This Bull Terrier had a rough day!!!!! Bet he leaves porcupines alone now!!

by AK - Jeff 17 Replies latest social entertainment

• kitten whiskers
    kitten whiskers

This is my first picture post. I see it doesn't enlarge when clicked on. If you want to see this larger, go to google images and type in "babies porcupine". It is an amazing picture.

Kitten Whiskers

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

Oh, here's Roscoe! Hey, buddy! Looks like you made a new pin-pal! And this is my dog Roscoe... careful, he's got a really prickly temperament.Kirk Lowry

Honey, why is there a dog coming out of that porcupine?Cory Prior

I got the point.Ron Wells

... and Pit Bulls get all of the bad press.L.B. Scott

Why you should never try acupuncture on your dog without a veterinarian present. New! Improved! Self agitating scouring pad!Melissa Miller

After a night out on the tequilla, Spike couldn't pinpoint when this happened...Leon Beatham Moore

Making a statement: Next time eat a shoe.Linda Newman

The cat told me curiosity never hurt anyone.
    Now ask me how many lives he will have left after I find him!
    Ron McCoy

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

hey, Birthday Bro! i grew up in the rurals of upstate New York...........below my grandma's home was a wonderful old farm..............the owner's name was Isadore Cruickshank, and he was a fascinating man..........at some point, he became quite famous and many people sent him books, as well as statues of horses............isadore once told me that one of his brothers rode with Will Rogers...........i was just a young 13 year old...........and crazy about horses of every size, color and type.............i had wonderfully free days of riding as far and as wide as i wanted to.............sometimes a group of us would take a ride into a lake deep in the woods.........i realized some time ago that rather than being so very underprivileged as a child, i had experienced many other fascinating experiences in my life............anyways, sorry about the bit of maudline..........Isadore had a group of dogs ranging about the farm......there were approximately 40, give or take a few........and most of them were of the beautiful black and tan airdale breed.............but, every once in awhile, one of them would tangle with a porcupine and i remember isadore, and one of his farm hands taking a pair of pliers and manually pulling the spines out............excrutiatingly painful..........and bloody.........poor dogs.........

• BrentR
    BrentR

Thiose are baby hedgehogs.

Here is a porcupine. They both fall into the "A face only a mother could love" category.

alt

• ButtLight
    ButtLight

We took my boyfriends, daughters, dog to the cabin. She is a rot.....but very friendly. Well, she got into a dead pork, and came back (not as bad as that thank god!) Ever try to pull needles out of a rots throat and tongue? I wont do that again lmao. She wasnt so friendly anymore!

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Oi Vey, Buttlight.

Not a fun afternoon I suspect.

Jeff

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

These same pics were posted on here a few years ago, and they led to a huge argument on the pros and cons of bull terriers.

That photo is enough to make you ill!

S4

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

http://www.thepetcenter.com/gen/pq.html

Oh No! Porky Quills! by T. J. Dunn, Jr. DVM How to remove porcupine quills from a dog. What to do when an encounter takes place.

If you ever see a dog with a face full of porcupine quills it is truly something you'll never forget... and neither does the dog! Well, most dogs. A few years ago I saw the same dog three Saturdays in a row to remove porcupine quills. He must have found a good feeding area for porkies and thought he could get even with them somehow. He learned the hard way.

Removing porcupine quills from a dog can be as simple as gripping a quill with your thumb and finger and pulling. On the other hand it just may be a long drawn out affair under anesthesia in the veterinarian's office. I recall many late night emergency calls with the frantic voice on the line wondering how long it would take me to get to the clinic to help a distressed dog with a mouthful of porcupine quills.

Porcupine quills do not have barbs at their ends, and only rarely will actually migrate through the dog's tissues. The points of the quills are extremely sharp and stiff and under the microscope actually appear as if they have scales or

A porcupine eats bark and
    other vegetable matter...
    but does NOT shoot its quills.

Sure hope the Doctor is in!

A gentle and easy-going
    creature, the porcupine seeks
    safety in trees when threatened.

Removing porky quills from a dog...

Click on each image to see a larger version in a new window.
    The patient is maintained on gas anesthesia and a careful exam is made.This photo was made over an hour in to the procedure.The quill is gripped as close to the skin as possible. A second forceps just above the first one will grip even better.
    The little white rectangle above the teeth is the close up area in the photo to the rightThe quills do not have to be cut or clipped to "let the air out". They are not under pressure from the hollow area within.Porcupine quills in the tongue!

Home Removal of Porky Quills:
    If your dog only has a few quills and you are certain that there are none in the mouth or throat, you can remove quills at home fairly easily. The first thing to do is to get a pair of pliers, then something to cover the dog's eyes so it doesn't see those pliers approaching. Cover the dogs eyes with your hand if necessary, speak softly and don't act frantic or you will freak your dog out even worse! With the dog's eyes covered, bring the pliers up to a quill and grab the quill firmly and close to the skin. The dog will jerk backward and will separate himself from the quill. Sometimes you can grab more than one quill at a time, too. If the dog will be cooperative, coax it to accept your next attempt at removing more quills and eventually you may be able to remove a number of them. You may have to give the dog a break for a few minutes, too, between rounds of quill pulling.

Remember, if there are a large number of quills or if there are a number deep in the mouth, your dog deserves the benefits of anesthesia at the veterinarian's office. If there are only a few, you can certainly try removal at home.

Porcupines are quiet, amusing little creatures who simply want to be left alone. They do not shoot or eject their quills but will swipe their tails swiftly and leave a bunch of needle like quills in whatever the tail happens to touch. When threatened tiny erector muscles in the skin will make the hundreds of quills over the back "stand up" in defense. Any dog, coyote or wolf that dives in thinking an easy meal awaits makes a startling discovery! If the eyes or throat are affected by the quills, the canine is in real trouble. Left untreated, as happens in the wild, the quills will eventually create festering and oozing and eventually the quill may be rubbed or scratched out. The danger to the victim, though, is very real.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit