Is the end really coming?

by themonster123 41 Replies latest watchtower medical

• themonster123
    themonster123

Well, as anyone on this board knows I"m a newbie....and Witnesses kind of are scaring me with their "end is coming" business. Basically, cuz of three things:

1) The last convention was called "Jehovah's Day At Hand!" (or whatever the tract we put out about that was called-where we invited everyone to the assembly

2) the very last tract we put out "False Religion's End is Near!"

3) Studying the Revelation book now in bookstudy (Not me personally, i don't go anymore-but that's what they're studying in bookstudy now)

SO!..... It seems like everything is getting so concentrated, like the Society is... getting ready? Also, the way EVERYONE and all my friends and stuff were/are talking, like, "You can just feel we're SO close to the end. I mean, the SOciety is totally getting ready." And in all the recent talks, they keep saying stuff like, "We're not in the time of the end, we're in the last SECOND of the time of the end." Why is all their tlaking about the time of the end getting so concentrated? For those who have been in or left the org. for many many years, can you clue me in-has
    "the end" always been so talked about like it is now? or is it just in their heads?

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug

I was a witness before 1975 and they were saying much the same thing back then. They have also had other "the end is near" scares. How many times do you suppose they can cry wolf.

• heathen
    heathen

Oh yah , they were so sure the end was coming in 1914 ,1975 and various other dates . When it didn't happen they said the world ended invisibly ..................... Now they claim making end time paranioa is a way of keeping people awake and persuing kingdom interests. So it wasn't false prophesy at all just a gimmick the whole time .........go figure.

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ

It's just in thier heads.

I was a witness before 1975 and they were saying much the same thing back then.

My dad was a JW in the 1970s and he said the same thing.

• Balsam
    Balsam

When my son saw his jw Dad yesterday he said. Hilary Clinton will get elected in and the end will happen in the next 4 years. Then he concluded that of course this was his opinion. Funny thing is that he has predicted the end coming every time there is a presidental election for the past 35 years. LOL Idiot man if he just listened to what he was saying he would have to realize that he has been saying the same thing since 1972. I just don't get how a person can cling so hard to such baloney. Even I woke up from the religious coma I was in, but he never has.

Same old stuff the the WTS has been spouting for years and years. I would have a hard time trying to keep a stright face at a convention with all that end time talk, so crazy. I feel for you having to listen to it.

Ruth

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

They have been in hyper focus mode as long as I remember. They change the teminology every few years, but it's the same deal.

When there's war or political unrest they press harder, then when the social climate settles down they'll start focusing on "Put your trust in Jah" and remind you that it is a endurance race, not a sprint.

• garybuss
    garybuss

Fear of impending doom is the result of phobia indoctrination. It's a member retention strategy. The fear of Armageddon and the feeling that you are being watched all the time will go completely away after some rational recovery.

I'd suggest reading Crisis of Conscience by Ray Franz as a start. Some of us like me needed some exit counseling. Returning to the group temporarily relives the exiting anxiety symptoms but the reasons for the exit are still there and cycles aren't very effective in establishing a recovery.

Exit symptoms range from mild anxiety all the way to a full blown anxiety disorder, depression, PTSD, and alcoholism, to name a few.

• greendawn
    greendawn

Themonster I don't know how long you have known the dubs but that is what they used to say back in the late 1970's when I first met them: it will be any time soon and now 29 years later again, it will be any time soon. And they have in fact been pressing that message since the first world war (having previously stated from around 1880 that 1914 was going to be the end which of course wasn't the case) so what's their credibility? NIL is it not? They are just playing with people's emotions in this case the emotion of fear and they are for ever intensifying it because their members got tired of the end not coming: "really any second now, the society is really gearing up for it", but how?

• metatron
    metatron

The first Watchtower was published in 1879 .

They've been saying that the End is Soon since then ( they thought that the Time of the End

started in 1799 with the nasty French Revolution). They've been making predictions for almost

130 years - and the most amazing thing of all?

Suckers still fall for it! It reminds me of a cartoon. A man is wearing a big sign that says

"The End is Near". He says, "it's a good business, I inherited it from my grandfather".

metatron

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

One of the reasons they like to believe "millions now living will never die" is because they don't want to think about their own end - death - which WILL come to everyone sooner or later, no matter what the Watchtower says. So they are willing to be kept in a state of near-hysteria about the end coming, because they don't want to think about the alternative.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit