Can a brother buy his way eldership ?

by KAYTEE 25 Replies latest jw friends

• undercover
    undercover

my take on people with money is that they have learned how to do things and how to get things done.they know how to play the game.

therefore they have worked out that generally in life people are taken more seriously if they are not beligerent or overly demanding and so go about their days with a quiet but confident manner.

such people are not necessarily any more genuine than someone of little means but looks are important.

From my experience it seemed that brothers who had successful secular careers and were financially secure, not rich, but comfortable showed a more confident look than many of the down trodden folks. From how they dressed to what they drove, they exuded a confident style not always seen in less privileged ones.

The other elders noticed it and acted accordingly.

There was usually a poor brother who knew more about the Bible, was well versed in JW doctrine and was loved by all but he couldn't be counted on to show up on time for service because of his broken down old jalopy or he had to deal with some other issue that other people would have hired to be done. Because of that stigma of being poor, he would be overlooked for a position while Brother Career would be picked to serve, not because of his knowledge or love of Jehovah, but because it appeared that he had his sh*t together and could be counted on to carry his share of the load.

• minimus
    minimus

Atlantis, how did you get this letter? How do WE know it's legit?? Not that I'm really doubting you.

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Hi Minimus! Thank you for asking Minimus!See pages 65-66 of Bill & Joan Cetnar's book, "Questions for Jehovah's Witnesses", for more references to Knorr accepting the cadillac as a bribe. Bill Cetnar was there and an eye witness. Bill was instructed by T. J. Sullivan, Service Department Director, to tell Anton Koerber that he could not even be a pioneer. The cadillac arrived shortly after and the next thing you known, Anton was being appointed Circuit Servant. Here is the front cover of the book. http://m1.freeshare.us/view/?129fs4275483.jpg Here is the introduction page. http://m1.freeshare.us/view/?129fs4276670.jpg Nevada-

• lilybird
    lilybird

yes. my father-in-law was an elder because he had money and flashed it around and donated a lot to the congregation, plus he was always driving the brothers around in his cadillac and then taking them out to lunch after!! When he died , his will left 100 thousand dollars to the Watchtower society before any of his family got a penny

• minimus
    minimus

Thanks Atlantis for that source. No wonder the Cetnars always seemed rabidly anti-jw!

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    my father-in-law was an elder because he had money and:
    flashed it around
    donated a lot to the congregation
    was always driving the brothers around in his cadillac
    taking them out to lunch after
    his will left 100 thousand dollars to the Watchtower society

They got what they paid for. He got a warm fuzzy feeling, they got his money.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit