities will be abandoned IMO.

Patterson allows them more control over everything - out in the country side and away from the city. I couldn't blame them really. The only thing that they might miss is the tourist business - Jw's will go whereever of course to see the Watchtower facilities - but NYC tourists will not.

The buildings in Brooklyn are a cash cow - I suspect they will cash those chips in over the next few years so that they don't look too anxious about it though.

Jeff

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

The buildings in Brooklyn are a cash cow - I suspect they will cash those chips in over the next few years so that they don't look too anxious about it though.

Jeff

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Damn, Danny, I wish I had thought of inserting that image.

How bout this one?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit