New Light on Lions Eating Straw ! ? !

by Open mind 39 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Open mind
    Open mind

Hello,

Newbie poster here looking for advice.

I've been looking for posts on the Borg moving away from a literal understanding of Isaiah 65:25 and couldn't find any. I posted in the Private Support Members Only area with a much longer post and it's been pretty much ignored. (Except for one response from Mystla, Thanks!!! ) The post title was "Need Help w/kids on this: No More Veggie Burgers for the Lions" Has this been hashed out before?

Did I post it in a inappropriate area? Was it just a dumb sounding title? By even asking this here am I violating the "anti-spamming" guideline? If so, I apologize in advance.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Open Mind

• Inquisitor
    Inquisitor

Hello and welcome!

May I ask what gave you the impression that the Watchtower Society has stepped away from the literal interpretation of the Lion and straw prophecy? As far as I'm aware, they haven't. But I could be wrong.

INQ

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

I haven't personally heard any new light regarding this. It's long overdue. Whoever decided to take this scripture literally is a complete moron.

1) if all the animals start eating grass, there will be a HUGE competition for plant foods
    2) animal's entire digestive systems will need to be changed including jaw structure
    3) animals aren't immortal so bodies will just be left to rot without scavengers
    4) without population control, animals with high reproductive rates will soon overwhelm the planet.
    5) what about marine life? Are sharks going to eat kelp?

Essentially animals will no longer factor into the ecosystem and will merely exist for the sake of human enjoyment. So what about animals that are ugly or serve no practical purpose, will they be destroyed?

People marvel with how balanced the earth is and claim that it is proof of a creator, then take one line of a scripture and are prepared to toss that whole thought out.

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

Paralipomenon,

Here, here!

My thoughts exactly.

BA- beat me to it.

• blondie
    blondie

Other religions focus on that Isaiah 65:25 is talking about a spiritual, heavenly paradise. The WTS has argued in the past that it has to be real since when will a lion ever be in heaven. Here is a quote from just seven years ago showing that they still believe in a literal, earthly fulfillment.

*** w00 4/15 p. 17 The New World—Will You Be There? ***

While you are thinking about what you may enjoy in the new world, picture the scene that God’s prophetic word sets out: "‘The wolf and the lamb themselves will feed as one, and the lion will eat straw just like the bull; and as for the serpent, his food will be dust. They will do no harm nor cause any ruin in all my holy mountain,’ Jehovah has said." (Isaiah 65:25) Human artists have tried to paint that scene, but this is no mere word picture produced with artistic license. This will be real. Peace will prevail among humans and will be matched by peace with the animals

*** w59 8/15 p. 498 Be Ready Always to Make a Defense ***

Often people object when you are describing the peaceful and righteous conditions of the new earth, saying that paradise is in heaven and there will never be such conditions here on earth. How can you convince such people that your hope for a paradise earth is sound Bible teaching? For instance, you can illustrate it with Isaiah 65:21, 22, where it states about the new earth that they will build houses and inhabit them, they will plant vineyards and eat the fruit thereof. Isaiah is surely not speaking here of a building and planting program in heaven; he is describing peaceful and righteous conditions here on earth. Furthermore, verse 25 says: "The wolf and the lamb themselves will feed as one, and the lion will eat straw just like the bull." This prophecy can apply only to the earth. No one would want to maintain that one day lions will eat straw in heaven.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Did I post it in a inappropriate area? Was it just a dumb sounding title? By even asking this here
    am I violating the "anti-spamming" guideline? If so, I apologize in advance.

You posted fine. I remember not answering that thread. Who knows why others didn't
    answer you. I think it's because they already welcomed you in your initial post and they
    hadn't heard anything new about animals in the new system, and another thread got onto
    the subject when it ran days before yours, I forget exactly what.

Just bump your own thread to the top once in a while if you don't get an answer. Thank the
    one or two posters and comment on what they said.

No need to apologize. Post on.

• Inquisitor
    Inquisitor
    what about marine life? Are sharks going to eat kelp? - para

Well thought out arguments, para!

But you know what sucks? Scientific observations are not gonna cut it with Juggernaut Jah. If the animals should disobey the Thunderous One, they might be:

i) kicked out of Paradise and be cursed to roam on another planet until Jesus packs his bags for another missionary + martyrdom trip.

ii) drowned in a global deluge again (stuff the rainbow. who said Jah has to play by His own rules?) as the carnivores kick and claw at an ark-load of self righteous humans and cud-chewing cuddlies

iii) turned into a cubes of salt for staring too long at plump Bambi

So it don't matter if their jaws or teeth or bones are not adapted to eat straw. If Jah tells you to eat straw you had better do so, or He will mess you real good. No wonder the demons shudder.

INQ

• M.J.
    M.J.

Parali...

You just don't get it. Jehovah will somehow work it all out!

What is more questionable to me is the stance that before the fall, animals were all vegetarian, in light of the Society's position that creation days represented creation eras...Thus there were no carnivores among pre-human animals. Yeah right.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Jehovah is MAGIC, man! He can do whatever he wants: he's like David Blaine, only invisible.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Para, nice reasoning, I'm going to save it for future reference.

So it don't matter if their jaws or teeth or bones are not adapted to eat straw. If Jah tells you to eat straw you had better do so, or He will mess you real good. No wonder the demons shudder.

INQ

Lolz.

Well, I guess this is what happens when you base doctrine on poetic language of a distant and ancient culture. (See Proverbs' "New Light," and Psalms' "The righteous will inherit the earth").

You know folks, I feel comforted already that Jehober's ready to wave his magic wand and make all these changes in the planetary ecosystem, just to support a publishing company's interpretation of scripture. Praise Jah, the Universal Magician!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit