Irish jwd'ers: Your culture and pastimes

by rebel8 22 Replies latest jw friends

• free2think
    free2think

lmao ninja, you bad boy.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Hi Rebel 8.

I started a topic on St. Patrick today and plan to add to the thread as time will allow. Hope you will visit and as you are researching Ireland, maybe you will find some interesting things to add to that thread as well.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/bible/172672/1/St-Patrick-A-Covenant-with-Brotherhood-of-the-Snake

As for a "taste of Ireland"...may I suggest blackened alligator tail in honor of legend of the Irish Crocodile?

• restrangled
    restrangled

I am married to a full blooded Irishman.......They are fiesty fellas, who love their moms and their wives. My husband's family comes from a county in Ireland that has the reputation of the "Fighting Irish". Tall, tough men with Black hair and blue eyes.

They are very tall, and strong. None of my guys like Irish food, so I never cook it. No boiled stuff, like cabbage, potatoes, etc,

My son's do like their Irish beer....Guiness. which I keep on hand. .St. Patricks day.....yes its a big deal to my 2 sons, but its celebrated on thier own. My 3 fellas are: 6 foot 3(husband), and 6 foot 2 and 6 foot 5.(sons)

r.

• rebel8
    rebel8

I started this thread 2 years ago and am still wondering the same thing, so I bumped it.

Just looked up "tatties".....do they taste good?

Here there is an Irish neighborhood, a pinch away from the ghetto, where they have several pubs. They're all dives except for one, which has a truck deliver a load of green-colored beer each year. The entire fest, which is today, consists of getting to the bar at 6 am and drinking all day until you pass out. Lots of vomiting, drunken driving, and peeing in the streets.

Good times.

Oh, lest I forget the K lassy decorations--green sequins and green plastic shamrocks from the Dollar Store.

Funny you should mention the dark hair. On past occassions when I had the poor judgement to attend the pukefest, I was asked many times why I am wearing a green shirt because obviously I am not Irish. This illustrates my point--no one has a goshdarn clue. Just an excuse to drink.

• White Dove
    White Dove

Nora Roberts has a trilogy that is really good. It's full of Irish lore, fights, a pub, and of course 3 love stories all happening on the shores of Ireland. The books qualify as "addictive."

Jewels of the Sun

Tears of the Moon

Heart of the Sea (right title?)

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

Up until recently Paddy's day has been a somber holiday in Ireland much to the dismay of tourists who make a special trip. It was one of two "dry days" (the other being Christmas) where no alcohol was sold at all.

I have no idea what the Catholic traditions are, but it's a day for celebrating national pride. Everyone wears green and lots of parades. My little boy will be marching in the local parade with his tae kwon do class. Should be a hoot.

But the Irish have latched onto the idea that drink on this "holy" day actually seems like a pretty good idea. It didn't really take that much convincing I think you can imagine. The church has totally lost control of people here now, so having them try to say it should be a dry day would just be a waste of time.

• Gregor
    Gregor

Cheers! Going to a party? Buy a packet of lime soft drink mix. Put a pinch on your tongue. Don't wear any green. When you are challenged stick your green tongue out and tell them you just ate a Leprechaun.

• ninja
    ninja

rebel....tatties are just potatoes.....round my bit of scotland we call them totties

• Bubblie
    Bubblie

Is it true the Guinness in Ireland tastes like chocolate? I heard this on TV.

Kit

• megs
    megs

Bubblie, Guinness in Ireland tastes the same as the Guinness you can buy there, I believe it's actually still made in Dublin though they could have expanded... If you're not up for the black stuff, try Harp's or Kilkenny's. Again, they taste the same in north american as in Ireland ;)

St. Patrick's Day used to be just another feast-day in Ireland, wasn't anything awfully special other than that Patrick is the patron St. of Ireland... It's the ex-pats that turned it into what it is today.

If you're looking for an Irish meal, try boxty or corned beef & cabbage... Ireland never was renowned for its cuisine.

I used to spend my summers in Ireland, my dad was an emigrant. A family meal at home in Ireland for me was typically a baked ham, spuds (potatoes), maybe cabbage or carrots, with soda bread... Dessert if we were lucky was cream cakes from the bakery... However, now the bakery has been shut down, not sure if the butcher is even still there... Tesco's has pretty much taken over, along with Super Quinn's & Super Value... *sigh* It's not the same place as it was when I was a child...

On a Friday, my family would watch the Gay Byrne show, he was the Irish equivalent of Johnny Carson. There's always the pub for the nightlife, and the odd time you'd catch a céilidh on a Friday or Saturday night (a dance).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit