Horror of horrors.....

by Tatiana 34 Replies latest jw friends

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

I know that while being a witness, we were not really allowed to watch horror movies, or anything that smacked of demonism. Anything supernatural.

My question is, what movie or movies, since leaving the society, has really scared or upset you? To the point where you feel seriously disturbed? Even a particular scene that really got to you. That made you say to yourself, "This is why it was forbidden."

I know of one movie, called "Possession", starring Sam Neil, that made me have nightmares. One scene particularly, where his wife was making love to a demon, had me disturbed for days.

I would have posted this on the "movie" forum, but it hasn't had a post since 9-10. This is really important to me, as I am writing an article concerning "supernatural" movies. And the effect they have.

I would really appreciate your input.

April

"Love never dies." Voivodul Vlad Draculea (from Bram Stoker's Dracula-1992)

• Francois
    Francois

The movies that have had the most effect on me have been the "Alien" movies. Why? Because the universe is sufficiently complex and evolution is so full of peculiar twists and turns, that such a beast is at least possible - no matter how improbable.

Since I don't believe in deeminz, I find those movies pretty boring.

Francois

• Julie
    Julie

Though horror movies aren't my thing I still think the Excorsist is one scary movie!

Hiding under blanket--
    Julie

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

Julie, I agree. Although now it seems tame, I sneaked and saw this when I had just gotten married. I was so scared at night. I sat up listening to every sound in the house, waiting for my husband to come home from graveyard shift. I started reading my Bible every night. I couldn't wait to go back to the KH.

Is there anything specific that really scared you? I need a little more detail. Certain scenes that won't leave your mind. No matter how hard you try to get rid of them.

Francois, I have the entire Alien collection. I agree, evolution might create such a perfect creature. Why don't you believe in demons?

April

• Teirce
    Teirce

Witnesses are required to stay away from demonic overtones so that they can maintain their superstition of them. Ie, Fear is ignorance. Let Witnesses start watching horror films, and pretty soon you'll have Witnesses who aren't giving a fuck for the WTS' cheap scares because they know demons aren't real, but are shadows of the psyche. Just like anything else with the WTS - a little knowledge is dangerous.

• Teirce
    Teirce

oops, sorry - to answer your question... Jacob's Ladder, Event Horizon, Fire In the Sky, Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Donald Sutherland), Twilight Zone, X-Files. The more understated, like in The Shining, the better.

• lauralisa
    lauralisa

tatiana... omg... I saw the movie "The Exorcist" when I was like 14 years old. I cut school with a friend and we went into philadelphia on the train to see it. I couldn't sleep for weeks. I made my little brother (he was seven, like he could've done anything, but hey) sleep in the other twin bed in my room, with all of the lights on, for a month.

To answer your question: this movie scared the piss out of me. It still would, if I saw it again. Something - anything - with the kind of power to take over your mind and body - scares me. I think my fear of demons had a lot to do with my getting intrigued with JW's. Ick.......

lauralisa

It's only water from a stranger's tear (Peter Gabriel)

• JanH
    JanH

Seven. It did not scare me, in a sense it impressed me. But the extremely evil ending did disturb me, because it was such a well-calculated emotional attack on the audience (at the time of watching it, I called it an "emotional rape" but that is obviously inappropriate).

That said, it was a brilliant movie with a good story and brilliant acting.

- Jan
    --
    "Doctor how can you diagnose someone with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and then act like I had some choice about barging in here right now?" -- As Good As It Gets

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

Teirce, Event Horizon..definitely scary. So was Jacob's Ladder, although in the end, had nothing to do with anything supernatural.

Understated, like Invasion of the Body-Snatchers, is not what I'm looking for. Specific scenes. I remember when I went to see Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. One scene made my stomach hurt. I still can't watch it. The scene where the priest reached inside the worshiper's chest and pulled his still beating heart out. I get sick to my stomach when I see this scene. Somehow it got to a deep part of me that was terrified of false worship; false Gods; powers I will never understand.

This is what I'm writing about. Movies or scenes that go beyond the mundane. Things that changed your perspective. Your views.

April

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

JanH. I agree. Seven was very disturbing. The ending was an "emotional rape". I have that movie, and every time I watch it, I get a new understanding of the nature of evil. In ourselves, and from supernatural sources.

April

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit