Logos

by Schism 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Schism
    Schism

I have figured out why I never log on anymore. Once I come in here and start chatting, I become addicted and can't get off. I end up spending 3 days straight in here and never getting anything done in my real life!!

So, that's a compliment... for y'all, not for me.

About my question: I am in need of some advice from you graphics-savvy ones here. I am in need of a business logo, and I have heard mixed feelings from people about buying a program and designing one myself. I already know what I want it to look like, but to get it from my mind and onto a computer screen is quite tricky. Any advice? I have the option of paying someone else to do it and not getting me what I want, or to make it myself.

I also plan to design my own website in the future, if that helps with the decision at all.

Let me know your thoughts :)

• daystar
    daystar

LOL!!

I thought we were going to be discussing the Logos!

I am having a similar problem with a tattoo I've been trying to design for myself. I've thought about having someone else put something together for me, but I want to invest as much of myself into it as I can. So... I'm practicing. I bought a sketchbook and some good pencils, a compass, protractor... I printed out some images I thought might help me with ideas and techniques and it's coming along quite nicely.

Now, when I've got it very close to how I want it, I may have a more experienced, talented, artist clean it up, etc. but I've committed to doing the majority of the work myself. And I'm sure I'll be much more satisfied with the results than I would be otherwise.

• Schism
    Schism

Yeah cool, you see? That's what I'm talking about! I want it to be my own. In fact, I did do a few prototypes on paper. I just can't materialize them onto a computer screen. I really need them to be of high quality too, because it says so much about a business.

Good luck with the tat!

• StillGroggy
    StillGroggy

Get a designer to do it. If you want to save money, call up your local college and get a design student to create one for cheap. Don't do it on your own, it will suck. no offense

• Schism
    Schism

Well, I know you didn't mean any offense by it. But believe it or not, I am a very artistic person and I would do a hell of a good job designing it. In fact, I have had a designer give me a few examples of their work and I was not impressed at all.

I'm not looking for someone to design it. I just need advice on how to get my ideas onto a computer. I have faith in myself, and nothing creative that I do ever sucks. I rock.

• daystar
    daystar

An artist friend of mine frequently scans in his sketch work when he wants to finish it in Corel. That way he can clean up the lines, add color, etc.

Sketch it, scan it, touch it up. That's what I'll be doing.

• Schism
    Schism

So you are recommending Corel?

It is actually going to be a very simple design. It just needs to be clean, and preferrably print-ready.

• daystar
    daystar

Corel? No, that is just what my friend likes to use. I'm more familiar with Paint Shop Pro and Photoshop. Paint Shop Pro is geared more towards touching up photos, but can be used for other purposes as well.

I found this with a quick google search - http://www.thelogocreator.com/, though I can't recommend since I've never used it. Then there is this - http://www.webgraphicscreator.com/. I'm just throwing things out here.

You can always scan in your sketch as a layer, create a new layer on top with the graphics tools so to make sure the lines are straight, etc., make sure it's print ready. I will have to do similar with my tat design.

• Schism
    Schism

Thanks for the links! I was checking out that first one earlier when I was browsing google for ideas. I was told that when you use a program, you come across lots of glitches, making it worthless. Is this true? With all the designers out there, throwing their web ads at you to buy their design, you'd think you could find what they were using to make them! Again, maybe that's the whole point, lol.

• daystar
    daystar

I'm asking a good friend of mine who does web design for a living what she would recommend for you. I'll let you know what she says, though I suspect it will be Photoshop.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit