Do you believe you have a particular purpose in life?

by journey-on 37 Replies latest jw friends

• journey-on
    journey-on

I ask this because as a JW, you are programmed to think your only purpose is to preach the good news of the kingdom....period. But more and more, I've noticed in my own life a strong pull toward something I won't elaborate on, but it has me thinking that maybe we really do each have a particular purpose and it's up to us to discover what it is. I know I'm kind of new to the forum, but please let me know if any of you have experienced this same kind of unusually strong pull toward something you can't fully explain.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I feel a deep sense of responsibility to have as much fun as possible. Included in this obligation is the mission to make others feel appreciated and dignified. Life's short, bad things are going to happen. We've got to enjoy the good stuff with passion.

Nvr

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

You mean other than to fck and scratch my balls?

• Satanus
    Satanus

Not so much a particular purpose, as a whole series of obstacles to overcome. It seems like a sort of game that i chose before coming here, where i grew up in serious problems that were tied together. These include a disfunctional mother, a partly functional father, a totally disfunctional family, and a screwed up cult religion. Experiencing them left me handicapped in some areas. The challenges are to recognise them, see how they bound me, release myself from them, fix myself (if possible), and then develop a good life. Not sure if i'll make it.

S

• UnConfused
    UnConfused

First do no harm....then take it from there.

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

My purpose is to do my own small part to contribute to the entropy of the universe.

• helncon
    helncon

Over the years i have had many serious relationships and one of my last i could never understand my purpose of it all it was great but just not right.

But later after we had split and he moved on with another girl i realised that i was preparing him for a full on relationship as he never wanted to move in with me or have any kids now a few years later he is married kids and a house so go figure.

So my purpose in life now is just to be me and take care of my own family.

Helen

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

happy B-DAY journey-on!

I ask this because as a JW, you are programmed to think your only purpose is to preach the good news of the kingdom....period. But more and more, I've noticed in my own life a strong pull toward something I won't elaborate on, but it has me thinking that maybe we really do each have a particular purpose and it's up to us to discover what it is. I know I'm kind of new to the forum, but please let me know if any of you have experienced this same kind of unusually strong pull toward something you can't fully explain.

for me this question biols down to whether "purpose" and "meaning" in ones life is an objective thing (existing outside of ourselves) or is a subjective thing (coming from within).

so far, i have found little reason to believe that my life has objective purpose/meaning. basically, this is because the more i learn about the universe, the less i see it as even remotely concerned with the affairs of homo sapiens. not that i see the universe as mean, just indifferent.

the journey from being a j-dub to the person i am now has been a long one, and is far from over, hopefully. it has been a journey that involved going from a sincere belief that my life had objective meaning (jehovah) handed to me from on high, to the rebirth of sincerely giving my own life meaning (subjective).

at this point, the meaning/purpose i have for my life is to heal from the unhealthy pathologies of my ancestors, and endeavor to help my fellow humans heal from them too. i believe that humanity is only centuries away from profound psychological/spiritual awakening/evolution, and that anything i can leave behind to help is "good". some people think we are only years away, but i prefer not to become emotionally involved in such a proposition. it would be nice, but a surprise to me. humans aren't that bright, yet.

apart from my desire to help other carriers of my genome, another desire to help the *earth* (flora/fauna/tera) is superceding the former. and more and more, this is where i define my allegiance. servitude to earth, not just to man.

the more i come into line with these concepts, the less i see "subjective" as inferior to "objective". but that's probably because "servitude to earth" is technically less subjective than christianity.

i dunno. i wish i could formulate better. anyways, ya. peace.

tetra

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

I think we have all been given God given gifts/talents and discovering them, then putting them into practice for God's glory and help/encouragement to our fellow humans is our purpose.

That means great variety on how we each live our lives out.

Outaservice

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

Purpose: Eat, drink, inject the produce of the "upper thigh".

Also, try to help others, unless they demonstrate they don't want help.

BA- Thruthful, not bashful.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit