For Women Only

by journey-on 13 Replies latest jw friends

• journey-on
    journey-on

Hah! You guys couldn't resist, uh?....... But, really ladies, did the women's lib movement in the 70's (and later for you younger ones) affect your attitude toward the JW admonition to be in subjection to your husband? I first started thinking about this policy when I got hold of a Ms. Magazine and read an article by Barbara Grizutti Harrison about her life as a Bethelite. It blew my mind and changed me forever. Do any of you remember her book, Visions of Glory about her life as a JW and how she came to leave it? That book also influenced me a great deal. It was the beginning of the end for me because it gave me courage to stand up for myself and respect my own opinions however invalid they may have been to an elder or even my JW husband at that time.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Wow, I didn't know she wrote a piece for Ms. I would love to get a ref.

• Twitch
    Twitch
    Hah! You guys couldn't resist, uh?.......

• journey-on
    journey-on

I've still got that mag in a box somewhere. I saved it just for posterity simply because reading it was a turning point in my attitude. We weren't really supposed to be reading such liberal magazines, but every now and then, I'd sneak one. I guess I kind of looked at finding it as a "sign" for me or something.

• restrangled
    restrangled

The book that influenced me the most was the Women's Room by Marylin French.....I have loaned out many copies to friends both male and female. I have read it probably 7 or 8 times since it was published.

It gives the perspective of the 1950's house wife through the 70's......although it has received some bitter reviews in this time period, back then it was a sort of Bible for breaking out of the 50's mentality view of women.

An excellent read.

r.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

OK I confess, I read this

• SirNose586
    SirNose586
    Hah! You guys couldn't resist, uh?.......

Hey, it could've been a "post pictures of yourself in a bikini" contest! I'm not gonna miss out on that.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I have only questioned the authority/headship issue recently in any way that I could admit to myself. This is taught by all mainstream/fundamental religions to some extent, and as I accepted the Bible, I accepted it. Period. I'm not sure what made me really question it. . .but seeing some of the things that men do to women that we accepted societally for so long that are no longer accepted. Reading the bible. . .REALLY made me think-who is this God that created us and thinks so little of us that abuse, neglect, abandonment, rape, kidnapping, etc are acceptable - even demanded by God? Why does God, who supposedly loves all of humanity think that women are not as good as men? Why is God making rules that put us down when we give birth to girls or have periods? Why is god such a chauvinist? Why does he hate women? Did God write the Bible? DId men? Did men create God. . .well, you can see, it all opened quite a can of worms. . . And a lot of other questions about God.

• journey-on
    journey-on

These are great questions. I've wondered about this so many times. Why did the OT god, Jehovah, demean women so much? I've often wondered why Dinah was left out and the 12 sons of Israel were honored.....why He allowed the men to have concubines in addition to their wives.....why was Lot willing to give those men his daughters rather than allow the visiting men to be violated.

Jesus was loving and respectful to women. He seemed to appreciate them rather than demean them. Why the dichotomy?

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

That's why when God created man, she was only joking!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit