What movie or TV show would U recommend 2 break thru cognitive dissonance?

by Open mind 26 Replies latest social entertainment

• Open mind
    Open mind

Talk about "food at the proper time"!! I was just perusing this forum and stumbled across a post by Abandoned called "The Joy of Sect". It's a Simpson's episode where Homer joins a cult. My family does Netflix bigtime and I'd say "worldly entertainment" is our Achilles heel that, thanks to Abandoned's post, I'm planning on exploiting more consciously. I'm going to get some Simpsons DVDs and see if I can hook the family in with some really good episodes and then slip in "The Joy of Sect".

Any and all recommendations would be greatly appreciated with one caveat: We're not ready for the "R-rated" category. Although I suppose if it's really, really good, I could try recording it off broadcast TV. I did convince my wife to watch "Saving Private Ryan" when it was broadcast uncut, but so far, that's the only unedited "R" rated movie we've watched together. Isn't it amazing how grown adults can be made to feel like they're an underage kid sneaking in to a "bad" movie?

Thanks again to Abandoned!

Open Mind

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

Wait until you and your wife come to the X-rated realm. :-)To answer your question: I like The Matrix very much,

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

The Village - hands down. Very entertaining, absorbing and at the same time, very on-point for witnesses.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Logans Run made me think.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

The Island

• sandy
    sandy

The Truman Show starring Jim Carey

• choosing life
    choosing life

My top three picks were already mentioned. I really liked both The Village and The Island, but let me warn you that a Witness may not "get it".

1984 by George Orwell applies, but I don't know if there is a movie. The book was great!

• truthsearcher
    truthsearcher

Hey there:

What about Logan's Run (sci-fi from the '70's, one brief scene of nudity with the main character having to change wet clothes) which could provide an interesting discussion on mind control and beliefs about the world "outside". Google search this site for more info on that.

National Tresure showed masonic imagery--you could tie in Russell's early WT symbols (use the photos in the Proclaimers book)

What about stuff on the Mormons or other cults? There is a scene in the movie Bee Season with the son of the family being recruited by the Moonies. (I found the movie to be disturbing in other ways).

Talk about cults, and how they control people, don't let them think outside the box. There was a film recently on tv about polygamous Mormon sects and people trying to escape. I think there is a tv series about a guy with a couple wives, but haven't seen it.

TS

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    Wait until you and your wife come to the X-rated realm

That'll straighten 'em out right quick.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    We're not ready for the "R-rated" category.

R-rating lacks meaning. A capricious board not unlike the GB determines what movies get what rating. A documentary expose' This film has not yet been rated will enlighten you further.

Regards to you & your wife,

Nvr

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit