Do you believe you have a particular purpose in life?

by journey-on 37 Replies latest jw friends

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

I make CO2 for plants to breath

• Xena
    Xena

Does this life have a purpose? lol didn't the dubs have a book by that name?

I don't necessarily feel purpose driven. There are things I want to do and things I would like to do, but I don't feel like there is anything I have to do. So technically I guess my answer is no.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Welcome, Journey-on .............

You have spoken well, IMHO. I feel we are here to learn lessons as well as to accomplish something, however great or small. My opinion is subjective, of course, given my long-term thinking as a JW. I have drifted from the WT concept, however, in that I strongly disagree that God will shut me out if I renounce the WTB&TS [I do]. I have asked God for affirmation of his love and blessing by making the Gidieon/fleece request. I realize this appears superstitious and cannot be substantiated, but in my heart I know I have been heard. The response was absolutely specific to my request. I cannot change over night. Should I?
    Francis of Assisi stated that true joy - and by my personal inference, life's real purpose - comes from humility and service to one's fellow. That has been my unvoiced sense of direction with or without the WT. Now my aim is to help my loved ones - kith or kin - to escape the confines of mind-control. The information and practical advice gathered here at JWD is preparing me for what I intend to be my life's work - rescue from WT indoctrination. Several are listening as I employ my gentle, backdoor approach.
    May your own efforts be blessed, and, once again, WELCOME!

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility
    against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
    --- Thomas Jefferson

CoCo

• SilverNyte
  • compound complex
    compound complex

Welcome to the forum, Silvernyte!

Thanx for the reminder to lighten up! We are all at different stages of decompression. Hope you enjoy your stay here as you lend support to your cousin.

CoCo

• Gayle
    Gayle

The Wt organization implanted in us to have this grand purpose part of worldwide, earthshattering, everlasting cause, only find it a complete con. Now I usually try keeping it simple as possible is more fulfilling to me, more loving, more peaceful, more joy.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

"Do you ever feel acutely aware that you are here to either learn a particular lesson in life or accomplish a particular goal?"

No.

I don't believe in the supernatural, so I don't see any creator breathing any of his essence into me or anyone else. I think it's a bit obscene to think that some higher power is directing me to a life-purpose when everyday I can pick up a paper or turn on the TV and see tens of thousands of children and babies blown to bits by bombs in Iraq or Israel, or hacked to death with machetes or starved to death in some African hell-hole of a country. That seems to be lacking any evidence that those poor souls were born with a life purpose, eh?

We may have the luxury of finding our purpose in the universe, but don't try to connect that with some great, grand, universal plan for yourself when millions of people are just trying not to be cannon fodder or rotting flesh and bones strewn over the landscape. If god is shaping a sense of purpose in people, he might want to give a few hundred more people the drive to be compassionate, just and intelligent leaders of their fellow humans instead of violent, greedy exploiters.

I agree with Tetra and several other posters here that we can subjectively create within ourselves a life with a sense of purpose. I don't necessarily feel we're born with it. I feel absolutely driven to be a writer, and that's how I've made my living for many years now, but what if I'd grown up illiterate? I doubt if I'd have developed the same desire. My girlfriend is driven to paint and draw, and she does both exceptionally well, but I would guess that is because art was her refuge growing up, and it became the way she expressed and saved herself. Practice gave her skill and time and interest gave her passion.

That's how we get a sense of purpose in our lives - we develop it within ourselves. I imagine in a lifetime you could have one great purpose, or pursue a dozen.

S4

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I believe my purpose is to expose the JW Cult for all its lies. I have had a horrible life, and there have been many things that have happened to me that defy all logic. Im gonna take the lemons that life has handed me, and make lemonade.

So many JW's and former JW's have ended their life over this mess they call a "religion". It's a miracle I have lasted this long. I feel it is my moral responsibility to warn people of the dangers of cults.

I have some really big plans in my future, along with my brother. I feel confident that we will succeed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit