Introduction

by White Dove 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Thank you for sharing your story with us. I took sign language classes at a kingdom hall in Ohio, and was very good at sign english, just not ASL.. Im surprised that they werent more accomodating for you. I was born and raised a JW and left (unbaptized) at age 23 in 1993. I probably remember about 500 signs still, I just dont have much opportunity to use them.

• Dagney
    Dagney

Welcome (((((((Chenoa)))))))

Thank you for sharing your story.

• White Dove
    White Dove

Oh yeah, and the only one who came to see me on her own volition was the interpreter who was never there or late all of the time. She comes if the DO and CO visit to invite me to their talks and memorial. She does like the attention she gets by sitting up in front of everyone. I do appreciate her interpreting for me. The thing is that no elders or "leaders" came at all in the last 4 years (all the time I've known them). No shepherding calls, nothing despite being asked repeatedly. Another sister came when I invited her for lunch, but only then. I tried to visit others to make up for not "gathering" myself together at the hall, but I don't have a phone. When I went to their doors to say hi, they asked me, "Hi, what do you need?" That happened every time. I tried to plan to get together with them at another time for lunch or dinner and could never pin them down, not one time. I understand that people are busy, but just try and act on the assumption that we have a huge spiritual family ready and willing to associate and build one another up. It is completely fake and all talk in so many congregations. But, I now have tons of people in my circle of friends and acquaintances, and we get together at least once a month, though not as a group. They are from a variety of religions or none at all. What a breath of fresh air!

Sorry, I did not mean to whine and moan, but you kind of asked for it, hahaha!

Chenoa:)

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Hi White Dove,

As a sociologist-in-training, you might find a browse through the 1952 (if I recall) book, "The Jehovah's Witnesses" by Professor of Sociology H. H. Stroup to be an interesting diversion sometime. Stroup went "undercover" in a JW congregation on Long Island, NY to develop his thesis.

The book is long out of print, but *might* be available in your school library or through interlibrary loan.

There are other sociological studies of the Dubs more easily available. Let me know if you'd like some links, etc.

• White Dove
    White Dove

Yeah, He did seem to answer. It's so weird, though! I was praying for relief and to be afforded the opportunity to be the best witness that I could be and he seemed to say that in order to do that, I needed to get out of there. I was expecting to be answered in the JW way. I am so much happier now. I thought that I would get attacked by demons in one way or another, either by things flying around my house (JWs are so superstitious!), nightmares, or the loss in desire to worship JH. Well, I did lose the desire to be at the KH but not the desire to worship the creator of all of the stuff we see around us. Someone made it all. I feel like a baby learning everything brand new. Right now, I only know the Lord in name, Jesus. The deeper essence will come in time, I hope. I want to believe again. I love the idea that we are not all alone on this itty-bitty planet by our lonesomes and that this life is only the beginning:) I'm not trying to get preachy, just reflecting. I don't want to offend anyone here. Sometimes I feel like a Christian and other times I feel like a pagan (earth focused and nature loving). Trying to find a new ID. I am beginning to feel that elusive spiritual freedom that JWs never can honestly know.

Chenoa

• greendawn
    greendawn

Welcome to the forum White Dove, the image of God as presented by the JWs is a false one, God is love and very much unlike the severe, vengeful and hot tempered person they portray.

• free2think
    free2think

Welcome to jwd Whit Dove, great alias btw..

• White Dove
    White Dove

Yes, that is what kept popping up in my mind when thinking of all the rules and regulations that seem to go too far: A loving God would not do these things or care about minute things like the Pharisees did. Sometimes, I do have a hard time believing in anything because the JWs were all I ever knew and everything and everyone else was of the Devil. Once my faith was squished down to nothing, I had no faith whatsoever. Is it possible to get it back? I've been visiting a very vibrant church where people are free to express their faith in the most joyful of ways. It is soooo much fun! There is so much music (I don't hear it right, but I sure do see it in the people!) and movement. This is what I imagine God to be like: joyful, not sitting in a chair bored from an anti-typical typed 3 and 4 and ten fold sheepfold WT questions. Where do they get that stuff???? The vocabulary doesn't even exist outside the hall walls. Now, I'm laughing!:):):)

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Hello WhiteDove, my oldest daughter was proficient at PSL. One of the twins (witness) is taking ASL and she wants to be a linquist. My oldest NEVER wanted to be a witness, but the twins did and are baptized and pioneering. No one in my home is deaf or hard of hearing. I guess that I should take sign language just in case my other vocal cord gets paralyzed. I get a reminder about smoking everytime that I go to see my pulmonologist or ENT.

Anyway, welcome to the group!

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Hi White Dove, and welcome to the board! Thanks for sharing your experience.

W

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit