building commitee

by logic 19 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• bluebell
    bluebell

My father made a right fuss when we were saving up for a hall and demanded a conventional build or a refurb of a bought building because he said that qb's were expensive and shoddy. He stuck to his guns and in the end the cong ended up with a nice hall that the building committee didn't like and they did. Most of the work was done by the cong itself, they were lucky cos they had quite a few tradesmen and links to tradesmen. I think that some were paid or had expenses paid but not much. There was alot of falling out and ruffled feathers but mostly it was ok.

• logic
    logic

UP UNTILL A FEW YEARS AGO I VOLUNTEERED UNTILL I DISCOVERED WHAT WAS GOING ON. I GOT TIRED OF HAVING MORE CHIEFS ON THE JOB THAN INDIANS, AND THE FACT I WAS WORKING FREE WHICH OF COURSE HELPED THE CONTRACTORS MAKE MORE MONEY.

HOW WOULD YOU LIKE A BUISNESS WHERE YOU GET LABORERS FOR FREE.

IF YOUR AVERAGE JW KNEW WHAT WAS GOING ON , THERE WOULD BE NO VOLUNTEERS.

I DID MY OWN INSPECTION ON KH , REPAIRS, WHICH WAS MINOR AMOUNTED TO A FEW HUNDERED DOLLARS PLUS A GOOD PAINT JOB. IT HAS TURNED INTO A MAJOR GUT AND REMODEL, AND THE FUNNY THING IS NO ONE LIKES THE WORK THAT HAS BEEN DONE.

ALL DECISIONS ARE MADE BY SOCIETY ON EVERYTHING INCLUDING YOUR LIFE. ALL THEIR TRUE COLORS ARE COMMING OUT.

• TopHat
    TopHat

HOW WOULD YOU LIKE A BUISNESS WHERE YOU GET LABORERS FOR FREE.

Logic? Do the contractors get paid for the free labor?

• Cellist
    Cellist

The contractors get paid to do the job and take advantage of the free labour to accomplish the job.

Cellist

• geevee
    geevee

We did a Qb hall. We had one paid contractor who helped us with the ground plumbing. His wife at the time was studying. We didnt have any locals who could do the work and this guy kept his rate low.
    The RBC did charge a fee for their services.
    Later we had one of them move into our local cong. He was always moving receipts through the congregation account. He would get re-immbursed and the cong the claimed it back from the society somehow. [perhaps others know who and why?]
    I saw some of the receipts he was claiming. Some for his dry cleaning and other things that most would just wear the cost themselves. It all seemed a bit suspect!

• undercover
    undercover

I knew a brother who was contracted to some of the off-site millwork construction...the literature and magazine counters, sound system cabinet, contribution boxes and stands, etc, etc.

He was paid for his product as if he was any other contractor. However, he used free labor of the brothers and sisters from the hall. He played up how they would be part of the building project and they all thought that they were. Actually, in reality, they were contributing to his getting a bigger profit for the product that he was hired to produce.

I quit helping when I found out that he was getting paid and that I was nothing more than free labor for his for profit venture.

As a counterpoint, I guess it could be said that he was "allowing" the friends to be part of the project, in that many of them were not skilled woodworkers and in actuality, they could cause problems that he normally would not have to deal with, if he were to do it with only hired, skilled help. It didn't stop me from feeling that I was being taken advantage of however.

• rosiegurl
    rosiegurl

My dad was a contractor for well over 30 years. He was asked to serve on the building committee at one point. I remember him coming home all heated at some of the the brothers in the group because they were disregarding code and city/county regulations to cut corners. He came home that way several times from the meetings they had before finally just resigning from the committee. I can't give you details or specifics, but I was old enough to know that he was trying to do right and they were all arguing against him about it. It made him very upset that brothers would be trying to break city and county building laws ... oh and um...btw..hiya =)..new to the forums name's rosie...I'll post my story sometime for ya'll ;p

• Gill
    Gill

Welcome Rosiegurl!!!! Hope you like it here!!

Can I get this straight then?! Are the building committee paid or is the society paid through the building committee?

So the only people working for free are the volunteers in the cong? The electricians, plumbers, builders etc are they all getting paid or have I misunderstood. because this is a totally new one to me!!

• rosiegurl
    rosiegurl

I'm positive that the building committee is not paid...other than that I don't really know....as far as I always knew it was mostly just volunteer....but lately I've been wondering if maybe what I've known is wrong >.<....anyway I'm sure my dad didn't get paid to be on the building committee....sry I can't really help you further.

• carla
    carla

Why so much building and redecorating if the end is near? Didn't any of you ever wonder that?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit