wow, what a response!

by Matt_fs 41 Replies latest watchtower bible

• undercover
    undercover
    "Its really quite simple what I think about Deut.18:20-22. I don't. The hebrew scriptures describing aspects of the original Law convenent ended when the new convenent came into place by means of Christ's death.

So, because the orginal Law was replaced by the new covenant then it must be okay give false prophesies now?

• daystar
    daystar

This is how I personally would respond:

What else are you promoting Matt?

Mainly, simply, that one should continue to always ask questions, and should never be too afraid to do so.

Have you found an alternative to 'the truth'?

That question doesn't even make any sense. Truth is always relative, and perhaps doesn't even exist ultimately.

One that teaches us God's name and the importance of it? How about Christ's death and what it actually means? Or Jesus himself for that matter? The Kingdom? What happens when we die, why Jehovah God permits suffering... these undeniable CORE TRUTHS.

There are many, many religions that teach "God's name" and it's importance. Why don't you ask a Freemason what the name Jehovah means to him? The mystery of sacrifice and redemption is not solely owned by JWs or even Christiantity alone. Its meaning is universal. Many sects and religions teach what they think Jesus' life was like, who he was. What makes any one of them more correct than another? The Kingdom? Well, again, it means many different things to many different people. Yours is simply one opinion. What happens when we die? Again, only guesses ultimately. Not one of us will know until we do die, and maybe not even then. Why suffering? A question as old as mankind. Your answer is one of many possible ones.

"Undeniable CORE TRUTHS"? There is nothing in this wide universe that is undeniable ultimately.

I could go on, but really this person would hear none of it. Why waste your time?

• Mad
    Mad

I simply asked a friend of mine to explain to me Deut 20:20-22 and he wrote this:

Mad writes: Deut 20 ENDS at verse 20, Matt. Are you referring to the trees?

Your friend- as I do- focuses on the Good our Brotherhood does (never mentioned much on this board), and overlooking the faults- as he SHOULD! (The exception would be if there were evil; in the case of our understanding prophecy, it's sometimes sheer Stupidity...but NOT evil; most churches have even MORE ridiculous understandings of prophecy- I meet them all the time as I go door-to-door preaching!)

Even tho many on this board have had to suffer terrible (and some NOT so terrible) injustices- people will be people in any faith! Since Christ encouraged Christians NOT be be Lone Wolves- but to work together ("Where two or three are gathered in my name"), we all have to choose who we believe REAL Christians to be- you have, he has, I have! We will have to answer to our Lord if we're wrong- after all, he GAVE us the criteria!

Agape,

Mad

• forsharry
    forsharry

yeah, what they all said before me.

I just wanted to say that i broke out in a cold sweat when i read that response. It's simply chilling just how closely the response mirrored the ones I received when I questioned the cracks in the leaking dyke.

I would love to read your response back to your 'friend'...but I'm sure you know your ticket's been punched. :}

• Matt_fs
    Matt_fs

I will post what I will reply :D

• whereami
    whereami

Mad, please just get out if the closet!!!!

• Quandry
    Quandry

The Kingdom? What happens when we die, why Jehovah God permits suffering... these undeniable CORE TRUTHS.

The Kingdom?

It is ironic that the fact that many are having questions today is because of the CHANGES IN THE SO CALLED "CORE TRUTHS" such as the teaching that those who saw the events happening in 1914 would not pass off the scene before all things would come to pass. Then, they changed this "core truth" in 1995. Also, the "core truth" about blood transfusions seems to be changing as we speak.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Hey Matt,

It is obvious that your friend is an advanced student of the Bible.

While a beginner like yourself might take literally the statement that

16 All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be fully competent, completely equipped for every good work. 2 Tim 3:16, 17

Only a deeply dipped dub knows that Jehovah has filled the Bible with landmines and knows how not to even think about those forbidden scriptures.

Maybe if you ask him real nicely he'll let you know which scriptures a Christian ought not think about.

You are indeed lucky to have a friend such as he.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

hey matt. sounds like your friend is in deep.

i'll giver 'er a whirl:

Are you worshiping Jehovah with your whole heart, soul and mind?

no.

Are you striving to live your life by His standards?

no.

I know a group of people that collectively do that.

heh, sucks to be you.

-------

(you can use any of my ideas if you like ;)

tetra

• AllAlongTheWatchtower
    AllAlongTheWatchtower

I simply asked a friend of mine to explain to me Deut 20:20-22 and he wrote this:

"Its really quite simple what I think about Deut.18:20-22. I don't. The hebrew scriptures describing aspects of the original Law convenent ended when the new convenent came into place by means of Christ's death."

...im going to be replying to him, anyone have some good comments i can make? or some real hard hitting questions?

-Matt_fs

I assume you actually meant 18:20-22, the part about false prophets? Cause arguing with a JW about why the OT god instructed Israel to not cut down certain trees seems a bit pointless...

As to questions/comments you can make to him...I am, and have been an atheist for many years...yet I used to be a whole hearted believer, and certain groups of christianity used to annoy me by how they simply dismissed the old testament. I would ask your friend if the OT law was done away with, then what of the ten commandments? What of the blood policy? Why pick and choose, if you're going to accept some of it, why not all of it, and start following the tenet of clean and unclean meats? Or the keeping of the (Saturday) sabbath? This picking and choosing of what parts of the bible to follow was a major contributing factor as to why I became atheist, so many groups out there who were happy to tell me how to live (their version), yet I soon realized, they were dipping from the scriptures where it was convenient for them, and ignoring them where it was not. The JWs are an even worse example of this, they've printed their own version of the bible, complete with new mistranslations and adaptations, made to order.

Sorry to digress a bit...didn't realize after all these years that this issue could get under my skin. Done ranting. Anyway, since the atheist view is highly unlikely to help your friend, here is a link you might like, which you can use to show that the OT law was alive and well in the NT:

http://www.moseshand.com/questions/p24a.htm

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit