just to introduce myself

by alotlikemay 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Gayle
    Gayle

Welcome!

You know, the WT created a facade image of friends, thousands of "brothers & sisters", etc, when in reality for the most part is only a "bus stop conversation" with most. Actually, in reality, ones only have so much time to be there for very good friends and the friends only have so much time to be truly there for you (thru the good, bad & the ugly stuff as life is). One person said if you have "true" inner heart kind of friends as, perhaps as many as the fingers on one hand, then you are truly blessed. Friends come in all kinds of degrees. I think, at least you will find some people here, possibly to some degree of friendship, who will certainly relate to a unique part of you.

• anewme
    anewme

Welcome Alotlikemay!

• alphafemale
    alphafemale

Hiya alotlikemay, nice to meet you. When I joined 'the truth' I was very lonely and desperate to have some friends. I was in for around 15 years. I'm a shy person and 'reaching out' was a real effort but no matter how hard I tried I could never quite manage to belong to the 'in crowd' and I never had any real friends. I really feel that being a JW stunts a person's social development. Been out now for 13 years and only recently have I begun to make what I would call real friendships. I'm glad you're finding some good friends now you're out. Here's hoping both you and I meet some more real friends here too. Luv Alpha

• bluebell
    bluebell

Welcome, I still find it hard to make friends, but social skills are getting better!

• alotlikemay
    alotlikemay

wow, that's amazing - so many replies so soon!!

well, I got baptised in 1969 (I was 15) and left in 1991. I had been a full-time pioneer for 20 years by then. Always on the platform at assemblies and conventions 'cos of my long service. I'd go to different towns and sometimes people would walk up to me in the street because they recognised me from assemblies..

so to go from that to having no friends and no career (and no savings, no home of my own) overnight..... well, it was difficult to say the least. The JWs I left behind said I took the easy option by leaving - that's so wrong I have to laugh, though in fact it was tragic!

But I built myself a career and I learned to make friends - a note about the definition of friends in a minute - and I have my own home.

Friends - yeah, well, I find people confide in me an helluva lot (all those years' practice listening to people in the ministry, I guess) and I'm really really popular... but almost no-one really knows me!! not properly... they either don't know about my background or they don't understand it, so they really don't understand me - because my background as a JW was such an important (and long) part of my life and it has shaped me and I will never be rid of its effects entirely.... and it's quite lonely having this background and no-one you mix with on a daily basis really understands you.

Yes, I am lonely even though I'm the most popular person I know. It's sad. I cry every day, even after all these years.

Thank you to all of you for welcoming me. I'll be interested to see how it goes, how I fit in. I'll certainly try.

• alotlikemay
    alotlikemay
    ps I am loving the aliases 'cellist' (I too am a cellist) and 'Do Not Call' (that really made me laugh)
  • tall penguin
    tall penguin

(((alotlikemay)))

"Friends - yeah, well, I find people confide in me an helluva lot (all those years' practice listening to people in the ministry, I guess) and I'm really really popular... but almost no-one really knows me!! not properly... they either don't know about my background or they don't understand it, so they really don't understand me - because my background as a JW was such an important (and long) part of my life and it has shaped me and I will never be rid of its effects entirely.... and it's quite lonely having this background and no-one you mix with on a daily basis really understands you."

I really hear you. Being a jw is such a unique experience that most people will not be able to relate to. It impacts your thinking processes, your view of the world and how you process emotionally. There are so many jw trigger words that can evoke a response within seconds, even before you're consciously aware of what has happened. So ya, it's hard to find people to connect with who would really understand this. That's why I'm happy for this board. So glad you've made your way here.

tall penguin

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Yes, I am lonely even though I'm the most popular person I know. It's sad. I cry every day, even after all these years.

I am sorry that you suffer in this way. Isn't the human condition a mystery? We're surrounded by billions of other beings similar to ourselves and yet can feel this very real and very deep loneliness. Even people with family and friends that they interact with frequently can experience such pain. I guess what I'm saying is that as a member of the human family, you're not alone in feeling lonely. I hope you can find some solace and encouragement here. I know I have.

Love and respect,

Nvr

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

May I add my welcome Alotlikemay! Nice to see another Brit on the board. I bet you have some memeries of people and places that many of us could relate to. I look forward to your future posts

• alotlikemay
    alotlikemay

well, BluesBrother, I see you're in UK and actually that film has some memories for me in my pioneering days. Wouldn't it be so funny if we knew each other...! just that a couple of brothers I knew really well were obsessed with that film and passed the obsession onto me...

don't suppose you were ever in the south west, were you?

and thanks for your welcome!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit