What is love?

by onacruse 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• onacruse
    onacruse

"Love my enemies."

"Love those who love me."

"Love my family."

Just a few of the statements that I've seen on this db over the last week.

Is love truly agape? Is love just a measured form of philia?

Or (just as a hypothetical): Is love just an illusion?

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

i believe love is what you want it to be

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym

a feeling of warm personal attachment or deep affection, as for a parent, child, or friend.

• onacruse
    onacruse

Is love a measure of the person from which it emanates, or the object to which it is directed?

• aikichristian
    aikichristian

"What is love?"

Answer:

Link

• Pahpa
    Pahpa

"Love" in the English language covers a large territory. The Greeks qualified love by different words: Agape, eros, philia, storge, etc. It depended upon what kind of "love" was being described. Unfortunately, we don't have this differentiation in our language.

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

whatever it is - it gets far too much attention paid to it...

• DJK
    DJK

When we are touched inside by things, that make the heart move, beat harder and move up into the throat, then you know you have felt love.

Even if your eye's water or cry, it feel's too good and you never want to let it go.

• Odrade
    Odrade

I agree, I think "love" is an inadequate word used to describe a broad range of emotions and actions. Defining "love" in English is nearly impossible, since you have to set the stage so completely to even ask the question. I mean, we "love" these shoes, "love" our mate, "love" our children, "love" asparagus, "love" our neighbor... etc. All a completely different meaning.

When I first left the JWs I had a terrible time with the "agape" concept of love, but finally came to the conclusion that, for myself, this kind of love shows itself when you feel care and compassion for individuals you have never met. It shows in tears for strangers in tragedy, joy for strangers in abundance. This is a far cry from the type of "love" I feel for family.

It seems unfortunate that we only have the one word, and must come up with an entire story to explain what is meant.

• minimus
    minimus

Ona, since you're being so deep (again) lately, what's your answer to these questions?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit