District Convention(DC) typical of Temple Money Changers(TMC)

by bobld 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Gill
    Gill

(((((( anewme )))))) The sheer ignorance and selfishness of those arseholes expecting that you would have to look after everyone!!

• garybuss
    garybuss

The conventions are socials like the weekly meetings, but more important, they are entertainment. The begged for donations are the price of admission . . . sort of like a movie ticket, except at an assembly you get in free but you have to pay to get out.

• Atlantis
  • logic
    logic

THE "ASSEMBLYS" R THE BIGGEST RIPOFFS THE SOCIETY HAS. AND THE BIGGEST PAIN TO GO TO . YEARS AGO AFTER MY COMPLAINING ALL THE TIME, I TOLD MY WIFE , YOU KNOW WHY DONT YOU JUST GO WITH YOU MOTHER OR SOMEONE, I WILL STAY HOME AND WE CAN BOTH ENJOY OURSELVES . WORKED OUT GREAT. I KNOW THAT WIFE GOES JUST FOR THE SO CALLED FELLOWSHIP ANYWAY . ALL ASSEMBLYS ARE JUST SOCIAL . NOBODY GOS THERE TO LEARN. ANYBODY THAT SAYS THEY ENJOY THAT KIND OF TORTURE IS EITHER A SADOMASCOCHIST OR A LIER. IF EVERY SO CALLED JW WOULD JUST SEND THE SOCIETY THE MONEY IN LIEU OF GOING TO AN ASSEMBLY THEN THIS INSANITY WOULD STOP. POSTERS BEFORE ME , YOU ARE CORRECT. HOW CAN A PAID FOR ASSEMBLY HALL , NO FOOD , JUST GAS AND ELEC. COST SO MUCH . THEY NAIL YOU FOR THE COST, THEN DOUBLE IT SO THEY CAN GET THE SAME AMOUNT SENT TO HEADQUARTERS. MY GOD HOW MUCH RIPOFF CAN PEOPLE TOLERATE. A LOT...

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

To be clear, these DC are just for the money. They release a new book and brochure,
    and every JW in attendance is expected to want need that book and donate money for
    it. No JW can miss his DC or he is branded as ultra-weak.

In the Chicago area, they have everyone go out to the middle of nowhere instead of in
    the city or suburbs. Even those from the rural areas would like to go to a more urban
    setting. The hotels are far away for those that have to travel. No decent restaurants are
    in the area.

The food arrangement was very profitable back in the days. They had to stop that for
    tax purposes. The situation where JW's were going out at lunchtime gave them a great
    opportunity to slip out or come back late. While there is a money issue (get JW's to
    carry their lunch and spend less than they would at a restaurant- donate more) I think
    this food issue is more about control. That's similar to the latest strong orders that they
    don't change out of their Witness uniforms before going out to dinner. They want the
    faithful JW's to stay in mind-controlled mode of thought. The secondary issue on that is
    that they want local eateries to see the number of Witnesses eating dinner, remembering
    that they are a large group. Maybe that causes them to be more friendly toward the
    conventions. I still say it's the control, otherwise they would let them out at lunch.

• heathen
    heathen

Don't know why they even consider it a chance to associate when all you do all day is listen to talks ,then at break times you talk about the talks. From what I've read they chose select areas for low rates and freebees for the higher ups such as hotel rooms. It is a burden they put on the R&F since you will be counseled if you don't go to them . I think they just like to cause a big commotion at times and it's more or less a publicity stunt and gets it's members giving money . Like they couldn't save the money it costs them to go and make that the contibution.

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

Hey bobld, you have an interesting take on things. I look forward to your further posts on this subject.

• Gill
    Gill

Welcome Logic! I'm glad you've made your stand on not going to these enormous wastes of time and money! Well done!

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

It was interesting, but back in the 60's and 70's, the Witnesses actually prided themselves on not asking for donations from the platform; which they touted as showing how different they were from "Christendom's Churches." Of course, the obligatory donation box was back in the back, but it was pretty small and hidden. Now it seems that that is *all* they do. Very huge difference from the way it was 40 years ago. God's message is free for all who take, even now.

CG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit