How Long Did It Take You To Snap Out Of Watchtower Think?

by The wanderer 27 Replies latest jw friends

• The wanderer
    The wanderer

How Long Did It Take You To Snap Out Of Watchtower Think?

It took me better than a year to let go of Watchtower think. The teachings held on to me
    more so than the emotions and I did not have family in the organization to tie me down.

Disconnecting Yourself From Watchtower Think

• When you first discovered what the Society was behind the scenes how long did it
      take you to stop thinking like a Jehovah’s Witness?

• Did you still hold on to the teachings that you were taught despite
      finding out what the Society was all about?

• Emotionally, how long did it take you to disconnect in order to feel comfortable?

Respectfully,

The Wanderer

• knock knock
    knock knock

I still have mild relapses now and again but they are few and far between. It did however take some five or six years to "feel comfortable" in my non-jwishness.

• Bryan
    Bryan

Took 5 years to get the little Watchtower devil off my shoulder.

Bryan

• Undecided
    Undecided

About 20 years. I would attend the memorial each year but wouldn't brother with other meetings. I would take some of the literature when my aunt would come by but never read it. CofC cleared my mind after reading about it on the forum before JWD was created.

Ken P.

• greendawn
    greendawn

About six years to clear up most of the issues but some remaining points were not cleared up until the internet came out, it was in 1995 that I connected. Had the internet been out in the 1980's it would have speeded up the process tremendously perhaps to months or a couple of years. Up to 1995 I wasn't quite sure whether the GB were genuine or a fraud. Then I realised they were altogether a very deceitful, cynical and ruthless lot and the world would be better without the WTS.

• bluebell
    bluebell

I think im still in it sometimes! its scary the amount of conditioning i have. i only stopped about 4 years ago and still cant get past "blood". I think i would hav a blood transfusion if the issue came up, mainly because of everything iv found out about 1. transplants used to be bad 2. injections used to be bad 3. all the fractions they can have that use up huge amounts of stored blood to get them.

I still cant bring myself to eat blood product foods that my partner loves but im not sure if thats "jw" thinking or MY own squeamishness.

• moshe
    moshe

Once I decided to leave, I was done with everything connected to the WT. Now, it took me another 5 years to look at all religion as objectively as I did the WTSociety when I quit them.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I wanted to research the doctrines in 1995, but took another 9 years to start researching it.
    When I finally started, I avoided what they call "apostate" literature, so I stayed in WT think.

Finally in the Summer of 2006, I decided that the doctrine was wrong, and I needed to look
    at anti-JW information on the internet.

• When you first discovered what the Society was behind the scenes how long did it
      take you to stop thinking like a Jehovah’s Witness.

I suppose I didn't really "discover what the Society was behind the scenes" until June of 2006,
    so I was able to come out of thinking like a JW within 3 months.

• Did you still hold on to the teachings that you were taught despite
      finding out what the Society was all about?

I was steadily letting go of the teachings quickly, once I saw the truth about the GB, the NWT, the
    past false prophecies. I accepted that I had been in a mind-control cult, and I broke myself of the
    "pure language" and the "us vs. them (the world)" attitude. The biggest freedom of mind was shaking
    the judging of others as either worldly and immoral, or JW and spiritually weak, or somewhere inbetween.

• Honesty
    Honesty

It took about 5 long, hard years after I virtually ceased attending the kingdom hall.

• vitty
    vitty

Its been 3 years since I stopped going and still have cold shivers sometimes.

Last week someone asked me if I was a christian I said yes, then she asked if I was a catholic or protestant. It wasnt an appropriate setting for long explanations so I just said protestant...................I felt so guilty, I really felt I was denying Jehovah

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit