....So do you believe ANY of the Bible is true?

by themonster123 12 Replies latest jw friends

• themonster123
    themonster123

I saw the movie "300" last night-I just got to thinking- because in that movie, Xerxes, the King of Persia is part of the story. And from my Bible reading in the past, I know Xerxes was mentioned.....and other historical people who WERE actual people....Stuff like Noah's ark is easily discredited, but do you think EVERYTHING in the Bible never happened or some did? Is it possible some stuff happened and some stuff didn't?

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

There are vast chunks of the bible that are historically and allegorically true. For those that read it which parts you believe and what truths are gleaned in large part determines what christian religion you are most likely to join (including the strong possibility of none).

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Stuff like Noah's ark is easily discredited, but do you think EVERYTHING in the Bible never happened or some did? Is it possible some stuff happened and some stuff didn't?

I don't know what I believe and don't about the bible. People will see what they want to see. So maybe it depends on our mood and attitude. You say stuff like Noah's ark is easily discredited, I take it thats what you want to see that it was impossible to get all the animals on the ark. But there is lots of information arguing contrary. Just google it. Noah didnt have to have big dinosaurs on the ark they could have been baby size that hatched from and egg. He didnt have to have every dog or every cat. Like I say, If you don't want to believe there is a plethora of evidence and if you want to believe there is a plethora of evidence. Below is some pro ark argumentation.

http://www.icr.org/article/402/

• gumb
    gumb

Well, as you mentioned the ark, I think that story its highly improbable. Just think of all that animal and human waste. Can you imagine the stench! :0(

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Sure.

But more importantly what is the overall affect on you when you read it? Does it inspire you to be more than you currently believe you are, and feed your spiritual curiosity?

IMHO the Bible is a question to your heart, an enigma; rather than a book of hard facts and an answer...

...the real answers lay within!

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

There may be some facts found in the Bible; however, presenting our true Source as a tribal deity, is not one of them.

j

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

It would be a bit silly to assume that Jerusalem was not conquered by the neo-Babylonian armies under Nebuchadnezzar just because the Bible say it was...

But, as LittleToe suggested, the historical parts, regardless of their accuracy (or lack thereof) may not be those that make the book most interesting or worhwhile to you.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Little Toe......

I like your response!

purps

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

THE BIBLE UNEARTHED...ARCHAEOLOGY'S NEW VISION OF ANCIENT ISRAEL AND THE ORIGIN OF ITS SACRED TEXTS. By Israel Finkelstein and Neil Asher Silberman. They argue that many of the most famous stories in the Bible reflect the world of the later authors rather than actual historial facts. However, they offer a fascinating and controversial perpective on when and why the Bible was written and why it possesses such great spiritual and emotional power today. So yes, I believe that much of the Bible is true.

Blueblades

• I Know what I like, and I like what I know
    I Know what I like, and I like what I know

I just don't know at the moment.

The red hot chili peppers: The more I see, the less I know.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit