watchtower and awake??

by NoLongerAjw 16 Replies latest jw friends

• NoLongerAjw
    NoLongerAjw

is there any way to get a subscription to the magazines with out having to go to the hall?? i would like to see what kinda stuff is in them these days.. just for fun:) an elder came by a few months ago and i asked if i could have a subscription and he said yes he would fill one out when i came to the hall to make a donation.. uugghh no way i am going there.. can anyone help me??

• Stealth
    Stealth

I don't know if this would work, but you could write a letter and ask them for a sub to the W & G and mail it to the KH. Include a check for a donation. If they cash the check I would think they have to fill out the forms for the sub.

Or if you have any family or friends that would submit the forms for you, then they can get a placement.

Just an idea, don't know if it would work.

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

Threaten to report him as coercing money is against policy!

Or put an empty envelope in the con! tribution box

• MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hello Nolongerajw,

an interesting request.

In mho, the best suggestion...and it will work always is

from Stealth:

"Or if you have any family or friends that would
    submit the forms for you, then they can get a placement."

Or even take the extra copies and give them to
    you on a regular basis!

Greetings, J.C.MacHislopp

" One who has an accurate knowledge
    of God's Word will have no problem
    in refuting false religious ideas".

• Andee
    Andee

Hi Nolongerajw,

Actually, I had the same dilemma has you. I want the current issues of Awake and the WT without having to enter a KH or encounter a real live witness.

So, as circumstances would have it, I had to use the local laundry mat. What do I spy on the counter in between the rows of washing machines? Relatively current issues of The Watchtower and Awake! Of course, I didn't want anyone to actually see me swipe them off the counter, so I waited until no one seemed to be looking and quickly stuffed them into my purse.

Anyway, I'm sure this probably will not help you in anyway, but just thought I would pass my experience along.

I probably won't be going there again, however, I will always be tempted to stop and spy the counters for current Awakes and Watchtowers.

Andee

• wannahelp
    wannahelp

I thought I read somewhere on this board a few months back something about the fact that the WTBTS HAD to goto a donation based type system instead of charging like they used to for tax or some other purposes to keep the non-profit status or something like that..

Well, if you write a letter to the WTBTS asking for "free" subscriptions to their Awake and Watchtower magazines, and they are refused, wouldn't that kinda prove that they are not "free".. They require something, maybe an affiliation with their organization or a "donation"??

I dunno, not a legal guy.. But to me, free non-profit is free non-profit, and that sounds like a 'string' is attached...

• Sam Beli
    Sam Beli

Greetings,

Some years ago I wrote directly to the WTS to get my subscriptions renewed. They may have been a little more receptive then to such a maneuver, but it worked. I even got a letter in response with the usual stamped signature thanking me for my donation. I usually sent along $10.00 or so “to cover their expenses” in sending me the subscription.

I have not done this in ten years or more because I can not stomach reading them any longer, but I found their letter in response to my donation highly interesting. It proved to me that they were interested in money. I never got a letter thanking me for my years of service to them, neither my years of field service, the couple of times I tried pioneering, the many years I spent as a MS or the years I devoted to them as an elder. No, not one letter about any real contribution of time or effort, but I did get a couple of letters about a couple of ten dollar bills.

Amazing!

Sam Beli

I have seen all the works which have been done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and striving after wind. What is crooked cannot be straightened and what is lacking cannot be counted. Solomon

• NoLongerAjw
    NoLongerAjw

Thank you all for your suggestions.. i may try wriiting the society and see if i can get them that way.. and send my money of course!!lol..
    i wish i could just have some one get them for me. but i am lucky i have no family in the borg, they left when i did.. i will try and see what happens.. and let you all know..
    thank you

• JBean
    JBean

You could definitely write to the Watchtower, Bible & Tract Society... but don't send request to Brooklyn. Address it to Walkill, NY (don't know the zip). I don't remember a street address being necessary... the post office knows where they are! :)

• anglise
    anglise

Another way to get hold of WT and Awake mags is to scour your local hospital outpatient clinics. Faithful JWs who work at the Hospital will always leave a set of the latest mags for patients to read.

Choose a busy clinic morning, maybe with 3 or 4 clinics running simultaneously, then you can inconspicuously remove the mags from the table. When the faithful JW notices they have gone, they will replace them - well it helps out their backlog of mags AND their reporting for the month- can't be bad!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit